How do you slow down?

Nealius

I was doing some pattern work today and.....how do you slow this thing down? 

I'll drop throttle to around 1100RPM to stay above that danger zone guitar riff shreds in the distance and it takes forever to get down to safe gear speed. I extend quite far downwind. 

Once configured with full flaps, I'll approach, then come in for a smooth 2-point landing, cut to idle, gently lower the tail, and the thing is still screaming down the runway and I roll off the departure end. I know back in the day, 3-point landings were standard, but a 2-point should still be stopable in a decent distance. Is there something I'm missing to kill speed more effectively?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose Crom meant forward slip with crossed controls to loose both speed and altitude. Seems to be the only way to slow the Anton down quickly.

It is a b..tch of an airplane isn't it? When you wish it retained energy better (during combat) it doesn't want to. But when you wish it lost energy faster (landing pattern and landing itself), the thing keeps on flying forever ;).

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Approach isn't so much my problem as the downwind, where I need to mantain altitude and ground track while loosing speed. So cross controlling and making sharp turns is a bit out of that scope. I suppose the good old overhead break helps, but if I'm doing touch-and-gos while staying inside the circuit I can't exactly do that either. Such a weird bird.

10 hours ago, Nealius said:

Approach isn't so much my problem as the downwind, where I need to mantain altitude and ground track while loosing speed. So cross controlling and making sharp turns is a bit out of that scope. I suppose the good old overhead break helps, but if I'm doing touch-and-gos while staying inside the circuit I can't exactly do that either. Such a weird bird.

If you are doing touch and goes, as soon as you take off cut power to minimum don't speed up above 300kph.

All 3 german warbirds suffer same issue, when you cut throttle rpm goes down to minimum, this reduce prop drag, in case P-51 or spitfire or mosquito you get nice braking force from windmilling prop at high rpm.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor