Is the mistral broken?

gelbevierzehn

Hi all,

After flying the Gazelle on the growling sidewinder server several month with great fun, I notice now that since 3 weeks something has changed.: The IR guided Mistral is totally unreliable now. In 70% of all cases, the IR seeker delivers no locking tone (steady) even if the target is circling around you in full reheat and in perfect kill distance (1000-2000 m).  I think it must be an issue within multiplayer because in single player missions that problem does not exist. Is there somebody who can confirm this? I’m a bit frustrated, cause I love the Gazelle… 😞

• Like 3

Having the same problem here.

I only play MP and this is where the bug manifests itself quite clearly.

Interestingly, if I play an MP mission on Caucasus set to winter with low ambient temperature I am able to get some working locks and successful tracks with the Mistral. But on Spring, Summer, and Autumn with higher ambient temperatures it is basically impossible to get a lock. 

I'm really hoping for a quick fix for this. I actually started a trial on the Gazelle last week and had every intention of buying this module until I realized that the weapon I wanted to use most of all is not working properly. Initially I thought it was just the temperamental nature of the missile, but after a few days it became clear that it's not working as it should.

Let's hope this is resolved sooner rather than later. I'd really like to add this module to my hangar. 

• Like 2

I experienced the same problem this week with the Mistral variant in multiplayer. Strangely enough, I tried the same mission in a single player session and the Gazelle worked perfectly.

• Like 2

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

Having the same problem. Sometimes cycling the power on the mistrals helps, but not always. The target could be full cold and with reheat and you won't get tone, but another time it will work fine.

Just as a note this started happening after the patch for the gazelle that fixed the RWR threat database among other things a couple of weeks ago

Edited by Default_
  • Like 2

Yes, the mistral is broken, 50% it can detect the heat of the planes and 50% it can't.
I detected the problem right after this update DCS 2.7.6.12852 Open Beta - 17.09.2021

• Like 2

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

7 hours ago, njoyyoursalad said:

Seems like a long time to remain silent on an issue which is present in both the Open Beta & Stable builds.

10 days* is not a particularly long time given the nature of the report and size of Polychop

• Posted as question, not a report

• MP only, random (occurs 50% of the time ?)

• No track, acmi or video to show target aspect, speed, etc. or how to reproduce

Polychop is a small team (of three) and AFAIK the Gazelle is being "maintained" on a volunteer basis by a programmer using it familiarise himself with both the DCS code base and the Gazelle code.

If you'd like to speed up the process, you can help by adding a track, acmi or video to this thread.

* It was reported in the Gazelle bug section 3 days ago

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

13 hours ago, Ramsay said:

10 days* is not a particularly long time given the nature of the report and size of Polychop

Polychop is a small team (of three) and AFAIK the Gazelle is being "maintained" on a volunteer basis by a programmer using it familiarise himself with both the DCS code base and the Gazelle code.

If you'd like to speed up the process, you can help by adding a track, acmi or video to this thread.

I appreciate your detailed insight and respect your enthusiastic defense of the developer, but this bug affects both the Stable & Beta builds. 

In such cases where both builds are affected I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some kind of acknowledgement within 10 days, even if it's just a simple statement to inform the community that Polychop are aware of the issue. There's not a lot of daily traffic on Polychop's forum so there should be plenty of visibility for this topic, and good customer relations costs nothing. 😄

That said, I'd love to add a track to the other thread but the tracks I have are far too large to share.
Fortunately, this is an easy bug to reproduce—it's as simple as joining an MP server and attempting to fire some Mistrals at air targets. There's also a video on the other thread which illustrates the nature of the bug very clearly. I'll continue to check both threads in case there's anything I can add to help resolve this. Thanks in advance to all concerned.

• Like 1

Actually, module maintenance is part of the deal when publishing commercial modules for DCS. "A volunteer basis" is not seen as an option, strictly because of the nature of the concept of DCS.
@njoyyoursaladIn case of Polychop, you have to take it as it is. For years they have a lot of issues on their table, which may never be fixed at all and still some people will defend them for unreasonable reasons. See it like religion, either you are a believer or you're not (no matter what is true).

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, swatstar98 said:

Hi! Thank you, in the next update there will be another change, it won't be tracking through hills anymore! 😄

Just wanted to confirm that Mistrals are indeed working again on the latest 2.7.7.14727 OB, despite the fix not being mentioned in the changelog. 😄 

Feels good to have some air-to-air capability again! Many thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...