Thinking to upgrade from my HMD Odyssey +, maybe...

shomke

Well, here I am.

I own an HMD Odyssey +, and I am relatively happy with it.

I manage to get decent c.a. 45 fps at 150% res in SteamVR.

However the clarity is not optimal, the head tracking is not perfect (perfect for rotations but lateral translations are very poorly detected), and it is not super comfortable.

So I am thinking to maybe change googles.

Unfortunately I can't afford a Vive or a Reverb G2 so far, but I could get a second hand Reverb G1. How good would that be with my pc (see the spec below)? 

The Quest 2 seems quite good for resolution and clarity, but I read it is shit for colours, especially blacks. Is that really annoying compare to the nice Odyssey colours?

Don't know if the Rift S offers a significant uplift compare to the Odyssey +...

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome 🙂 

Ryzen 5600X
Radeon RX 5700 XT
32 GB RAM
SDD DRIVE
HMD Odyssey +

Edited by shomke

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

Quest 2 with latest updates is really getting some good reports across the flight sim forums.

I personally do not have one and have moved away for now from Oculus so I can not speak on Quest 2 from personal experience.

But it is pretty popular amongst gamers. IF you have no problem with the Facebook requirement, it is the most economical.

And Oculus does a really good job with their software, as can be seen with the latest update that has increased the sharpness of the image many are reporting.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yup I have rift S and the OD +.  Just got the quest 2 and it’s right where I’m happy as far as readability and performance.  Plus don’t have to deal with wmr which is just crap and horrible on performance.  Want ease of use get Oculus.  I’ve done all API’s for years and oculus is just less headache and more flying.  Plus you do t need a 3090 like all the G2 fanboys have and still run low ps2 settings.

Regardless Ed needs to get VR performance much better period.  They have fallen way behind in that department 

‘’rift s blows the od+ out of water in regards to performance and clarity.  The readability in rift s is much better than the resolution suggests.  Quest 2 is another big step up from rift s especially with v33 software   As far as Facebook account you can do a total blank one and never use it as I do.

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I'm still pretty happy with Odyssey+. I'm eyeballing G2 but would never go to Bookface ecosystem. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

For me, going from a 2070 super to a 3080 solved all of my issues with vr and the samsung o+. I can tank up my steam SS settings and can see the cockpit with reasonable clarity and with MSAA at 4x, the external views are tolerable. But each person is different, i firmly believe chasing increased HMD resolution is a lost cause with the current DCS configuration. Odyssey + is sufficient IMO

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

I went from an Odyssey+ to a G1 back in the day.

It was a huge upgrade in sharpness and readability. Performance wasn't even worse because I didn't have to run at a high super sampled resolution to get a good image out of it.

Colors were a bit washed out as you'd expect going from an OLED to an LCD. G2 is a bit better as far as that goes, but at your price target a good used G1 will be quite the improvement.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:26 PM, Enduro14 said:

Yup I have rift S and the OD +.  Just got the quest 2 and it’s right where I’m happy as far as readability and performance.  Plus don’t have to deal with wmr which is just crap and horrible on performance.  Want ease of use get Oculus.  I’ve done all API’s for years and oculus is just less headache and more flying.  Plus you do t need a 3090 like all the G2 fanboys have and still run low ps2 settings.

Regardless Ed needs to get VR performance much better period.  They have fallen way behind in that department 

‘’rift s blows the od+ out of water in regards to performance and clarity.  The readability in rift s is much better than the resolution suggests.  Quest 2 is another big step up from rift s especially with v33 software   As far as Facebook account you can do a total blank one and never use it as I do.

Yeah be careful there though, that is all well and good till Facebook decides it is an inactive account or deems it might be bogus and cancels it out.

It has happened.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|