Crash & Reboot / CTD when connecting to server

Sandwich

Dear Eagle Dynamics,

Over at 4YA we've been getting a few reports of players logging onto our servers and either imidiately or almost imidiately.

so far we managed to gather 3 logs all with similar errors (around) the later part in the logs regarding an ERROR wich looks something like this,

2021-10-11 13:08:50.964 ERROR   SOUND: invalid host_params(woLA-17508865): velocity

i'll also attach the three logs we could find with similar finds in the logs while either testing or handling player reports on our servers.

Thank you for your time, ED, and we hope it's of any use!

- Sandwich, (4YA)

dcs(1).log dcs.log

Edited by Sandwich
removed dcs(2).log due to appearant closed-beta branch

To add some more bits of info:

This currently is only happening on our Marianas server. We can share the miz and scripts privately if needed.

The server runs fine for 1-10 hours before the issue appears and players start being dropped from the server, and new players crash when trying to connect (with the above logs).

The issue occurs roughly once or twice a week. The first occurrence was on version 2.7.5.10869, shortly after 2021-08-11.

Appreciate any help,

Lurcher / 4YA

• Like 1

@Flappie This is the DCS server log for the crashes earlier today.

At the end (2021-10-11 13:11:59.297 in the log) we shut down the server, which incidentally led to a server crash itself during shutdown.

@Sandwich's connection attempt and client crash happens between 2021-10-11 13:07:57.926 and 2021-10-11 13:10:42.915 (corresponds to client log dcs(1).log above).

We cannot ourselves see in the logs whether the server is in this client-crashing state.

From the point of view of our server scripts, clients connect and just disconnect after a minute or two.

dcs-server-log.zip

• Thanks 1

I've had a look at the user logfiles.

a) dcs.log

That user has lots of mods that are broken. Besides that, they don't have much RAM and a pagefile that is likely not large enough. I expect them to have paging issues.

b) dcs(1).log

That user has an even smaller pagfile. I would expect them to get even out of memory errors, if they play for a longer time. Might be the same issue here - disconnects due to insufficient hardware.

c) dcs(2).log

That one is interesting, and I would ask you for the user name. That is no official DCS version but a closed beta. It had known issues. And it is no log to provide in public. => my bad, version was correct, all good

Edited by Special K

1 minute ago, Special K said:

c) dcs(2).log

That one is interesting, and I would ask you for the user name. That is no official DCS version but a closed beta. It had known issues. And it is no log to provide in public.

as far as i know, none of us were assigned to the closed beta team at the date of that log file (19/SEP/2021)
though i'm not part of the Closed Beta team, i'll remove the file as per requested. Sorry for the inconvenience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Lurcher:

@Flappie This is the DCS server log for the crashes earlier today.

At the end (2021-10-11 13:11:59.297 in the log) we shut down the server, which incidentally led to a server crash itself during shutdown.

@Sandwich's connection attempt and client crash happens between 2021-10-11 13:07:57.926 and 2021-10-11 13:10:42.915 (corresponds to client log dcs(1).log above).

We cannot ourselves see in the logs whether the server is in this client-crashing state.

From the point of view of our server scripts, clients connect and just disconnect after a minute or two.

dcs-server-log.zip 498 kB · 2 Downloads

Do you guys have any realtek software on that server? If yes, I assume you don't need it, so please deinstall it. I've seen a similar issue with another server recently. 

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

c) dcs(2).log

That one is interesting, and I would ask you for the user name. That is no official DCS version but a closed beta. It had known issues. And it is no log to provide in public.

dcs(2).log was my client log, and to be clear I was running the latest open beta at the time (mid September). I'm not sure why you think it's a closed beta version.

If users have issues with disconnects, etc. I'd recommend that they check three main things:

a) RAM

If they have below 32 GB of RAM they should make sure that they have a pagefile of at least 16 GB. The preload radius should not exceed 30.000

b) HDD vs SSD

You all know it already, but it is true for the pagefile, too. Especially with low RAM systems, people should check that their game and pagefile is on an SSD.

c) Antivirus Solutions

They shall make sure that they have excluded at least the game directory, best case even Saves Games\DCS(.openbeta) from their AV read scan.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Lurcher:

dcs(2).log was my client log, and to be clear I was running the latest open beta at the time (mid September). I'm not sure why you think it's a closed beta version.

My bad, rechecked the version. Sorry for that.

• Like 1

@Special K

To clarify this affects all clients trying to connect. The server remains empty once it starts crashing clients.

In my dcs(2).log example this should be enough resources, also running on an SSD without any antivirus except Windows Defender:

2021-09-19 15:21:44.190 INFO    DCS: CPU cores: 8, threads: 16, System RAM: 32698 MB, Pagefile: 18432 MB

10 minutes ago, Special K said:

My bad, rechecked the version. Sorry for that.

No problem, thank you for helping us look into this so far!

Edited by Lurcher

What you can do in addition is running the attached cmd. That is checking the registry and the most common files in Windows (I created that cmd for convenience, you can run the commands by yourself if you look into it). After it ran, you should do a reboot. So maybe do that in one of your maintenance windows. 

Has to be run as Administrator. It does not do any harm, just standard windows commands.

check_integrity.cmd

Update:

We ran the suggested diagnostics script (I could not tell immediately if it fixed anything of importance).
Also checked for any Realtek related software on the server, and could not find any. There's no mention in the DCS log of this either that I could tell.

I'll update this thread if/when we have a next occurrence of these client-side crashes.

The issue just started happening again, on the latest OB. Attached is the server log and my crashing client log.
Other players are crashing as well when they try to connect, like previously.

Server uptime was slightly more than 1 day in this case.

PS: Adding to the previous post, we have also already done a full (slow) repair on the server in the same maintenance window.

dcs_client.log dcs_server.log

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Lurcher

I am having this crash when entering the mission (select role/aircraft, then fly) on SP/MP Marianas map, using this MIZ file, which was also created on the same PC.

DCS OB 2.7.7.15038 with me hosting on the same PC as the sim.

Marianas Map w/a single Viper and single Hornet.

It happens when my buddy hosts and I host, but only I crash, not my buddy when he hosts this mission.  It started after the update after the map expanded island content.  All of my old Marianas missions fail in the same manner.  This MIZ file is created on the new map on the latest OB update.

UPDATE:  I ran a repair and that didn't alleviate the issue.  Still CTD when entering role/aircraft.  I can sometimes get the mission to run in the Viper when in single-player mission mode. I've uploaded that SP track (MarianasTest.TRK), along with today's MP track after repair (server-20211109-052033.trk).

dcs.log-20211108-171114.zip F-16C&18_MAR_IA_Hot StartNEW.miz

MarianasTest.trk server-20211109-052033.trk

Edited by Dawgboy

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // Saitek X65F Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //