Engine Fails To Start.

bart

Engine fails to start on the cold and dark SP mission or on a MP server.

I run through the start up procedure, get to 20% engine rpm and open the HP cock on the throttle and nothing happens. Engine continues to spool at 20%. I have the throttle Idle/Cut off bound to my Warthog throttle. In the track you can see the throttle move to the idle position and the start fails. I have also tried the keyboard bind RShift + Home which also opens the throttle to the idle position but the engine still fails to start.

Track attached.

Fail to start.trk

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Did you let the RPM stabilize at/above 20% and wait for the SEC light to go out, before advancing the throttle?

If not, you got a hung start, which is a new feature and was clearly mentioned in the patch notes

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

With the throttle at idle and elec on but before you start the APU select cut off then start the APU and once the engine has stabilised at 20%+ then open the throttle to idle and you should be good 

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

18 minutes ago, Nuggetz said:

With the throttle at idle and elec on but before you start the APU select cut off then start the APU and once the engine has stabilised at 20%+ then open the throttle to idle and you should be good 

For the record: the F-16 does not have an APU, but uses a JFS (Jet Fuel Starter)

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

3 hours ago, Mud said:

For the record: the F-16 does not have an APU, but uses a JFS (Jet Fuel Starter)

I stand corrected. However the process works hence fixing the issue 

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

19 hours ago, Falconeer said:

Did you let the RPM stabilize at/above 20% and wait for the SEC light to go out, before advancing the throttle?

I believe this has been the issue. I didn't realise a change had been made to enable the hung start. In the track I open the throttle a split second before the SEC light extinguishes and thus entered the hung start. Once this has been triggered that seems to be that! No further issues encountered now that I understand the new mechanic and wait for the SEC's light to go out.

Thanks for all the input fellas.

On a secondary note though, if you open the HP cock on the throttle before the sec's light extinguishes wouldn't the system allow fuel into the engine combustion chamber anyway and you would see a rapid increase in JPT without a corresponding increase in engine RPM (%)?, a sure indication of a hung engine start, and the operator would therefore shut the HP cock on the throttle immediately and allow the engine to continue to spool to keep the airflow going through the engine to cool it down and get rid of all the extra fuel. I had no indication of any rise in JPT on my start on the track file, it was as if I had no fuel going to the engine at all. Or has the Viper got another system whereby it will not allow the fuel to enter the engine even if the HP cock is opened prior to reaching the critical RPM necessary for full engine start?. I also read somewhere that the Sec's light extinguishes at 70% RPM when engine control switches to the primary control loop at this point, it doesn't go out at 20% as ours does. I am not sure what Block version of the F16 this info was applicable too however so this may or may not be relevant to our F16. 

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• 3 weeks later...

The same thing happened many times. Not always, but many times it didn't start. I didn't understand the reason for this non-start.
The assumption was that it happens when the canopy is closed and the UHF is not working , i.e. no communication with ground personnel and no launch.

But I had it happen with the canopy open and the UHF on.

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

1 hour ago, SMN said:

The same thing happened many times. Not always, but many times it didn't start. I didn't understand the reason for this non-start.
The assumption was that it happens when the canopy is closed and the UHF is not working , i.e. no communication with ground personnel and no launch.

But I had it happen with the canopy open and the UHF  

Let the rpm stabilize and wait for the SEC light to go out, before advancing the throttle to idle

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat