bullets trajectory seems wrong in certain cases

dali

I  noticed something strange during straffing runs, and I did some tests. Pushing controls forward while firing guns should produce the hits on ground/water to hit furtherst point and start moving toward the plane. This is not what is happening in DCS, where bullet hits are seen moving away from airplane regardless of gun (airplane) relative movement i.e. if stick is pushed or pulled.

When I was on firing range during my mil aviation carreer, we were strictly forbiden to fire when correcting overshoot, as bullets were "travelling" towards the plane, i.e. the initial impact point was further from where they finished (if stick was pushed down).

7 hours ago, dali said:

When I was on firing range during my mil aviation carreer, we were strictly forbiden to fire when correcting overshoot, as bullets were "travelling" towards the plane, i.e. the initial impact point was further from where they finished (if stick was pushed down).

Just out of curiosity: what did you fly on?

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

There are a couple variables involved here, e.g. your speed, range and angle to target, muzzle velocity and the ballistic coefficient of the projectiles. If you're flying level or nose-down towards a target and then start pushing further nose-down, your point of aim on the terrain will obviously move towards you, but at the same time, your distance to the target decreases and your vertical angle towards the target increases. Both those factors cause the point of impact to shift upwards (compared to the point of aim). It will depend on how all those variables play together in deciding whether your shots will hit high (and thereby also further out) or low (and thereby also closer to your aircraft).

Add in some more variables that may or may not be simulated for gun projectiles in DCS, like wind, different air pressure/density at different altitudes, humidity, temperature, etc., and it'll get really complicated.