spotting in VR: flying ac's merge with the background at medium/close range

peachmonkey

hi, guys,

in WWII warbirds where the fight is upclose and personal it is extremely difficult to spot a flying aircraft when it's within 0.5-3km radius.

The distant airplanes pop up as black dots and I can see them 10-20km out. But once they get close it's almost impossible to locate them against the ground without using VR zoom. They sort of turn in to some amalgamation of gray colors and simply merge with the ground. I can barely see them against the light ground patches but as soon as they fly over forests and/or shaded areas - poof and they are gone. Forget about ID'ing them, I can't even find them..

I've compared this behavior between MSAAx2 and No MSAA and there is not much difference. It seems it's a LOD issue rather than any anti-aliasing.

Is there any way to improve this behavior?

Edited by peachmonkey
title correction

It is a recurring problem in DCS and isn't VR specific. I am afraid there isn't much you can do.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

5 minutes ago, The LT said:

It is a recurring problem in DCS and isn't VR specific. I am afraid there isn't much you can do.

thank you for the response. The situation is bleak for sure..

the other sim (I*2) had a similar issue and the dev fixed after a year of constant complaining. How long has this issue existed in DCS? 😄

It has been a losing battle, unfortunately. ED refuses to acknowledge the problem while suggesting nothing apart from turning the labels on. They insist that all the modeling is "geometrically correct" and refuse to add the "Smart Scaling" option which has been implemented in other sims to great success, touting its unrealism and overall inferiority as a solution.

So, we're stuck with it being "correct as is". There have been numerous threads about it, numerous people have been banned as well. Should this thread evolve into an active one, it will be closed and swift measures taken against those who are too vocal about it.

Democracy at its finest. I am sorry, sir. That's just the way things are. 

• Like 2

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

I did post a scaling question last week but got no replies, I guess it's obvious now.

But this isn't about scale. It's about the ac LOD at mid/close distance. It needs to be modified so it stands out against the dark background. For example trying to see a low flying aircraft over water from the altitude of 1.5-2.0km is simply impossible, you just can't... the only way to know if there's something there is when the aircraft is trailing smoke. Otherwise it's gone.

If ED paints these close/mid-range LODs in black color similar to very distant objects then they'll be visible. But this gray mess is impossible to pick up.

• peachmonkey changed the title to spotting in VR: flying ac's merge with the background at medium/close range

Totally agree, to the point where I’ve gone back to jets again after a brief time with the Spitfire. Dogfighting in the warbirds is fantastic fun, but too often I would lose visual once they got close, I mean you could see them from miles and miles away then all of a sudden they’d just vanish. Then reappear on your six!  Frustrating 

• Like 1

I believe in ED's renewed interest in WWII with the release of the Mosquito and the in-progress build of the Corsair (3rd party). I think if we keep it civil and provide the necessary screenshot evidence then we aren't doing anything bad.. just bringing the light to the ongoing issue and the frustration within the ww2 MP scene.

Can this be modded at least for the SP use?

Edited by peachmonkey
added a question

I can't believe it but I'm on ED's side on this one... No, actually in my opinion these black dots from afar are a bit too visible. Perhaps an occasional sparkle from a sun reflection on a canopy. At mid to 2 or 3 nm, it all depends on background and and lighting angle... and eyes. 🤓 I use a lot of foul language when I loose track of a bandit but that's definitely not BS. 

One thing that cracks me up is an exaggerated puff of smoke effect from the motors. :biggrin: It applies to almost all jets here and could be a life saver.  

1 hour ago, Gripes323 said:

At mid to 2 or 3 nm, it all depends on background and and lighting angle... and eyes. 🤓

In VR no matter how much you stare at the spot you won't see it. If there were occasional reflection/sparkle it'd stand out like a sore thumb and would be a welcomed feature but alas there's absolutely nothing coming from the wwii warbirds.

In VR no matter how much you stare at the spot you won't see it. If there were occasional reflection/sparkle it'd stand out like a sore thumb and would be a welcomed feature but alas there's absolutely nothing coming from the wwii warbirds.
There are light effects, but they are present only on base model in close. There aren't any on distant LODs. You are absolutely spot on with your analysis.
  • Like 2

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat