[REPORTED] N-008 radar in IA

Tarres

MiG-19P IA uses the N-008 radar, stock radar from ED for the MiG-23MLD, instead of the RP-5 radar.

Due to this feature, MiG-19P IA can detect a B-52 target at +40 miles (high altitude, no ECM envoirement...)

You can see it in the MiG-19P.lua, under sensors.

Could it be possible to change the line that recalls the N-008 radar from the database to the RP-5 that I supousse that is defined for the 19P "player"?

• Like 3

It´s not cosmetic.

All the definitions regarding an IA plane are in this file.

If you comment this line, the 19P (IA), flies without radar, with only "visual Eye MK1" sensor.

It´s one of the reasons that the core database was locked in +v2.7,  to prevent exploits by change this values.

But it´s possible to address the bug with some minor changes (and some test) in the structure of the folder and adding an apropiate call to the correct "radar" or one designed "ex profeso" for the IA that mimics the real values of the RP-5 with less cpu charge.

Anyway it´s only an IA bug. It will be solved in due time.

Edited by Tarres

• myHelljumper changed the title to [REPORTED] N-008 radar in IA

It appears the RWR is after-market as well, seeing how in Caucasus 2v2 Instant Action mission the wingman reports nails from 12 o'clock. The original MiG-19 RWR only reported emissions from the rear not unlike the P-51 rear view radar (except it worked in reverse ofc), and the Mig-19P proper didn't have even that.

Yep, although I wonder whether that's more related to how simplistic the AI systems are....if it's not possible for the AI to have a directional RWR, it may be best to just force them to never mount it tbh. It's the "default" state of the jet for the player after all.

• 1 month later...

I recently posted a bug report related to the 19's RWR not working recently.  Is that because something was changed as a result of this thread?

In my opinion, this thread's bug should be fixed, but I would not say this is game breaking.  The MiGs historically had much GCI help.  It may not be apples to apples.  But I wouldn't say AI 19s detecting stuff this is unrealistic.

What is way more unrealistic to me is when I fly a 19 at tree top level with radar off, the AI F-4 always detects me despite historically having period era terrible look down radar.  I guess the F-4 AI pilots can look through their floor boards, lol.

I just hope that trying to mitigate this technicality did not break the 19 player's RWR.