[4K TEXTURE OVERHAUL, WIP] Magic's Modified Mustang Makeup

Magic Zach

4.jpg

This mod is a texture revamp of the default P-51D skins within DCS.  It is an attempt to bring the Mustang's graphical fidelity closer to ED's latest texture standards.  Currently it is only available in 2K, as the 4K texture overhaul is still WIP.  See latest posts on this thread.

Version: 1.1 (11/16/21)

I have returned to this project in late October 2022, and the progress on a 4K texture Mustang has begun!  For progress updates, be sure to check the latest posts on this thread.

This is a WIP personal project.  That means that working on this depends and uses my time, so I'm not going to be consistent.  And the WIP also means that this mod will continually be updated!  That means for the latest version with the newest features and latest bug fixes, you need to check in here or the DCS Userfiles occasionally.  I will make a post here for every update I make.
This thread is primarily for bug reports from you guys, feedback, and progress updates from myself.
"Progress updates?  Like what?"
I will try to do major updates in phases.  Planned features upcoming, in lose order, are: additional/modified weathering, increased texture resolution, completely overhauled rivet and fastener scheme, followed by an overhauled normal map.  These last two are pretty far off.  We'll see how this goes.  As I work on these, I'll probably post little snips of the work in here.

NOTE: NOT ALL SKINS FOR THE 51 ARE CURRENTLY INCLUDED.  MORE MAY COME LATER.
Modified default skins currently include:
RAF 19 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 64 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 112 Sqn
RAF 122 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 129 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 306 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 315
USAF 84th FS
USAF 363rd FS
USAF 364th FS
USAF 375th FS
USAF 485th FS
USAF 302nd FS, RED TAILS (v1.1)
Bare Metal (v1.1)

Download for the 2K version is available here on the DCS website: Magic's Modified Mustang Makeup [M4] (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

6.jpg

Edited by Magic Zach
Returned to work in Oct 2022 update
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

demo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even though I don't use stock skins really, these look awesome on previews and If they're made by the venerable Master-Mustang-Nitpicker himself ;), It would be a shame not to have them in one's DCS install. Downloading now! Thanks a lot.

EDIT: after a quick test flight, I do have an improvement suggestion, however. You textures seem to be lacking the fake ambient occlusion layer in the wheel wells (haven't looked into radiator ducts yet). That does cause an effect where they appear lit flat all around with no depth or shading present. Originals were better in this regard - comparison shots below (yours on top, stock ones below).

comparison.jpg

Edited by Art-J
Added first impressions.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, Art-J said:

Even though I don't use stock skins really, these look awesome on previews and If they're made by the venerable Master-Mustang-Nitpicker himself ;), It would be a shame not to have them in one's DCS install. Downloading now! Thanks a lot.

EDIT: after a quick test flight, I do have an improvement suggestion, however. You textures seem to be lacking the fake ambient occlusion layer in the wheel wells (haven't looked into radiator ducts yet). That does cause an effect where they appear lit flat all around with no depth or shading present. Originals were better in this regard - comparison shots below (yours on top, stock ones below).

comparison.jpg

Oh, good spot!  I'll be sure to fix that.  I'll try to remember to get this fixed for all the skins currently in before next Monday at the most.  I'll make a post here when it's uploaded.

This will be the first addition, or rather the start, of the changelog 🙂

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Version 1.0.1 released and available to download!
When updating it in your file structure, just drag it into the mods folder and click "Replace File In Destination" 👍

-Fixed shadow errors with the wheel wells
-Fixed/removed 485th invasion stripes on tail
-Bug fix for 84th battery vent

V1.0.0 Wheel wells

unknown.png

V1.0.1 Wheel wells:

unknown.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Version 1.0.2 is up and available for download from the UserFiles!
This time, adds something that's complained about the P-51 very frequently: the green pilots
Courtesy of both Whiplash882 and WineNB for doing the actual work on recolorizing the pilot's suit.  If you are a 51 livery conneseur, you may have seen this particular getup for our 51 driver before 😉

-added WWII-themed pilot for all available skins

unknown.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

1.0.3 released
-fix for RAF 19's left wing roughmet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1.0.35 released
-My bad guys!  When I fixed RAF 19's left wing, I completely missed that there was a roughmet issue with all the other left wings of the RAF skins.  The rough-looking messy quality of the left wing's invasion stripes are back in!

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also as promised, some snapshots of upcoming stuff.
I think the glass has been frosted long enough.

Default canopies:
image.png
Adjusted (for the moment):
image.png
Resolution had to be bumped, but also includes very slight smudging near the edges of reflections.  Might be able to pick them out at some angles.

smudgey_but_clear_glass.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

unknown.png?width=806&height=639

Edited by Magic Zach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Version 1.1 is out and available to download now!
-Added USAF 302nd FS, RED TAILS
-Added Bare Metal
-Added clear glass canopies to all liveries contained

You might notice the nose band and trim tabs are especially different between the default Red Tail livery, and this adjust one.  That's simply because ED made a mistake.  The livery is named "302nd FS", however by default the Red Tail skin is actually in the 100th FS scheme.  As I cannot adjust the title of the livery without it being either too confusing, or unable to properly overlap on top of the default textures, I have instead opted to change the scheme to actually represent the 302nd FS.  This is marked with the yellow/red striped nose bands (sometimes solid yellow, not represented in this mod) and the yellow trim tabs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi M_Zach,

I would like to know if this texture revamp is compatible with or keep this in mind. I commented this issue in another post 2 months ago. Another guy gave me a similar solution for all warbirds mod glass textures and how to install them in the docs/... folders, etc,..... it seemed to work, but only for some servers, so it's not a universal solution if it isn't implemented by ED.

I'm still waiting an ED official implementation in the original default texture zip file, it would be easier and an universal solution for this problem for everybody cause the visibility in the P-51 is a.... with this 2 year old last glass foggy, frosty default layer that is too far from giving us an inmersive sensation of been inside a mustang cockpit. 

By the way.... Great Job!!! . Old Mustang deserves a bit of justice, not only in the visual aspect, but it would be the subject for another sub topic place. 

Screen_211203_115235.png

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this work, Magic, great stuff! As you mention (at least between the lines), the Mustang, once a state-of-the-art showpiece, has over the years become a poor cousin. 😒 Looking forward to all your updates.
More, even heavy(!) weathering is much appreciated. Especially on the wings' step area, but every place else, too.
Redone rivets together with overhauled normal map will be eye-candy. And holy cow, increased texture res! Isn't that the reason why I ordered a Varjo? 😇

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 5:20 PM, Magic Zach said:

Version 1.1 is out and available to download now!
-Added USAF 302nd FS, RED TAILS
-Added Bare Metal
-Added clear glass canopies to all liveries contained

You might notice the nose band and trim tabs are especially different between the default Red Tail livery, and this adjust one.  That's simply because ED made a mistake.  The livery is named "302nd FS", however by default the Red Tail skin is actually in the 100th FS scheme.  As I cannot adjust the title of the livery without it being either too confusing, or unable to properly overlap on top of the default textures, I have instead opted to change the scheme to actually represent the 302nd FS.  This is marked with the yellow/red striped nose bands (sometimes solid yellow, not represented in this mod) and the yellow trim tabs.

Zach: I wondered if you had ceased development of this altogether or just got busy with life. I hope you continue, as these are absolutely fantastic. I would KILL for an updated version of the Big Beautiful Doll with your improvements. Thanks for all this. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2022 at 7:20 AM, evensen007 said:

Zach: I wondered if you had ceased development of this altogether or just got busy with life. I hope you continue, as these are absolutely fantastic. I would KILL for an updated version of the Big Beautiful Doll with your improvements. Thanks for all this. 

Hello!
Admittedly, development on this project has halted for the time being, but I don't plan to drop it on the long run.
Since early January, I've been at Basic Combat Training for the U.S. Army, and a couple weeks ago just enrolled in my classes in AIT, a 17-week course to become a 15R.  Hooah!  I won't get access to my PC, or DCS at all for that matter, until about August-September, and even then I don't know right now how much personal time I may or may not have to work on this project once I'm at my first duty station.

But, I do not plan to drop this project entirely.  Texturing has become a close hobby of mine over the past 3-4 years, and I don't believe I'd even be able to resist this if I wanted to.  The phases and plans for adjusted weathering, increased texture resolution, and (the big one) improved normal mapping is still on my mind, it's just unfortunately on hold for the past few, and the next few months.

As for Big Beautiful Doll....that was one of the next skins I planned to try to bring up to speed, before I left!  So when I get back, it will probably be the first one up.

In the meantime, I do hope you all enjoy the partial progress I have up to this point.  It's not the best improvement, I know, but I'm glad I at least got something out there before I had to drop the project (a problem I've had in the past) temporarily.

Edited by Magic Zach
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 12/3/2021 at 6:34 AM, OLD CROW said:

Hi M_Zach,

I would like to know if this texture revamp is compatible with or keep this in mind. I commented this issue in another post 2 months ago. Another guy gave me a similar solution for all warbirds mod glass textures and how to install them in the docs/... folders, etc,..... it seemed to work, but only for some servers, so it's not a universal solution if it isn't implemented by ED.

I'm still waiting an ED official implementation in the original default texture zip file, it would be easier and an universal solution for this problem for everybody cause the visibility in the P-51 is a.... with this 2 year old last glass foggy, frosty default layer that is too far from giving us an inmersive sensation of been inside a mustang cockpit. 

By the way.... Great Job!!! . Old Mustang deserves a bit of justice, not only in the visual aspect, but it would be the subject for another sub topic place. 

Screen_211203_115235.png

Interesting 🤔
For the mod to work, or the way I intended it to work anyways, is for it to literally replace ("Replace folder in destination?" --> YES) the default skin folders with the updated ones.  The Integrity Check shouldn't check the skins folder.  I had thought I added installation instructions in the mod, but if I didn't, my mistake.

Download the mod, and open it up into the liveries folder where it displays all the skin folders.  Select them all, and drop them into the similar folder in your DCS install.  When prompted to replace the folders in their destination, click YES.  You don't have to install this mod through the folders in SavedGames.  I don't even know how to do that anyways 😆

Alternatively, and this is how I do it, you can use the OvGME Modloader to install the skins.
Hope this helped some!

On 12/5/2021 at 7:29 AM, Dave317 said:

Thanks for doing all this work.  Is there any way to re paint the internal pilot model to match the external one?

There is, but unfortunately it would require a whole other area of liveries.  Cockpit and external aircraft liveries are kept separate, and they're applied differently.  While you can equip normal liveries in the ME, or in the rearming window, cockpit liveries can only be changed and applied through the Special Options tab, under Options, from the Main Menu.  I believe there is already a mod out there that uses a similar pilot suit scheme from within the cockpit, so maybe that's somewhere out there.  But for now, I plan to try to keep myself limited to just the external appearance of the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

Hello!

I thought I owed this thread a bit of a wave, since it's been four months since my last message.  This project has still never left my vision and I fully intend to get back to it as soon as I can.  I may be able to restart my work sometime in October, perhaps even November.  The list of things to do as mentioned way above, from 4K liveries, through completely redone riveting and to new normal maps are still my full intention.  It's just an unfortunate case of waiting before I can resume the work.

While we wait, if you're in the Americas, join 4YA WW2's multiplayer server!  We need more people to seed the server during the American evening time zones.  The goal is to acquire an attendance to rival that of the European time zones, which can go as high as 45 pilots in their evening.  No reason we can't do the same here and have round-the-clock combat against real players and opponents.  You can join the 4YA Discord here.

Edited by Magic Zach
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SRS is highly used, and encouraged!unknown.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 11 months of absence, work has resumed
Here's a little shot, showing part of my workflow 😉

image.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello!  By an individual but persistent request, I've made a version of the M4 mod for online multiplayer useage on the 4YA and No.20 servers!  Go check them out.  Both have great communities.
These skins are the same as those in the standard/main M4 mod, however, full invasion bands have been added to the American liveries.  This is not intended to be completely historical to each and every squad, but more aesthetic and to fit with the mood of June/July 1944.
You may find the new edition of the M4 mod here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3326703/

4.png

1.png

While I'm here, I feel that I might as well provide a couple new WIP screenshots of the 4K overhaul project.
This includes, thus far:
-two different dimensions of fasteners/studs
-Three different sizes of rivets (AD3, AD4, and AD5)
-Many, many spotwelds
-Reconfigured or added new holes and ports
-Almost entirely redrawn and dimensioned the panel edges.  They are more accurate proportionally, and in their location.  Some panel seams were not just located wrong, but met the edges of other panels in completely the wrong place.  This was addressed.

chromedupchoom.png

normal1.png

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Edited by Magic Zach
added text
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]