Channel Map and Distance Shading Internal vs External

Cool-Hand

The distance is rendered very dark, but the airfields are not from the cockpit of the P-47 making them oddly stand out. The External view looks fine. Does anyone run into this issue on the Channel map? I don't recall this on my machine until recently I started playing Reflected's WolfPack campaign. I tried deleting the shaders and Fxo folders in the Saved Games, but this did not solve my issue.

Screen_210928_225744.png

Screen_210928_235619.png

Screen_210928_235622.png

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I experience the same in the Spitfire in VR. The airfields stick out of this shaded mess that clears up when zoomed in, and in external view you can see a "shade bubble" around the player.

Abbeville airfield surrounded by sea-like darkness:

x2gDw7Y.png

Zoom clearing everything up:

V3mx6Wt.png

Render bubble visible on the left side in the distance:

hSlgZC6.png

Same issue here too.

It's not visible at low altitude, but the higher you go the more apparent it is. It's almost like you have a circle or bubble of normal map around you to a certain distance, beyond the circle the ground is black. I thought it may be related to the "draw distance" option in the main menu but after increasing this it appears to have no effect on the size of the circle.

I only recently noticed this issue too. Happens on MP and SP for me.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@BIGNEWYI have seen this not only in the channel map, but also in Caucasus from time to time. In VR. Cannot say if it 2D is the same. 

It is flying High altitude when you see it and it is arround the plane. Like a LOD texture that is clariflying when you move to the area. It is very ugly and removes inmersion. Only happens on land, not on water and if you climb high enough you will see it is an square around you.

It has been there since recent updates. At least I remember it since Summer. Previously I didn't. Maybe VR optimization update? or Maybe cloud shadows optimization?

(image captured from VR DCS mirror)

DarkBubble.jpg

Edited by Japo32
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for your video, @Nealius. I believe what's obstructing your view is the static cloud ceiling which comes and goes every 3 minutes or so (long story here) and sits at around 50.000 feet.

But when I do as you do (track attached), I'm still unable to replicate the issue. Are you guys using a mod to alter the appearance of this static cloud ceiling? This would explain why it is not transparent on your end.

Channel_high altitude_test.trk

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

No mods, and the visiblity issue occurs at all atltidues, not only above 50,000ft. Your track does not exhibit the issue when replayed or played as a .miz file. 

However, I found that the bug does not appear on missions created after the 2.7.6.12852 update or perhaps earlier. It only occurs on missions created prior to 2.7.6.12852, which would force campaign creators to redo everything from zero. 

Here you can see that at 29,000ft, the visible radius is only 14nm, as measured from the camera coordinates to the visible airfield.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.12.28 - 10.00.18.27.png

altitude_test.trk

Edited by Nealius

We're getting somewhere. I confirm I can reproduce the issue thanks to your track. 👍 Now, we must find what differs between old .miz files and new .miz files.

Note to everyone: please, please, if you want your bug report to be quickly reported (and thus, fixed faster), include a track showing the issue.

OK_Channel_sky.miz BUGGED_Channel_sky.miz

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

I remember this one! 😀

I've just found the source of the issue: this is not about .miz date of creation, this is about mission date. March 1st to May 31st triggers the issue.

Edited by Flappie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...