IR Jammer?

NeMoGas

• ED Team

It wasn't listed in the features list on the store page or here on the forums, and all preview images and videos don't show it installed. So I'm assuming no.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

The newer in service Apaches in the US Army do not have them.  They are ineffective against modern missiles from what I understand.  

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

6 hours ago, Mad Dog 762 said:

The newer in service Apaches in the US Army do not have them.  They are ineffective against modern missiles from what I understand.  

For early versions of the ALQ-144, this was true. They have upgraded it several times to handle more modern threats, particularly the 144A in Desert Storm which was rushed to the field to counter some of the more advanced IR missiles fielded there. This particular version was built to handle missiles like the SA-14 and SA-18. Whether or not it can handle even more modern threats like SA-24, SA-25, etc. is another question entirely, but the disco light has largely been supplanted by the CMWS and flares. The mounts remain and the ASE should still have an option for an IR jammer, but I'd guess that it's an extra bit of weight and complexity that isn't justified in most situations. Given that the system has a warm up period, cooling limitations, etc. I suspect that the flares have largely supplanted it.

I haven't seen a disco light on US Army aircraft in 10+ years and it seems largely absent on foreign AH-64s as well, so I'd guess the system is largely deprecated.

AFAIK they started removing them in 2005 because of the ASPI and CMWS
they also made it redundant and there are some stories of it attracting missiles instead of jamming it 

iirc they are cleared for use but the US army doesn't want to use them

hence why u don't see it anymore so our apache is based off an apache that got its ALQ-144 (disco ball) removed or just never had it in the first place.

Edited by Yuto