How to limit number of maps (select some and skip others) that dcs updater brings along with initial installation?

On 10/9/2022 at 2:12 AM, vtaf_archer said:

You can download maps without needing to own them from Skatezilla's updater utility. Im using it to host the servers

But your not using the dedicated server install so also have the main DCS game and you would need a graphics card to run it, with the dedicated server install you don't need that.

Edited by Hotdognz

5 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

But your not using the dedicated server install so also have the main DCS game and you would need a graphics card to run it, with the dedicated server install you don't need that.

You can run DCS in server mode without GUI. So no need for a graphics card. We've been doing it this way before dedicated server build ever existed

Guys, your alternative solution, using a Client install, doesn't fix the Dedicated Serveur install's problem.

For your information, because I'm sure you never managed a dedicated server before, you don't gain any room on your disk, quite the opposite.

Some exemples :

Clean Client Install without Mods folder : 100 Go
Clean Dedicated Server Install without Mods folder : 9.6 Go

Client Install Caucasus Map : 16.8 Go
Dedicated Server Install Caucasus Map : 10.3 Go

Client Install PersianGulf Map : 33.4 Go
Dedicated Server Install PersianGulf Map : 22.6 Go

Client Install Syria Map : 65.6 Go
Dedicated Server Install Syria Map : 33.7 Go

So if I want to install only Caucasus, PG and Syria, I will have 215.8 Go on a Client install versus 165 Go on the Dedicated Server Install with all the maps.

We only want the option to select the maps we want on the Dedicated Server.
So stop proposing using option B when we want a change in the option A (typical internet forum reaction).

P.S : And if we could manage to choose the maps on the Dedicated Server, If I want only these 3 maps, its 86.7 Go of disk space lighter. I'll let you do the math.

Edited by IRRE_Biluf
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, IRRE_Biluf said:

We only want the option to select the maps we want on the Dedicated Server.

So stop proposing using option B when we want a change in the option A (typical internet forum reaction).

Amen brother, fully agree.

And what makes it even worse is, that if a new map is released you need almost double of the required space for the first installation, because that stupid installer needs to extract it on disk.

It couldn't be that difficult to provide the same functionality, the client installer does already have. If there is no solution for this SOON and BEFORE the release of all the new maps, which we're really looking for, half of the MP server will be gone because they are to expensive.

Edited by CptSnafu
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, IRRE_Biluf said:

For your information, because I'm sure you never managed a dedicated server before, you don't gain any room on your disk, quite the opposite.

You are very, very wrong my friend and I suggest u to not comment with little to knowledge about someone. I used the dedicated server build for 2 years. And I am definitely not saying "You can do this X way so stop wanting the actual solution"
Do your math with having a single map, as I stated in my first comment about the workaround. I never host any map except caucasus and syria.

Server + maps = 165gb and will increase with the upcoming maps + updates to every map
Client + syria only = 171gb on my server now, and will not increase with the upcoming maps or updates to maps I didn't install

edit : Just so you know more, "workaround"s are never meant to be proper solutions. And no one forces you to go that way lol 😄 You want to host only 2 maps? and don't have space for upcoming maps? You CAN use the workaround. Otherwise, do not throw mud at it, because its obviously not for you.
Also check my other comments to see I too want maps to be optional. 

Edited by vtaf_archer
  • Like 1

I think and this is my own personal opinion that this feature we are asking for is of a low priority for ED and if lucky we will see this in maybe 2-3 years, i'm basing this on how long it takes long standing bugs to get fixed in the main DCS game.

We have had our server meeting for 2022 looking at 2023 and if we grow past 200gigs for the server install we are taking 1 offline due to increased costs.

Also looking at our IL2 server usage with all the maps and all the planes we are at 67gig, I know DCS maps are more detailed but its a big diffrence

Edited by Hotdognz

• 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo Lads!

Another 13GIG of data to download for a map I will probably NEVER use on my dedicated server, come on ED this extra traffic MUST cost you some money ?

Please give us a choice on what maps we download on our servers

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 1

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

9 hours ago, CptSnafu said:

the struggle is real

image.png

We have been told by our server host we have 86gb left after todays install we have left to play with, once that's gone we need to shell out more $$$ for server space.

@BIGNEWY @NineLine can we ask you guys to get some serious consideration please put towards this request.

Maps our servers don't use

PG, Marianas, SA, Normandy, that's a lot of server space we can get back.

Edited by Hotdognz

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HC_Official said:

here we are once again , come on ED this should not be that hard to implement

Your server does not use the Persian Gulf Map?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Your server does not use the Persian Gulf Map?

it doesnt matter which map your server uses, you have to download them all regardless ..... it is the point of this thread

1 hour ago, HC_Official said:

it doesnt matter which map your server uses, you have to download them all regardless ..... 

Today's update only contains the PG Map, you mean that for the Server version of DCS you have to re-download the Maps that were not updated too?

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

14 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Today's update only contains the PG Map, you mean that for the Server version of DCS you have to re-download the Maps that were not updated too?

How to limit number of maps (select some and skip others) that dcs updater brings along with initial installation?

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

No, updater will download only new files. The problem is that you have no control on dedicated server, what map you want to include in your installation.
So basically during first installation it will download every map available, and the disk required for dedicated server is taking a considerable amount of space.
image.png

Many servers admins since they don't use all the maps, would like to have the option to select which maps has to be installed ( and kept up to date )

This option is available for full client installation, but not for dedicated server package/binary.

• Thanks 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

WOW so todays update gave a us a nice server picture for the dedicated server FE to display while its running on a machine Im not even looking at but they couldn't be bothered sorting out what this thread has been asking for for so long, we haven't even has any acknowledgment that this is even been looked at....sigh.

11 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

No, updater will download only new files. The problem is that you have no control on dedicated server, what map you want to include in your installation.
So basically during first installation it will download every map available, and the disk required for dedicated server is taking a considerable amount of space.
image.png

Many servers admins since they don't use all the maps, would like to have the option to select which maps has to be installed ( and kept up to date )

This option is available for full client installation, but not for dedicated server package/binary.

Thanks for breaking out the crayons to explain this to him , I could not be bothered

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 1

Hello,

Small news from Bignewy saying it's in progress, so we need to be patient 🙂
image.png

if you want the source's link: https://discord.com/channels/542985647502393346/724903980198789170/1053608650570215424 (ED's Discord)

Edited by astazou
  • Like 1

My DCS contributions:
- My mods/skins: here
- My server/missions scripts: there
- My Discord bot:
this place
If you want to thank me buying a coffee☕/beer🍺, feel free:
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Astazou