What colour is the FLIR displayed with on TEDAC ?

MRTX
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Just a quick question of mine. As we've seen in the sneak peak of the Hellfire the FLIR colour displayed on the TEDAC was green simmilar to the Hornet. On the other hand on the many guntapes i've seen that the FLIR colour is a standard black and white. So i figured that either the recordings are displayed in black and white, and that the green colour we've seen is correct, or that maybe it just comes down to software versions of the Apache which determines what colour is shown, or that its a setting which can be changed by the gunner since the TEDAC afterall is a colour display.

Nevertheless this is just speculation, so i hope that maybe some of you guys know the answer to this mistery.

Yeah so there’s a switch at the top right and day is black and white and night is a very dim green 

The tdu is not a multi color display for this timeframe. 

as far as the recordings, it’ll be black and white unless it’s the new new. So if I were to pull video from a flight I could expect black and white. Even if in the cockpit it’s displayed as green if that makes sense 

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 2

• ED Team
  • Solution

The raw video source from the sensors are in grayscale, which is what is recorded (and then leaked online).  However, a filter is used any time the video is changed from grayscale to greenscale under certain conditions of display on the TDU or the MPDs.  The video is always greenscale when displayed in the crew HDU monocles.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

6 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

The raw video source from the sensors are in grayscale, which is what is recorded (and then leaked online).  However, a filter is used any time the video is changed from grayscale to greenscale under certain conditions of display on the TDU or the MPDs.  The video is always greenscale when displayed in the crew HDU monocles.

Lol Greenscale and grayscale are the words I was searching for in my head. I was thinking how do I say the tdu doesn’t have all the colors. Lol

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

The video is always greenscale when displayed in the crew HDU monocles.

Does this mean the TEDAC can be displayed in the IHADSS? I was assuming only the PNVS could be displayed there and the Pilot/CPG had to go eyes-in to their screens to see the TADS LOS. 

1 minute ago, Jetguy06 said:

Does this mean the TEDAC can be displayed in the IHADSS? I was assuming only the PNVS could be displayed there and the Pilot/CPG had to go eyes-in to their screens to see the TADS LOS. 

I don't wanna get too deep into the weeds with it, but you're kinda combining two separate things.  

If you sight select TADS it'll mirror the tads with sight symbology on the TDU and the HDU. 

If you want to use the PNVS or the TADs as a NVS then you have a nvs mode switch will turn that function on.  You can't use them in conjunction with each other. 

I say this with a grain of salt knowing that it's largely dependent on how they implement it into DCS.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, kgillers3 said:

I don't wanna get too deep into the weeds with it, but you're kinda combining two separate things.  

If you sight select TADS it'll mirror the tads with sight symbology on the TDU and the HDU. 

If you want to use the PNVS or the TADs as a NVS then you have a nvs mode switch will turn that function on.  You can't use them in conjunction with each other. 

I say this with a grain of salt knowing that it's largely dependent on how they implement it into DCS.  

I think I'm understanding. I know you can't simultaneously use the PNVS and other systems in the IHADSS. But from what you said, if I'm understanding correctly, you can display what the TEDAC is showing (what you see in all those Apache guncam vids on Youtube) in the IHADSS? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I was under the impression that the IHADSS could only display what the PNVS was seeing, and not any other systems, and to see the TADS LOS (again, what is seen in those YouTube videos) you had to look at the TEDAC screen (TDU?) or one of the MFDs in the rear seat. 

4 minutes ago, Jetguy06 said:

I think I'm understanding. I know you can't simultaneously use the PNVS and other systems in the IHADSS. But from what you said, if I'm understanding correctly, you can display what the TEDAC is showing (what you see in all those Apache guncam vids on Youtube) in the IHADSS? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I was under the impression that the IHADSS could only display what the PNVS was seeing, and not any other systems, and to see the TADS LOS (again, what is seen in those YouTube videos) you had to look at the TEDAC screen (TDU?) or one of the MFDs in the rear seat. 

Yes you can.
In fact we'd often just turn the TEDAC screen off and project it in our HDU and just run off that.

Also the backseater can sight select the TADS too but it will lack a lot of functionality and would just be for flying purposes as an alternative for the PNVS, but that's a different story altogether.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Remco said:

Yes you can.
In fact we'd often just turn the TEDAC screen off and project it in our HDU and just run off that.

Also the backseater can sight select the TADS too but it will lack a lot of functionality and would just be for flying purposes as an alternative for the PNVS, but that's a different story altogether.

Oh nice!! If ED implements this, it will be near the top of my list of features to look forward to!!

3 hours ago, Jetguy06 said:

So the last part 

The only person that can use the MTADS as a sight to aim weapons is the front seater, the back seater can obviously observe what the front seater is doing by pulling the video up on the MPD, but he can't control it. It also doesn't go into the back seats HMD in this condition.  

• 9 months later...
On 10/11/2021 at 6:00 PM, kgillers3 said:

Yeah so there’s a switch at the top right and day is black and white and night is a very dim green 

The tdu is not a multi color display for this timeframe. 

as far as the recordings, it’ll be black and white unless it’s the new new. So if I were to pull video from a flight I could expect black and white. Even if in the cockpit it’s displayed as green if that makes sense 

Are the US Apaches running colour TEDAC now? I know us Brits have it coming with the E in 2025

15 hours ago, McGraw said:

Isn't the C-Scope related to the FCR which we all eagerly await?

Yes. The C-Scope button puts the radar contacts on a C-Scope*. In particular it puts FCR Target icons on the TEDAC and HDU, depending on the sight.

For the context of this discussion, I thought the icons on the TEDAC scope were yellow for some reason. Are they? If they are not, what color are they instead? And since we're on the topic, are they green on the HDU? Surely they are.

* Radar scopes:
A over B meaning A is on the Y-Axis of the scope, B is the X-Axis. We get the bold marked radar scopes for the apache

B-Scope: Range over azimuth, box format and distorted. Known from many fighter aircraft radar scopes. We also get this in the apache on the FCR using the RMAP radar mode
C-Scope: Elevation over Azimuth. Also known in DCS for example in the hornet's AZ/EL page. We get a C-Scope overlay on the TADS and HDU upon pressing the C-Scope button on the HOCAS/TEDAC or the FCR MFD format page on T1 when in RMAP, GMT or ATM radar modes.
PPI-Scope: Plan Position Indicator. Undistorted scope in the form of either a circle or a circle segment. Known from the mirage radar for example or typical air traffic control radars. We get this using the GMT or ATM radar mode.

Old stuff:
A-Scope: Detection strength over range. Old school ranging scope only. Hardly used anymore.
RHI-Scope: Range-Height Indicator. Found in some old sam systems. Elevation over range.
J-Scope: Old, circular scope, radar return strength indicated in spikes on a circular graph indicating azimuth
E-Scope: Old scope. Elevation over range. Since the display is distorted into a rectangular scope, the same elevation is on a hyperbole path. In DCS we see this for example in the A-4 community mod when in profile mode. F-16s with TFR functions (not the US version we got) also have this on the TFR MFD page.

We also get the terrain profile radar mode for the apache. This will display terrain contour lines at different ranges.

More information here: https://www.radartutorial.eu/12.scopes/sc04.en.html

Edited by FalcoGer