Your HUEY ALTIMETER

DishDoggie

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, admiki said:

That war is done now. You have both in the briefing

Which is which? I see NAV and METEO but I can't find those terms in any English-speaking flight school materials. There is only one "wind," neither "nav" nor "meteo," and it is always FROM. 

Google isn't helping either. It literally only exists in DCS but search results only give the changelogs, no explanation. 

Edited by Nealius

9 hours ago, Nealius said:

Which is which? I see NAV and METEO but I can't find those terms in any English-speaking flight school materials. There is only one "wind," neither "nav" nor "meteo," and it is always FROM. 

Google isn't helping either. It literally only exists in DCS but search results only give the changelogs, no explanation. 

Yeah, I agree on terms. NAV is DCS wind, which means TO and METEO is real world winr which is FROM. To be honest, I have no idea why a system that tries so hard to replicate flying environment messed this up so bad.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 10:38 AM, unhappytroll said:

oh no, not the QNH vs QFE holy war again

Both of those are used in aviation on a daily basis. So there is no war to be fought there.

As for wind, I don't know how ED managed to get the wind backwards. But it looks like they succeeded nicely.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:38 PM, unhappytroll said:

oh no, not the QNH vs QFE holy war again

What War ? 

In the OP all I can see it's a summarization of altimeter settings....

BTW, to some extent ( limited but modeled ) DCS also models QFF, since it does vary geopotential height due to low / high Temperatures. You can try it by flying around in mountainous terrain with a same base QNH, and then varying season from Summer to Winter and the temperatures way above or way bellow ISA ( 15 ºC ). You'll find that in Winter with low temperatures in DCS for a same QNH setting you will actually be at a lower height for the same indicated altitude ( read in your altimeter ), while in Summer at high T you'll be higher for that same indicated Altitude ( same QNH ).

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

lol I learn as I go (when I feel like it) and never thought this post would get the comments it has. (I enjoyed each one thank you) The reason I did this post is because I Knew nothing about Altimeters other then the standard 100' 1000' reading and so on. The Huey has 3 different Altimeters I searched around (Forum) but didn't find any info to help my small brain soak up more understanding of all 3. So I went to the Huey PDF Manual got the types and read up on them, then went to the web for more info. In my small Brain I thought I would put this image together for new people like me starting to grow brain cells. I knew nothing about the Mean Sea Level setting. Grew my brain cells on that alone. Well I thought this would be interesting to a new person looking for the same thing I was. That's why I posted this. Lol sorry for starting up any old wars. I did find that information on wind confusing HOWEVER the post was not about that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DishDoggie said:

lol I learn as I go (when I feel like it) and never thought this post would get the comments it has. (I enjoyed each one thank you) The reason I did this post is because I Knew nothing about Altimeters other then the standard 100' 1000' reading and so on. The Huey has 3 different Altimeters I searched around (Forum) but didn't find any info to help my small brain soak up more understanding of all 3. So I went to the Huey PDF Manual got the types and read up on them, then went to the web for more info. In my small Brain I thought I would put this image together for new people like me starting to grow brain cells. I knew nothing about the Mean Sea Level setting. Grew my brain cells on that alone. Well I thought this would be interesting to a new person looking for the same thing I was. That's why I posted this. Lol sorry for starting up any old wars. I did find that information on wind confusing HOWEVER the post was not about that.

• Like 1