DTC for DCS - new version 7.2.0 - Apache added

SFJackBauer

2 hours ago, SFJackBauer said:

Sup everyone.

Sorry for the blackout. Things in life happened and I ended up taking a break from DCS for a while. The break then got longer, then longer, and then longer until now. I did not had headspace to think about this, but I should have at least left some message here.

In any case, this is done in a completely voluntary basis. I added p-louis way back as a contributor to the repository since he volunteered to implement the Hornet and the Apache, and I can see he has done a lot in that regard. I will try to dedicate time to support what has been done and improve in any way that could be done, but the primary module I fly is the F-16 so that is where I spent more time developing.

Now I want to address some topics:

- Error about TCP connection on port 43001

The DTC software works this way: It has a bidirectional connection to DCS, to send and to receive data. To receive data, the DCS lua script opens a UDP port 43000, which the DTC software reads. This port is only read when doing waypoint capture from DCS. On the other hand, to send data, the DCS lua script opens a TCP port 43001, and the DTC software tries to connect to this port when doing the upload to jet. If the DCS lua script does not create the port, the DTC software will error when trying connect to it.

Therefore the most common reason for this error is just an improper installation of the LUA script in the Saved Games folder. If you follow the install instructions it should work. This is the same way other mods that needs to read/send data to DCS work.

Virus warnings

Virus detection is a complex subject and the antivirus tools uses a series of heuristics to flag an executable as malicious. For example, the fact it needs to connect to the lua script may be a factor to flag it. Also there is no installer and Windows tends to flag executables downloaded from the internet as suspicious. Its a fact people use liberally other mods (from DCS and other games) without checking its source code and the reason they do not get flagged is just because an installer is used... and thats fine because security is also a function of the perceived trust and the empirical evidence of the software actually doing something weird. To be honest, the safest way if you are paranoid is to never download any executable from the internet at all, but who lives like that? In any case the DTC code is open and anyone can always inspect it and/or compile on your own machine if you are willing to go to that length. Or... not use it at all.

With that said, I will investigate adding an installer if this just means making it less bothersome for people who actually wants to use it. I've inspected the latest version of the code and there is nothing implemented beyond the purpose of the software.

- Discord

I am considering opening a Discord server dedicated to this mod, so people can discuss it, suggest features and support each other. Is it something worthwhile? I would like feedback on this.

Cheers.

Glad to see that you're back! I just want you to know how invaluable this software really is. In my community DCS DTC is mandatory and we use it every single session, doing all of our planning in CombatFlite. Any further developments are welcome, especially to the F-16C! 😁

And if you created a discord, I'd join in a heartbeat. I have both feature requests and at least one bug report that I can think of off the top of my head. It'd be good to have a discord server to discuss these things in a more organized manner than a single forum thread.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Am 12.1.2023 um 13:15 schrieb WHOGX5:

Quote from a member in my community who's infinitely more knowledgeable than me when it comes to IT stuff:

"It connects to HTTPS servers on the internet which are part of a CDN, it seems to include packed / crypted data and it creates guard pages..."

I trust his judgement and I'd rather be safe than sorry. He's checked previous releases of DCS DTC as well since they all give off anti-virus warnings, but RC13 was the first patch that he told us, in no uncertain terms, not to download.

That is just incorrect and sounds like you've been bull<profanity>ted by that community member.

The only connectivity it has is with localhost, one is a TCP connection on 43001 (to control cockpit inputs) and the other is UDP on 43002 (to get readings of the map position for coordinate capture). It listening for UDP broadcasts is likely the reason the heuristic is incorrectly identifying it as trojan. This has also happened with earlier releases.

I have since submitted RC13 with Microsoft to ensure it's no longer producing a false positive. If it still does for you, make sure to update you windows defender definitions to solve that.

• SFJackBauer changed the title to DTC for DCS - new version 4.0.3 - Adding the Hornet, automated install
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SFJackBauer changed the title to DTC for DCS - new version 4.1.3 - Hornet improvements, bugfixes

Version 4.1.3 released

https://github.com/the-paid-actor/dcs-dtc/releases/tag/4.1.3

New Features

- [General] Updated airbases to include Sinai map (by FireNLD)
- [F16] Add OA/VIP/VRP input
- [F16] Add laser start time setting
- [F16] Expand range of configurable laser codes
- [F18] Bullseye WP selection
- [F18] Adds ILS channel selection
- [F18] Adds option to hide map on HSI

Bugfixes

- [General] Reworked coordinate capture and conversion
- [General] Adjust in-cockpit upload to after 1s elapsed, instead of only after releasing the button
- [General] Switching presets without restarting caused multiple presets to be uploaded together
- [F16] Fixes ILS frequency not completing with zeros
- [F18] Capture coordinate from F10 map on incorrect format
- [F18] If on TAC page on right DDI it breaks waypoint input
- [F18] Supports properly 3 decimal digits on radios
- [F18] Fixes AP TacBlim to not depend on jet configuration

• Like 3

• SFJackBauer changed the title to DTC for DCS - new version 4.1.3 - Viper OA/VIP/VRP and Hornet improvements, bugfixes

Posting here as well as in the discord, I found a workaround to allow you to keep DTC Overlayed on DCS in Full Screen mode.

Download and install Microsoft Powertoys.

In powertoy settings for "always on top" uncheck the box that disables it when game mode is on.

Start DTC and use the shortcut (default windows key + control + t) to enable it to be always on top.

Profit! 

• Like 1

• SFJackBauer changed the title to DTC for DCS - new version 5.0.2 - Strike Eagle support

Version 5.0.2 released!

https://github.com/the-paid-actor/dcs-dtc/releases/tag/5.0.2

https://discord.gg/saCACg99EZ

F-15E Strike Eagle support
This release adds basic support for the Strike Eagle. You can upload steerpoints and program displays for the front seat. More features will be added over time.

LIMITATIONS

- Only the pilot displays are configurable.
- If the displays already have pages configured, the app will skip this part of the upload. Support for overwriting displays configurations will be added in the future.
- If you experience any bugs, please report on Discord.

New Features

- [F15E] Initial implementation - waypoints, display pages for the pilot, bingo/LAW/TACAN/ILS
- [F16] Turns on left/right HDPT power so that HTS and laser settings are always applied
- [F18] Removes dependency on jet state for PP coordinate upload. DTC now correctly selects the station, the mission type (PP) and the PP slot independently of previous user selection
- [General] Separates CommandDelay settings per aircraft

Bugfixes

- [General] Bringing the app to the foreground from the cockpit does not steal focus from DCS
- [General] Do not block app from running if DCS is not installed
- [F16] Fixes CMS settings for computers with language other than English/US
- [F16] Fixes OA/VRP settings for computers with language other than English/US

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for keeping the DTC mod running and updated

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• SFJackBauer changed the title to DTC for DCS - new version 5.0.3 - Strike Eagle support

Sorry if this has been asked before. But I just downloaded it and installed it properly. But for some reason with the strike eagle it doesnt pick up the LAT LONG. What am I doing wrong, I have tried both fullscreen and borderless

• 2 weeks later...

Code question here, does this mod work simultaneously with TheWay?

I'm curious about some things concerning lua. Both files define functions that have the same name, such as LuaExportAfterNextFrame() for example. How does this work? Are functions within a lua file automatically "local"?

On 7/12/2023 at 1:06 PM, FusRoPotato said:

Code question here, does this mod work simultaneously with TheWay?

I'm curious about some things concerning lua. Both files define functions that have the same name, such as LuaExportAfterNextFrame() for example. How does this work? Are functions within a lua file automatically "local"?

Yes, it works simultaneously with any mod that uses Exports.

Any script using Lua Exports uses these functions, its not exclusive to this mod. To make them work together, each script has to call the LuaExport* defined by the previous script in a chain.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:06 PM, Tallman said:

Sorry if this has been asked before. But I just downloaded it and installed it properly. But for some reason with the strike eagle it doesnt pick up the LAT LONG. What am I doing wrong, I have tried both fullscreen and borderless

I check the forums very rarely. If you need support the best way is to ask on Discord.

• SFJackBauer changed the title to DTC for DCS - new version 5.1.0 - Strike Eagle Radios, Displays
On 7/31/2023 at 5:19 AM, Badger1-1 said:

Love this mod, but everytime I click the DTC Window im ending up on the desktop. Not a crash it just tabs out to the desktop.

Any advise? 

I had found always on top from Microsoft powertools as a work around, but it stopped recently. I purchase display fusion and set up a trigger to keep the window (dcs) in focus and it mostly works, I just need to tap the alt key when I go back to flying or else my controls don't respond.

Its not as hard to setup as the above may sound. Your other option is to not run in full screen mode.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2023 at 6:19 AM, Badger1-1 said:

Love this mod, but everytime I click the DTC Window im ending up on the desktop. Not a crash it just tabs out to the desktop.

Any advise? 

If you run DCS in full screen, any other app would not be visible on top of it. Its not different with this app. To be able to see it on top, uncheck the Fullscreen setting to run DCS in borderless full screen.

New version released - 5.2.0

[General] New VR-friendly coordinate capture method. Ctrl+Shift+D will open a window while in a mission allowing you to capture coordinates and send to the DTC app.

image.png

https://github.com/the-paid-actor/dcs-dtc/releases/tag/5.2.0

Discord for questions and support - https://discord.com/invite/saCACg99EZ

Edited by SFJackBauer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• SFJackBauer changed the title to DTC for DCS - new version 5.2.0 - VR-friendly coordinate capture