AMD 8350 terrible stuttering

fapador

I have tried everything,  zeroed all cpu intensive settings... I have 60 fps and every 10 sec I get a stutter with 20 fps thats 40fps drop. I conclude that the game is severely unoptimized for AMD systems. Graphics card is a RX580 8G

We need multi core support as MSFS or vulkan I have no problem with MSFS it plays fine on my system . Any other AMD bulldozer user around here?

PS: I know my cpu is old and I will be told to upgrade  but I dont want to, I play other games fine even msfs with Simupdate 5 runs reasonably..

Other specs are:

16gb ram Motherboard 990 fx r2.0 sabertooth Win 10 C1E disabled, CoolandQuiet disabled

Tried hotplug disabling, msaa is off hpet disabled windows game mode: enabled/disabled and hundred other things...

If i close all cpu settings on right side It improves things a little, the drop goes to 25 fps (35fps drop) Overclock to 4.5 ghz also improves things a little but not significally.

Edited by fapador

Obsessed with FM's

21 minutes ago, fapador said:

other than the default built in windows stuff

That IS an antivirus ... you can configure it to exclude both the DCS program folder (usually C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics) and the DCS User folder (usually at C:\Users\your-user\DCS or DCS.openbeta), like this:

hlWPoaS.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

@fapadorI don't have AMD, but my system is similarly old. What's your disk hardware for pagefile? In my experience DCS needs more than 16gb RAM even for SP, and any drive but NVMe gives me stutters. 

I think antivirus exclusion only matters for scheduled scans. Realtime monitoring can be stopped via settings (till reboot). I kill all other optional Windows processes before running DCS, with a .bat attached.

Also, I fresh installed Windows 11 and see better CPU utilization and smoother gameplay.

Important to delete shaders after each DCS update (see second .bat and edit it for your DCS drive/folders).

And I run everything at bare minimum with no shadows. 

stop_services.bat delshaders.bat

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

I run 500GB NVMe also. Pagefile should be ok. As I told you I can run MSFS with steady 50 fps no stutters at medium settings@impalor I really think its an amd issue.

I am looking at this post but I am really confused on how to set affinity besides task manager, maybe someone more experienced can help 

Edited by fapador

Obsessed with FM's

My system is super old (2013), it's okay but no FPS bragging rights. I have no stutter unless there's a lot of smoke.
I would this has nothing to to with DCS at all. Seems something is running on a schedule in the background. Remember back in the 90s, I would have stutters on Win95 because I had TCP/IP enabled without static IP, and everytime it broadcasted for the DHCP address, DI's Hind would stutter, and ONLY that game. Input a static IP, stutters gone.
This of course not your problem, it just reminds me and seems similar.
Download Sysinternals and monitor what's going on.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, fapador said:

I have tried everything,  zeroed all cpu intensive settings... I have 60 fps and every 10 sec I get a stutter with 20 fps thats 40fps drop. I conclude that the game is severely unoptimized for AMD systems. Graphics card is a RX580 8G

We need multi core support as MSFS or vulkan I have no problem with MSFS it plays fine on my system . Any other AMD bulldozer user around here?

PS: I know my cpu is old and I will be told to upgrade  but I dont want to, I play other games fine even msfs with Simupdate 5 runs reasonably..

Other specs are:

16gb ram Motherboard 990 fx r2.0 sabertooth Win 10 C1E disabled, CoolandQuiet disabled

Tried hotplug disabling, msaa is off hpet disabled windows game mode: enabled/disabled and hundred other things...

If i close all cpu settings on right side It improves things a little, the drop goes to 25 fps (35fps drop) Overclock to 4.5 ghz also improves things a little but not significally.

Therein lies your problem.

You're trying to run/play one of the most intensive games/simulators in the planet as of today (in 2021) in one of the worst processors you could ever use with it.

I'm even surprised reading that you have "no problem with MSFS2020" using an FX8350 (I'd expect 15~20 FPS with it).

AMD's Bulldozer was an awful architecture, right from the start, to use with sims.

It's a decade old processor, and even then it was a really bad choice for sim titles already present at its launch, like Flamming Cliffs 2, DCS BlackShark and DCS A-10C, in times where Intel's i5 2500K, i7 2600K and 2700K would run rings around it, offering over double the performance in such titles.

The RX580 8GB is also below requirements for DCS 2.7 but, even if far from perfect, it can do the job using lowered graphical settings.
IMO, your problem really is that FX8350 CPU, it's just too weak IPC wise (vital for single-thread based applications) which is exactly what DCS wants.

Honestly, you don't want to be told to upgrade (and I can simpathize) but there really is no other option if you want to run DCS 2.7 decently.

A modern low budget CPU+Mobo+RAM upgrade, like an Intel i3 10105F with H410 motherboard and 16GB of DDR4 2666 (total cost +/- 250,00€) will make that AMD FX8350 (stock or OC'ed to the brink) look downright pedestrian, and will feel like a HUGE upgrade over it.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, LucShep said:

Therein lies your problem.

You're trying to run/play one of the most intensive games/simulators in the planet as of today (in 2021) in one of the worst processors you could ever use with it.

I'm even surprised reading that you have "no problem with MSFS2020" using an FX8350 (I'd expect 15~20 FPS with it).

AMD's Bulldozer was an awful architecture, right from the start, to use with sims.

It's a decade old processor, and even then it was a really bad choice for sim titles already present at its launch, like Flamming Cliffs 2, DCS BlackShark and DCS A-10C, in times where Intel's i5 2500K, i7 2600K and 2700K would run rings around it, offering over double the performance in such titles.

The RX580 8GB is also below requirements for DCS 2.7 but, even if far from perfect, it can do the job using lowered graphical settings.
IMO, your problem really is that FX8350 CPU, it's just too weak IPC wise (vital for single-core based applications) which is exactly what DCS wants.

Honestly, you don't want to be told to upgrade (and I can simpathize) but there really is no other option if you want to run DCS 2.7 decently.

A modern low budget CPU+Mobo+RAM upgrade, like an Intel i3 10105F with H410 motherboard and 16GB of DDR4 2666 (total cost +/- 250,00€) will make that AMD FX8350 (stock or OC'ed to the brink) look downright pedestrian, and will feel like a HUGE upgrade over it.

I know 8350 is obsolete for todays standards but it is above the minimum requirements. Also bulldozer is not as as bad as you say, back in its days it was a very decent processor though I agree single core performance is weak. 

I think the problem really lies in the lack of multicore optimization, which MSFS brought with SU5 and X-plane has with the Vulkan. It is also  where traditionally AMD processors used to shine. 

As I said, I know  I can upgrade for reasonable money, but I shouldn't have to in the first place. I wanted to hold out until ddr5 is a thing (and buy top of the line system rather,  than get a mediocre one now) as I can still play reasonably most of the current titles. 

I guess I must wait until  vulkan optimization  comes to DCS as well. 

As for the msfs you mentioned. I run medium high settings and its smooth as silk 45+fps...  X-plane: 60+ with vulkan  (though its almost unplayable with opengl) good enough for me.  

Edited by fapador

Obsessed with FM's

Well you can buy ssd as an early upgrade. When you finally do full upgrade your comp later then the ssd still very much usable. Trust me an ssd helps alot reduce the stuttering and makes the DCS faster loading.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

3 hours ago, Oceandar said:

Well you can buy ssd as an early upgrade.

the OP said he already has one.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...

8350 with rx560 on an HDD...before the patch I was getting 35-40 in helo pit treetop level........AA And ANSIO off on 22 inch monitor with MIXED medium to high settings(looked good at low level flying)...the 8350 WAS A WORKHORSE.  BUT this patch knocked off 10 fps...So I'm at constant 30 and smooth...but that 10 fps loss hurt .Note that It was imperative that I defrag DCS after every patch or I got stutter .

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

Reported similar earlier. The fps is dropping so much that its unplayable at times.Also using an rx580 which was perfectly fine until recent update. I only have Windows defender and its not running all the time. I've uploaded a log on another thread with others reporting the same issue. In the current market ther is no way I can replace the GPU just for DCS which is the only application with an issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Update Guys: Its my GPU causing the stuttering. Tried with an other and  8350 plays totally fine, no more stuttering and thats even with a small supposed cpu bottleneck that vishera might have. Its also very strange because I could play MSFS fine with rx580 and medium settings. My guess is that Radeon drivers perhaps perform poor with DCS.

Edited by fapador
  • Like 1

Obsessed with FM's