How to limit number of maps (select some and skip others) that dcs updater brings along with initial installation?

• 2 weeks later...

The only solution I have to make some space on my dedicated server is using a network share.

I moved the terrains files we are not using on this share, using symbolic links.
The repair command is fine, the server works fine but the updater doesn't recognize these links...

+1 on this. Required disk space for the dedicated server has been becoming really annoying after every big update for past year. Its not always so easy to add a HDD to the server, and often costs money. I have a 2TB HDD but still, if one day I'd want to downgrade my server I can't because of the unnecessary maps' sizes. 
Falklands alone -> 40 GB
Marianas, The Channel, Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf total -> 68 GB
I never host a mission on these terrains and don't plan to do so. It'll be really nice to have those optional 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does the dedicated server really use that many different files to the normal Client install?

Is there any way that the common files could be shared, for those of us running both the client and server on the same PC?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:33 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

Does the dedicated server really use that many different files to the normal Client install?

Is there any way that the common files could be shared, for those of us running both the client and server on the same PC?

If you have already a client installed on your computer, is totally useless download and install also the dedicated server on the same computer.
You can run a separate instance of your client that run as server. You just have to create the proper shortcut

DCS.exe --server --norender  -w DCS_Server

It will start a new server using the DCS_Server folder inside your saved games, and than you can tune serversettings.lua to add your preference. You can also create the serversettings from the client and than copy the file from DCS.openbeta to DCS_Server folder

Edited by Maverick87Shaka
  • Like 2

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 1 month later...

1 year and still no update on this, its getting out of hand with every update and I can't even imagine how will it be with the new maps when they release (prob. next year?)
We MUST have a workaround for this or just ED letting us optionally download the maps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtaf_archer said:

...  or just ED letting us optionally download the maps

All the Maps are optional downloads, except for Caucasus. Once you install an optional Map, then of course the Updater will try to have it updated.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

All the Maps are optional downloads, except for Caucasus. Once you install an optional Map, then of course the Updater will try to have it updated.

I'm talking about dedicated server install. You don't have anything optional, it downloads every map from the first install

1 hour ago, vtaf_archer said:

I'm talking about dedicated server install. You don't have anything optional, it downloads every map from the first install

Sorry, didn't realize this thread was on the Server Admin section of the forum 😞

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

With 3 new maps coming out in the next say 2 years we will need an additional lets say 100 gig of server space I'm thinking.

If this feature is not implemented next year at least our team has already discussed removing 1 of the 2 servers we run for our group or even canning the servers all together due to the increased disk space cost to us from our provider.

It would be rather helpful if ED could at least give us some comms on this and if its being implemented or not, I mean they would know at least by now if they are doing it or not.

• Like 1

I had to do a little work around and download the normal DCS client for our new server. VDS/VPS providers generally dont provide disk upgrades, you have to upgrade the whole server. 
With client DCS its around 120gb but without any map. Downloaded syria, made it 170gb. Almost same and 10gb less from server install w/all maps. And dont need to worry about updates to unnecessary (for us) maps and their sizes. Recommended for everyone who wants to host caucasus only or with another single map.

On 10/3/2022 at 5:07 PM, vtaf_archer said:

I had to do a little work around and download the normal DCS client for our new server. VDS/VPS providers generally dont provide disk upgrades, you have to upgrade the whole server. 
With client DCS its around 120gb but without any map. Downloaded syria, made it 170gb. Almost same and 10gb less from server install w/all maps. And dont need to worry about updates to unnecessary (for us) maps and their sizes. Recommended for everyone who wants to host caucasus only or with another single map.

The purpose of a dedicated server is to make it less resource intensive then the client install. Because of a tiny little feature ED is missing this target now.

• Like 4

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

23 minutes ago, kaltokri said:

ED is missing this target now.

Probably the truest statement ever made on these very forums

It really should NOT be that hard to implement this requested feature, a simple config file we could edit could take care of it and it would save ED MONEY on bandwidth

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 2

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:07 AM, vtaf_archer said:

Wouldn't you have had to have a second account for this to work and then have to of purchased the Syria map for that account, I can see the work around working if you just hosted Cacucus only.

That's would mean with the free installed game you are now better off going the full client way and running the dedicated server from that install so its a much small footprint, but that defeats the point of having a dedicated server install, it would really help if we could get a comment from ED if this is being worked on @BIGNEWY any news on this ??

Im currently planning our server usage for next year and trying to figure out if we keep two servers or go to one to cut the cost back a little.

On 10/7/2022 at 1:49 AM, Hotdognz said:

Wouldn't you have had to have a second account for this to work and then have to of purchased the Syria map for that account, I can see the work around working if you just hosted Cacucus only.

You can download maps without needing to own them from Skatezilla's updater utility. Im using it to host the servers

• Like 1