Leap Motion in 2D mode?

Happy to see ED is adding support for this tech but can you use the Leap Motion in 2D with TrackIR (not VR) to track your hands and finger by having it placed in front of the monitor? After seeing the video on YT linked below I get the impression it only works with VR in DCS?

Edited by KeyCat
  • Like 1

Here is a response from UltraLeap to whom I asked the question :

Whilst the Leap Motion Controller is not designed to work with TrackIR there should not be too much interference for the two devices to work alongside eachother.

There is a thread on our forum here which discuss this in more detail.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dan

• Thanks 1

Another response from them .... which doesn't really answer the question ....

Our hand tracking software can be used with three orientations, desktop, where the camera is placed underneath your hands facing up, VR, where the device is mounted on the front of a VR headset at eye level and now Screentop position where the camera is placed over the hands facing down.

Please note that Screentop is a new position that is only available in our V5 Gemini Developer Preview.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to advise further.

Kind regards,

Dan.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanuki44 said:

desktop, where the camera is placed underneath your hands facing up

I was thinking of this mode and having it placed in-front of monitor facing up so you could reach out over the LP and move the mouse cursor and click buttons "in the air" so to speak.

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2021 at 9:46 AM, KeyCat said:

After seeing the video on YT linked below I get the impression it only works with VR in DCS?

Correct, DCS currently (as far as I know) requires DCS to run in VR mode in order to activate the Leap Motion. And then there's this:

On 10/12/2021 at 2:13 PM, KeyCat said:

I was thinking of this mode and having it placed in-front of monitor facing up so you could reach out over the LP and move the mouse cursor and click buttons "in the air" so to speak.

That'd be sweet - and indeed: The Leap controller and the TrackIR camera work in parallel and do not interfere with each other (I've tried it, both in the control programs and in DCS itself). If you use a normal 2D monitor (no VR headset) and force DCS to run in VR mode, you can, in fact, use both Leap Motion and TrackIR together - not that it were useful, because rendering the left/right eye viewports besides each other on a normal screen is (literally) unplayable. But that's not due to the Leap or TrackIR, just a result of DCS requiring VR for Leap.

Unless ED allows for Leap Motion to be used in 2D that won't work. Alternatively, if someone knows about a tool that can force DCS VR mode into pancake mode (I am aware that this sounds extremely silly, and generally it is!) or unlocks Leap in 2D, it could be made to work.

Unfortunately I do not think such workarounds exist - if they do, please let me know, I'd love to use them, too! 🙂

Edited by Supersheep
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I have the Leap Mption controller and was wondering this as well. it would be nice to have the ability to have use of it while using head tracker in 2D mode.

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU