Has anyone managed to repair the 5m USB cable connector?

Ziggy

Hi guys and gals

After an intense mission in the KA50 an exhausted virtual pilot managed to push his chair into its storage spot while STANDING on the USB cable attached to the collective base and I managed to destroy the connector!!

I have ordered a replacement and of course it’s on back order.

Has anyone managed to repair/replace the connector?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

FE8A3765-025D-4470-8416-8E9E92026393.jpeg

System specs; i7 9700k 32GB RAM 2x1TB SSD Drives (1 DCS Dedicated) MSI Z390 MB. MSI GeForce RTX 3070. 4KTV monitor. Reverb G2 VR.Stock TM HOTAS. (Tm WartHog) Throttle. VBK MCG.

You can cut the mold part off, there will be a metal housing with screws underneath, and then resolder the connector pins. I did so without ant problems.

• Like 1

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Thanks man! I’ll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes 

System specs; i7 9700k 32GB RAM 2x1TB SSD Drives (1 DCS Dedicated) MSI Z390 MB. MSI GeForce RTX 3070. 4KTV monitor. Reverb G2 VR.Stock TM HOTAS. (Tm WartHog) Throttle. VBK MCG.

Thanks man! I’ll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes 
My cable arrived DOA so I had to redo it while waiting for a replacement.

Just cut this off and peel it. Straightforward from there.3b54b9ec375e6325a9252692e92ad8be.jpg

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Thanks very much the LT.

Unfortunately as mine has been pulled apart, knowing which wire goes where  might take a while…. But I will give it a go!

Edited by Ziggy

Here is the pinout.ff599edc2d7795fffddae9e76319a9c1.jpg

• Thanks 1

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

You are a LEGEND!!!

Thanks Dude!

• Like 1

You are a LEGEND!!!
  Thanks Dude!
You're welcome. As I said, when you cut the black plastic shirt off the cable, you will reveal a regular metal plug housing with two small screws. It's straightforward from there. So, pretty repairable. If you're interested in custom/longer cables, the connector/plug is called "XS9" and is available on aliexpress/ebay.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

23 hours ago, The LT said:

You're welcome. As I said, when you cut the black plastic shirt off the cable, you will reveal a regular metal plug housing with two small screws. It's straightforward from there. So, pretty repairable. If you're interested in custom/longer cables, the connector/plug is called "XS9" and is available on aliexpress/ebay.

Hey The LT

I soldered the XS9 as per your images working on the assumption that pins are A=red B=white C=green and D=black but computer says no....... was my assumption incorrect?

I need to grab a multimeter and recheck my cqble, give me a day.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

18 minutes ago, The LT said:

I need to grab a multimeter and recheck my cqble, give me a day.

Hey LT, hold fire! Just received an email from VirPil Tech support with schematic and instructions.... What I didn't do was solder the shield to pin 3 so will give it another go in the bright light of day. These 65 year old eyes aren't as good as they used to be!!

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

Hey LT, hold fire! Just received an email from VirPil Tech support with schematic and instructions.... What I didn't do was solder the shield to pin 5 so will give it another go in the bright light of day. These 65 year old eyes aren't as good as they used to be!!
Excellent, you'll fix it in no time, I'm sure. Let us know how it goes
  • Thanks 1

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

well!  After three attempts and some of the ugliest soldering I've ever seen....I have a working collective while I wait for my replacement!

Thanks very much for your help LT

• Like 2

Cheers, happy landings!

• Thanks 1

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Just a foot note to this saga.....

I did order a replacement order and due to a problem my end, I had difficulties with paying for the replacement cable and the folk at VirPil were fantastic!!!

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Thank you!!

• 6 months later...

Good tip to know for a possibly soon Virpil Collective customer.

Thanks,

Edit: Out of curiosity are you guys getting the twist grip or no?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|