I was doing some air to ground practice in a mission today and was maybe lets say being a bit "ham handed" & unsympathetic to the poor old jet, ( Piling on the G's in the turns when loaded ect)  firstly I noticed that it was becoming somewhat unresponsive - I had to really be slow and steady with the controls. Carried out another dive bomb attack and when rolling out aquire the target,. the jet was all over the place...then there was bang and the wing came off!!!! 

When the jet first started feeling "not normal" 5 minutes previously, I did wonder if anything was wrong, but could see no cautions etc...

So is it modelled that the jet can be damaged by insensitive handling in this situation? and why no warnings? I would have thought the FCS would step in etc and you would at least get some cautions etc? 

I have many hours in the jet and never had anything like this happen before so am curious ? Random failures is off as well.....

Thanks

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Unlike in the Viper, in the Hornet the G limiter is "one size fits all", and as such, it's configured for air combat. If you're pulling 7G or so with big payload under the wings, they'll bend and break eventually. FCS is not magic, it can only do so much. 

As for warnings, you did get one: degraded aircraft handling. There are no structural integrity sensors in the Hornet, and as it happened, no other system has failed first. IRL, you'd probably get stores malfunctions before the wings came off, but that particular failure isn't simulated in DCS.

Thanks, no, no shooting as far as I am aware, it was the range. I have noticed in the past on a couple of occasions that the controls can become a little unresponsive and the jet becomes a bit of a handful if you try to hard with the yanking and banking.......but was fairly sure I had not broken anything as it kind of came back to me after I eased off and got her straight and level again.......anyone else notice this? I guess you have to remember, its not a TIE fighter and there is such thing as gravity!! 

@Mower, yes, me too, currently at 600+ hours and never had this happen before.....

I remember from Falcon days, the FCS restricts what the jet can do depending on the loading - no such animal in the Hornet

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

6 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Unlike in the Viper, in the Hornet the G limiter is "one size fits all", and as such, it's configured for air combat. If you're pulling 7G or so with big payload under the wings, they'll bend and break eventually. FCS is not magic, it can only do so much. 

As for warnings, you did get one: degraded aircraft handling. There are no structural integrity sensors in the Hornet, and as it happened, no other system has failed first. IRL, you'd probably get stores malfunctions before the wings came off, but that particular failure isn't simulated in DCS.

g limit in the Hornet is weight dependent and not a "one size fits all". FCS page will show available g at all times. The viper on the other hand is AoA limited in cat 3 but not G limited AFAIK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:06 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

This is nonsense. First of all, there is no g-limiter in the Viper. Second of all, its highly unlikely that any aircraft, military or civilian, will have anything mounted to the wings in such a way that the mounts can take a stronger load than what the wing can actually handle before failing. That would be a gross engineering negligence. 

carry 4 gbu-10, full afterburner diving for 30 degree from 30k to reach supersonic, at around 5k ft, pull your stick to the end while clicking pinky paddle to override G-limit, you might get a chance to break your wings. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

11 hours ago, Jenson said:

carry 4 gbu-10, full afterburner diving for 30 degree from 30k to reach supersonic, at around 5k ft, pull your stick to the end while clicking pinky paddle to override G-limit, you might get a chance to break your wings. 

Heavy loads or not, the jet was happily ripping through the air at 9.7 g. After few seconds, of course I was asleep...

If you really want to get rid of your wings, accelerate to about M.9 or more in a level flight, flip the FCS gain switch to override, push the stick all the way forward and let go. When you see the pitch oscillations picking up, pull the stick all the way back. When the nose goes up to 15/20 deg., you'll see a nice orange glow in the mirrors.

I only wanted to know what I was doing wrong.........😀