DCS: SOUTH ATLANTIC MAP by RAZBAM

huchanronaa

6 hours ago, odrin said:

Not a fan of the region, it seems designed for UK fanboys and their harriers and other european planes. I like modern American and Russian equipment

You can actually play in there with any asset you choose or own. A region, in the end, is just that, a region.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 10:11 PM, TheBigTatanka said:

This looks fantastic. Do we have any idea about the airfields included?

Any major air bases?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

At least RAF Mount Pleasant and RAF Stanley.

Mount Pleasant is the home base for No. 1435 Flight RAF, currently (from September 2009) flying the Typhoon FGR.4. Historically flying the Panavia Tornado F.3 (1992 - Sept. 2009) and F-4M Phantom FGR.2 (November 1988 - 1992). This flight was also based at Stanley from late 1983 to June 1985 flying the Harrier GR.3A

Unsure about Argentine bases, but presumably at least Rio Gallegos AFB (A-4P (A-4B) Skyhawk, Mirage IIIEA, IA 58, S-2E, EMB 111, AN/TPS-43E + ATCC) and Puerto Santa Cruz (A-4P(B) Skyhawk).

EDIT: RAZBAM also seem to be developing Chabunco Air Base (Presidente Carlos Ibáñez International Airport) of the Chilean Air Force (near Punta Arenas), home to the Chilean AIr Force's 4th Air Brigade, which is home to the 6th and 12th (F-5E/F) Aviation Squadrons and the 23rd Air Defence Squadron.

Edited by Northstar98
added Chabunco Air Base
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:53 AM, odrin said:

… it seems designed for UK fanboys and their harriers and other european planes. I like modern American and Russian equipment

Err, really…???!!! 🤣🤣🤣

…how do you reckon that???

We don’t currently have any UK assets suitable for this map 😡

Which is a massive own goal from Raz

As a minimum this should come alongside a Sea Harrier FRS.1  Nobody would expect that for free, but we need the SHAR at the same / similar time as the map

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 2:53 AM, odrin said:

Not a fan of the region, it seems designed for UK fanboys and their harriers and other european planes. I like modern American and Russian equipment

The map is perfect for pretending it's the North Sea coast. Probably the best stand in for North Sea operations during ww2 will get.

Also perfect for what ifs between Nato and Russia along the Norwegian coast.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, Gunfreak said:

The map is perfect for pretending it's the North Sea coast.

Meh, if it is was upside-down maybe, it is however a good-ish stand in for Iceland and the North Atlantic.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

Plenty of scope for “what ifs”…

biggest criticism is that it’s NOT SUITABLE for the Harrier without a big “what if”

OTOH, plenty of scope for Chile / Argentina or Argentina / UK what ifs

Being fair, you could say that about most of the maps.

• Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

15 hours ago, Tree_Beard said:

This map seems really niche. Great if you are really into the Harrier but not sure who else. 

With how rarely we get new maps in DCS, wish this release was something more broadly applicable to other planes and plausible what-if scenarios. 

Says the man who wants Hawaii

• Like 3

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

11 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

Fair enough. I think most would agree there is a gaping void right now in terms of WW2 Pacific content. I doubt nearly as many feel the same way about Falkland Islands material. 

The SA map represents a varied terrain in a new (non sandy) location within a timeframe that those with some imagination can use a number of modules against one another. For those that cant there are other maps.  In addition there is some hope that someday, more relevent AI or full modules may come along for that 1982 thing. Any map made by a different dev to ED and Ugra should be welcomed as it potentially drives the art along. Is it niche? I dunno, possibly but probably no more that the Marianas or Normandy or the NTTR. Depends on your values. 

Does it make more sense than Hawaii? - almost certainly.  Does it make more sense than a complete WW2 Pacific set. Again, almost certainly given there is amost nothing else available for that era and the DCS timescales involved in making stuff. That and the apparent lack of data on Japanese stuff oft talked about in the other WW2 flight flight sim.  

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

South Atlantic map opens up a world of additional possibilities…

the cold, grey stormy seas, heavy overcast skies and hostile mountainous terrain coul easily stand in for Norway or the Soviet Union in a Cold War setting… or for Allied coastal strikes against Nazi shipping as a WW2 stand in

I actually have serious questions about any WW2 Pacific setting, with the exception of Guadalcanal / Solomons, or possibly Burma or New Guinea.

How does “island hopping” fit with any ground assets???

Should WW2 Marianas be in US hands of Japanese??? Currently we have the remnants of the US airbases, but that doesn’t work for a US invasion scenario.

Guadalcanal and Henderson Field could at least work for the fiercely contested air land and sea campaigns of 1942-3

Marianas is an odd choice for any era

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 1:45 AM, Tree_Beard said:

This map seems really niche. Great if you are really into the Harrier but not sure who else. 

With how rarely we get new maps in DCS, wish this release was something more broadly applicable to other planes and plausible what-if scenarios. 

You can have it simulate a different country. It doesn’t have to be the “South Atlantic” in your mission/campaign

Edited by FoxOne007
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 12/15/2021 at 11:15 AM, rkk01 said:

Marianas is an odd choice for any era

I'll be using it as a Solomon's stand-in whenever it arrives...hopefully sooner rather than later.

SA map looks beautiful, but I have no use for it. I'm all for 'stand in' maps, and I could almost use it for a stand-in New Guinea later on when I have the assets...problem is modern infrastructure. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 5:12 PM, Gunfreak said:

The map is perfect for pretending it's the North Sea coast. Probably the best stand in for North Sea operations during ww2 will get.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:31 AM, Northstar98 said:

a good-ish stand in for Iceland and the North Atlantic.

On 12/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, Boosterdog said:

non sandy

On 12/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, rkk01 said:

stand in for Norway or the Soviet Union in a Cold War setting… or for Allied coastal strikes against Nazi shipping as a WW2 stand in

On 1/12/2022 at 3:16 PM, Skunk Cabbage said:

This Map reminds me of my home in Southeast Alaska!    Give me the map!

All reasons this'll be a day-one buy for me even though I have no interest in the Falklands in particular.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, Gunfreak said:

I agree. Good point!

• 1 month later...

In last interview they said the map is gonna be 3,1 million km2. So this is something like:

image.png

Interview:  

ps: for an instance, the map from the 1st post up above, it measures roughly only 1,3 million km2 :)

Edited by skywalker22
  • Like 1