What is the connection between rpm and throttle?

huchanronaa

Mosquito uses constant speed props. Prop lever changes set rpm. But mechanism responsible for rpm need certain things to be present in order to take any effect, if plane sits on the ground idling moving rpm lever changes nothing.

No matter boost used, prop lever always full forward for take off.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

You can think of the propeller pitch/rpm like the transmission in your car.

For high power needs you want to be in low gear/high rpm. That's why you take-off and fight in low gear/high rpm and cruise in high gear/low rpm for more efficiency.

And to stretch the analogy even further - you want to shift down/rpm up and then hit the throttle, not the other way round!

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I've just been reading about this on another post on the forum: 

tl;dr version go to http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/Pelicans-Perch-16-Those-Marvelous-Props-182082-1.html for the suggested explanation. It worked it for me!

AMD 5600X in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING, 32GB RAM, with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070. HP Reverb G2

F/A-18C  -  F-14A/B  -  AV-8B  -  A-10C II  -  AH-64D  -  UH-1H  -  Spitfire LF Mk IX  -  Mosquito FB VI