AI engagement with HARMs

I'm sure this is something somewhat incomplete, but very hard to ignore.  I'm playing a campaign mission, which involves my flight being a SEAD role.  All aircraft in my flight are armed with HARMs.  My own engagement with the HARMs go without a problem.  When I tell my flight to "engage air defences", all three break formation and fly the opposite direction of any targets of opportunity.  They eventually just enter their own orbit and eventually give up and rejoin from about 60-80 miles away, of course using full burner.  Something is seriously flawed here and makes SP SEAD flights a waste when there is more than two targets needed to be destroyed for a strike package to succeed.

• Like 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

For campaign missions the command "engage primary" (providing the SAM site are set up as primary target in the ME) should result in more success. I don't know how to set that up in the ME myself, but it usually works in downloadable campaigns.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 4 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, Eagle7907 said:

I'm sure this is something somewhat incomplete, but very hard to ignore.  I'm playing a campaign mission, which involves my flight being a SEAD role.  All aircraft in my flight are armed with HARMs.  My own engagement with the HARMs go without a problem.  When I tell my flight to "engage air defences", all three break formation and fly the opposite direction of any targets of opportunity.  They eventually just enter their own orbit and eventually give up and rejoin from about 60-80 miles away, of course using full burner.  Something is seriously flawed here and makes SP SEAD flights a waste when there is more than two targets needed to be destroyed for a strike package to succeed.

The same still happens i my mission. They are doing nothing. 

• ED Team

We would need to see the mission or track replay, it maybe a AI setting in advance option creating the issue. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think the problem is that AI will engage in SEAD targets that are actually spiking them.

For long distance search radar, no problem.

AI will accept the order, fly away to commence a HARM as intended.

Now for short distance launchers, the problem is that you have to wait until they declare being spiked to give the order.

They take some distance to set up the HARM run but lose the target when they are out of its range and just rejoign.

They seem to not keep awareness of something more than a few second (that would explain the never ending calls on AA combat ... anyway)

The idea is fly in formation toward the target and find the good timing to give the order while they are far enough to make their run directly.

Note that if a launcher is painting you, it may not spike your wingmen.

And they are definitely not using the pre-planned attack mode or the HTS pod to launch on the spot.

Note that wingmen do not coordinate when engaging SAMs.

So if you send the whole flight using -engage primary and rejoin- so missiles will go to the same targets.

Some 88s will end up thrashed because one wingman will fire at something and during the flight time of the missile, another wingman will get spiked by that target and fire at it also.

You'll have to get the timing right by yourself using the radio menu and F-10 to monitor what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...