How to limit number of maps (select some and skip others) that dcs updater brings along with initial installation?

DCS auto updater brings all the maps with it and it does not fit anymore on 120gb ssd. Most of the install size is dead weight due to the maps that will not be used. 

Why there is no option in the installation menu to select some  maps and exclude others? 

Perhaps there  is the way to exclude the maps via command line?

Thanks!

Edited by musolo

----RED FLAG---- DCS Server. Discord: https://discord.gg/2PjQ52V

• musolo changed the title to How to limit number of maps (select some and skip others) that dcs updater brings along with initial installation?

as far as I know as soon as the updater know that is dedicated server installation, it will try to download all "known maps".
You can try to remove the DEDICATED_SERVER from autoupdater.cfg, but it can potentially break your installation, I don't know what it will go to download if you leave blank.

immagine.png

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

@BIGNEWY Good day to you sir. Could you ask team for server installation dialog give options to users which maps to download at first install and which to install/remove  upon autoupdater launches upon existing installation? Or perhaps they know the way to do that via command line? 

Thanks!

Edited by musolo

• ED Team

I will ask the team, if I get a reply I will let you know.

Edit: this has been requested.

thanks 

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

+1 for this , I only run 3 maps on my server and dont want the other ones

Some config file that could be edited, that told the DCS updater which maps are wanted would be great

@BIGNEWY  thanks for looking into this

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I know this isn’t the requested fix but here is what I did to resolve the issue.

I created dynamic symbolic links to an external hard drive for the maps I don’t use on my server.

Works well and I had the hardware laying around to do this. 

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 1:40 PM, =475FG= Dawger said:

I know this isn’t the requested fix but here is what I did to resolve the issue.

I created dynamic links to an external hard drive for the maps I don’t use on my server.

Works well and I had the hardware laying around to do this. 

Could you explain it in more detail?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, musolo said:

Could you explain it in more detail?

Thanks!

I plugged in an external hard drive to the server PC and created symbolic links to the folder locations of the terrains I don't use that redirect them to be placed on the external drive.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love this enhancement, too.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2021 at 2:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I will ask the team, if I get a reply I will let you know.

Edit: this has been requested.

thanks 

Any update on this?

With the Syria expansion and Falklands map coming up, our virtual server will also be running out of harddrive space I fear. Would very much love to just get rid of the Channel and Normany maps for the dedicated server since we never use them. 

I'm building a campaign! www.coconutcockpit.com

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, applepiefrost said:

Any update on this?

With the Syria expansion and Falklands map coming up, our virtual server will also be running out of harddrive space I fear. Would very much love to just get rid of the Channel and Normany maps for the dedicated server since we never use them. 

Work is in progress but I can not say when it will be ready.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

Another 80 GB for Falkland (40 * 2 = 80GB) because of OpenBeta and Stable (prepared for next update) in parallel.
I needed to expand our disks to apply the update.

Any news on that?

Edited by kaltokri

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN