New to Reverb g2 issues

RvL

Ok, one last test and using FPSVR while standing still at Batumi airport in the P51.

Left is SteamVR SS at 60%. Right is SS at 100%.

At 60% my menus are 90fps and stutterfree, but in cockpit its a mess.
At 100% my menus are stuck at 60fps and its a stuttery mess everywhere.

A little later doing another test again at 60% SS my fps was mostly at 60 and the stutters were a little less, but still too much to enjoy.

My mirror screen is always fluent no matter how much stutters i see through the lenses.

Im not that familiar with how to read the info using these fps/frametime apps.
If someone could clarify some things its much appreciated.

FPSVR.jpg

FPSVR2.jpg

Edited by RvL

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

2 hours ago, funkster said:

Looks like the GPU is the bottleneck for you. (Mine is CPU).

What is the PD set at in DCS? should be 1 ideally. 

Also have you tried throttling back the GPU related settings (Shows GPU or CPU impact in tooltip now which is good) - Any impact?

I always have PD set at 1.0.

I have tried everything regarding to settings in DCS. Im sure this has nothing to do with DCS since it used to work great with the same hardware im still using. 

Earlier this year i upgraded my cpu and went from a 2600 to a 5600x.

With the 2600 my gpu usage wouldnt go much higher then 60%. With the 5600x cpu my gpu goes near 100% with ease.

This also happend a few weeks before when my G2 worked fine.

I have no idea why my current issue is happening now. Im still hoping that trying another motherboard magically solves it.

Havent been contacted today by the supplier about further actions. Im going to order a new motherboard again today and i will see what to do with my current motherboard if they will take it back yes or no.

Edited by RvL

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

Just ordered another motherboard. Went for the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus.

Will be interesting to see tomorrow when installed if its going to make the difference im hoping for.

Just finished testing. 

And im ready to throw out my pc at the garbage. Nothing has changed except 120 euros lighter and hours into replacing hardware, installing software and testing.

I got my pc for playing just this game, DCS, and i cant play it anymore. Shoot me, im totally done with this.

Im out of ideas and testing. #$$&#*#

Edited by RvL

I did not spend nearly as much time as you did in testing different configs, but I think I'm running into similar issues as well.

Also ASUS TUF B550M with RTX 3070, 5600X, 32GB RAM and Reverb G2.

At SteamVR 100% I can't ever get beyond 50FPS (PD 1.0). Not sure how everyone's even able to get to around 90 FPS?!

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

11 minutes ago, JazonXD said:

I did not spend nearly as much time as you did in testing different configs, but I think I'm running into similar issues as well.

Also ASUS TUF B550M with RTX 3070, 5600X, 32GB RAM and Reverb G2.

At SteamVR 100% I can't ever get beyond 50FPS (PD 1.0). Not sure how everyone's even able to get to around 90 FPS?!

When my g2 worked great in comparison right now, my fps was mostly also set at 45fps with motion smoothing enabled. It only went to 90 when not much was happening arround me or looking in the sky.

This at 80% SS and PD at 1.0.

Are you also having continiously stutters when moving your head arround?

Edited by RvL

if your using a G2 Reverb your not going to get above 45 per eye in DCS that's a given. the higher resolution panels is what your GPU is pushing.

Also those B550 mobos have had many issues with trying to run the latest VR panel, or headsets, combined with a AMD card.\

try setting your AMD control panel to unlimited shaders?

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

17 hours ago, RvL said:

When my g2 worked great in comparison right now, my fps was mostly also set at 45fps with motion smoothing enabled. It only went to 90 when not much was happening arround me or looking in the sky.

This at 80% SS and PD at 1.0.

Are you also having continiously stutters when moving your head arround?

It's hard for me to decipher what's stuttering and just simply low FPS... haha. I get around 30FPS at 100% SS and PD 1.0 with MSAA 2x (I like the picture quality of MSAA as it removes shimmering on edges)

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

2 hours ago, JazonXD said:

It's hard for me to decipher what's stuttering and just simply low FPS... haha. I get around 30FPS at 100% SS and PD 1.0 with MSAA 2x (I like the picture quality of MSAA as it removes shimmering 

The stutters im getting are not possible to deny. 

I prefer the 2xmsaa on also, but i used to have to turn down SS to 80% and most details to medium to low and shadows to flat to be able to have a stable fps.

Right now it looks like i will have to turn it down even further to enjoy VR.

Edited by RvL

1 hour ago, some1 said:

At the moment iam in W11. But i have tried W10 multiple times in the pas few weeks and also W10 gave me the exact same issues.

Do you have hardware GPU scheduling on in Windows settings? (HAGS)

It breaks reprojection, you should have it disabled if you plan to use motion smoothing. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

3 minutes ago, some1 said:

Do you have hardware GPU scheduling on in Windows settings? (HAGS)

It breaks reprojection, you should have it disabled if you plan to use motion smoothing. 

Its disabled.

Right, then unfortunately I'm out of ideas. 

There's nothing wrong showing on your FPS VR screens, other that you don't have reprojection enabled as your fps is above 45.

The GPU is at the limit on the second screenshot, which will also prevent reprojection from working - you need to keep the GPU utilization at around 80% or below to use it. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

@RvL did you try disabling hotplug in controls setting yet? I'd imagine you already have but didn't see you mention it in this thread yet.

6 hours ago, JazonXD said:

@RvL did you try disabling hotplug in controls setting yet? I'd imagine you already have but didn't see you mention it in this thread yet.

Thanks, but yeah, i already did that.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:23 AM, RvL said:

Ok, one last test and using FPSVR while standing still at Batumi airport in the P51.

Left is SteamVR SS at 60%. Right is SS at 100%.

At 60% my menus are 90fps and stutterfree, but in cockpit its a mess.
At 100% my menus are stuck at 60fps and its a stuttery mess everywhere.

A little later doing another test again at 60% SS my fps was mostly at 60 and the stutters were a little less, but still too much to enjoy.

My mirror screen is always fluent no matter how much stutters i see through the lenses.

Im not that familiar with how to read the info using these fps/frametime apps.
If someone could clarify some things its much appreciated.

FPSVR.jpg

FPSVR2.jpg

Just had a look at these charts, but something is odd, you're reporting stutters but I see no GPU/CPU frametime drop. What's weird though is that you're stuck with 16GB RAM usage, I wonder if you'r not having a RAM problem, what RAM sticks are you using ?

3 hours ago, Zafix said:

Just had a look at these charts, but something is odd, you're reporting stutters but I see no GPU/CPU frametime drop. What's weird though is that you're stuck with 16GB RAM usage, I wonder if you'r not having a RAM problem, what RAM sticks are you using ?

Im using 4 sticks of Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 8GB 3200 C16.

The charts say im using arround the 16gb of 32gb available.

At the moment my performance is pretty decent with SteamVR SS set at 60% with msaa x2.

Edited by RvL

My recent experience of performance testing with the G2 led me to run it at 60hz.

The way that the wmr motion smoothing works is as follows: -

At 90 Hz anything from 60 to 89 fps is pegged to 45fps, below 60fps and motion smoothing turns off and becomes janky.

At 60 Hz anything from 30 to 59 fps is pegged to 30fps, below 30fps and motion smoothing turns off and becomes janky.

There is a refresh rate flicker that becomes apparent at 60 Hz but I couldn't detect it after 30 minutes or so. If you enable motion smoothing in wmr in steamvr and turn on the reprojection indicator then that will give you a clue as to what's happening. Green square is good, blue square is reprojecting and red square is bad.

I can pull 40-45fps frametimes (1000 / 45 = 22.2ms) at 60% on my 1070 pegged to 30fps. It's buttery smooth until fps drops below 30fps (about 33ms frametime) then reprojection turns off.

Edit:kegetys shader mod improves text clarity dramatically which can reduce the need to add msaa.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

My recent experience of performance testing with the G2 led me to run it at 60hz.

The way that the wmr motion smoothing works is as follows: -

At 90 Hz anything from 60 to 89 fps is pegged to 45fps, below 60fps and motion smoothing turns off and becomes janky.

At 60 Hz anything from 30 to 59 fps is pegged to 30fps, below 30fps and motion smoothing turns off and becomes janky.

There is a refresh rate flicker that becomes apparent at 60 Hz but I couldn't detect it after 30 minutes or so. If you enable motion smoothing in wmr in steamvr and turn on the reprojection indicator then that will give you a clue as to what's happening. Green square is good, blue square is reprojecting and red square is bad.

I can pull 40-45fps frametimes (1000 / 45 = 22.2ms) at 60% on my 1070 pegged to 30fps. It's buttery smooth until fps drops below 30fps (about 33ms frametime) then reprojection turns off.

Edit:kegetys shader mod improves text clarity dramatically which can reduce the need to add msaa.

Thanks for your input.

I have to be clear that my problem got fixed by redisabeling HAGS. 

Somehow this got enabled again or during testing, reinstalling windows and whatever not, i might forgot disabling at all. I dont know. But since i disabled it again my stutters are gone.

I did explain this in my other topic 'unplayable G2 stutters' a few days ago.

60hz with reprojection did get me very smooth gameplay. But i surely prefer the 90hz being way more easy on the eyes.

At the moment my fps is pretty stable at 45fps even in big pve multiplayer servers. I did have to adjust the SteamVR SS back at 60% while i was used to 80% a few weeks back, but its not even that noticeable.

I can wait like this untill vulkan and vr optimalisation is there and still enjoy the game.

Edited by RvL
  • Like 1

Ah good to hear, I hadn't seen your post regarding HAGS 🙂

I'm aiming to grab a 3070 and other than I have a 3600 we have similar systems so looks promising when I can grab an FE card!

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Went from a 1070 to the 3070 and i am quite pleased with its performance for VR!
Knowing that ED is working hard on vulkan implementation and VR optimalisation, i guess things will even get better for us VR enthouastics the coming months.
Also cant wait to fly the AH-64 in VR, gonna be a blast!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RvL said:

Went from a 1070 to the 3070 and i am quite pleased with its performance for VR!
Knowing that ED is working hard on vulkan implementation and VR optimalisation, i guess things will even get better for us VR enthouastics the coming months.
Also cant wait to fly the AH-64 in VR, gonna be a blast!

Hey buddy, that's great, and how are the stutters now ? Gone ?

16 hours ago, RvL said:

Im using 4 sticks of Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 8GB 3200 C16.

The charts say im using arround the 16gb of 32gb available.

At the moment my performance is pretty decent with SteamVR SS set at 60% with msaa x2.

I would suggest you to try 100% with no MSAA. I think the visual clarity and the perfs are better.