Why does the flanker have such poor supersonic acceleration?

IronChancellor

I keep seeing eagles flying around at mach 2 with ease. Yet, when I try that in the flanker it takes 5 minutes just to get to mach 1.5. I figured it was the weapons drag+fuel weight, so I put it in the editor with no weapons and reduced fuel so it had the same internal fuel as the eagle. The eagle still accelerated faster than the flanker. Ok, so maybe the extra weight of the flanker is causing more drag which is more important than thrust at supersonic speed? I thusly reduced the flanker's fuel even more until the flanker and eagle had the same total weight. Now I was certain that the flanker would leave the eagle in the dust because it has 44 more kN of thrust with the same weight. The eagle out accelerated the flanker again. This time I let the simulation run until the eagle had reached 2000 kmh. The flanker was still creeping toward 1600 kmh. My question is, why is this so? Does the larger airframe create too much drag to accelerate much past 1500 kmh? Does the airframe compromise aerodynamics in favor of high AoA controllability? Do the air intakes on the flanker not perform as well at supersonic speeds compared to the eagle? Does the space between the engines on the flanker cause some kind of drag at supersonic speeds?

tl;dr

Why doesn't the flanker's additional 44 kN of thrust make it accelerate faster than an eagle of the same weight?

flanker-eagle-acc.trk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ignition said:

I think the F-15C is lighter and the extra thrust may be not be enough at that speed and drag. Its 34kN extra, not 44kN.

But I don't know, it may not be correctly modeled in DCS.

Both aircraft were set to the same weight, so it must be some kind of aerodynamic phenomenon. I am interested as to what exactly is causing such a large difference.

2 hours ago, Ironhand said:

Long-ish discussion here: 

So what I gathered from that is that I should go ask the yoyo guy as he is the knowledgeable one.

EDIT:

@Yo-Yo Hello, could you take a look at my original post in this thread?

Edited by IronChancellor
tagged yo yo

DCS Su-27 is not performing as it should. Real life HUD videos of Su-30 (more weight + drag than Su-27) out-accelerating the DCS Su-27 says it all.

But unless there will be a FF Su-27 I doubt ED will change anything. No money to be gained from fixing FC3 issues.

Edited by BlackPixxel
  • Like 3