i motion when the IIAF tomcat that we can take the glove pylons off

evanf117

Yes, the IRIAF cat is supposed to have no TCS and fuel tank pylons. However, this particular bird seems to have a TCS or early IRST?

Ya early IRST, I read that Grumman tried to sell the Iranians the ALR-23 IRST but it was lowkey kinda trash so they decided to not buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not exactly 100% related to the topic but what does "i motion" or "im motion" mean in the title of the post?

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

7 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Not exactly 100% related to the topic but what does "i motion" or "im motion" mean in the title of the post?

i motion its a fancier way of saying i sagest  or im going to push for 

12 hours ago, Spurts said:

That would turn a 4xAIM-7 loadout into one fast interceptor

oh, that sounds like a fun mission doing mach 1.4-6 intercepts

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, TLTeo said:

Iirc the default loadout for a lot of the Iran-Iraq war was 4 Phoenixes, full gun, no other missiles, and plenty of optimism, so this would be a great option.

given the probably kills scored then id say it wasnt optimistic but realistic

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

On 10/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, TLTeo said:

Iirc the default loadout for a lot of the Iran-Iraq war was 4 Phoenixes, full gun, no other missiles, and plenty of optimism, so this would be a great option.

No Sidewinders? Do you know why?

Afaik the IRIAF didn't have the USN AIM-9G/H (let alone the L/M), only the AIM-9P, and they also only had AIM-7E, rather than the AIM-7F. What US missiles they had (mostly from their Phantom/F-5 orders) were not immediately compatible with the Tomcat.

I've read that they didn't take delivery of sparrows or sidewinder before the revolution and thus the Phoenix was all they had. The story goes the missiles from their F-4s weren't compatible.

That doesn't agree with this list of Iranian air victories, however.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iranian_aerial_victories_during_the_Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_war

Lots of sidewinder and sparrow kills.

Anyway I would rather have been in an Iranian Tomcat than any Iraqi bird during that particular conflict.

8 minutes ago, Katj said:

But they are -E model Sparrows and -P model Sidewinders, so the story about the IRIAF not having compatible missiles is true. The question is whether the integration (which definitely happened eventually) of those missiles happened before or after the war started.

It could also be that due to lack of parts/missiles, they only carried the Phoenix during defensive counter air type missions, and the Sidewinder/Sparrow during offensive operations.

14 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

It could also be that due to lack of parts/missiles, they only carried the Phoenix during defensive counter air type missions, and the Sidewinder/Sparrow during offensive operations.

That is actually the first time I have ever heard about the Phoenix only loadout. From what I have read so far, the standard loadouts were: 2x AIM-54A, 2x AIM-7E, 2x AIM-9P for the leader and 6x AIM-7E, 2x AIM-9P for the wingman. Phoenix stocks were limited so missiles were reserved for "important" shots. Sidewinders and Sparrows were part of the IIAF Tomcat's arsenal from the very beginning.

• Like 1

But they are -E model Sparrows and -P model Sidewinders, so the story about the IRIAF not having compatible missiles is true. The question is whether the integration (which definitely happened eventually) of those missiles happened before or after the war started.
The first sidewinder kill is listed on September 10 1980, which is at the very beginning of the conflict, or even slightly before.

"No compatible missiles" may still have been true for some units or something like that. Or maybe they just didn't have full functionality. Enough to kill, though, it would seem.

Yeah seems likely I'm misremembering the compatibility thing. I'm still 69% sure the 4x Phoenix loadout was a thing in some situations though.
I mean, for all we know they may have had to fire them in boresight mode. That they used them successfully doesn't exclude compatability issues.
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 4:21 PM, TLTeo said:

LOL no...

Typical load was 1 ship with 2 Phx, aim7/9, once in a while with 4. Wingman would be all Aim7/9.

Also for the "middle" of the war they didn't even load Phx since they were mostly out. 

2 hours ago, Katj said:

I've read that they didn't take delivery of sparrows or sidewinder before the revolution and thus the Phoenix was all they had. The story goes the missiles from their F-4s weren't compatible.

That doesn't agree with this list of Iranian air victories, however.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iranian_aerial_victories_during_the_Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_war

Anyway I would rather have been in an Iranian Tomcat than any Iraqi bird during that particular conflict.

They operated F4's and F5's long before they got F14's. Guess what missiles those used?

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, Harlikwin said:

They operated F4's and F5's long before they got F14's. Guess what missiles those used?

Guess what cooling those Sidewinders used by default.  And the E-2 Sparrow isn't compatible with the AWG-9 out of the box. 

Over time, the ability to get replacement hardware through clandestine means made some of these stocks viable. It wasn't anywhere remotely turnkey.

Edited by lunaticfringe

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2021 at 11:57 PM, Cab said:

others have already answered, but ill add an image, from once Iran made the 9P work with the tomcatEUWsJVyWAAAOujJ.jpg
 also there is some talk of when Russia helped mount R-27 on the F-14 they also helped mount either R-60, R-60M or R-73, but ive never seen an image or any proper conformation
U7jd1.jpeg
EGjufCKX4AAvZT6?format=jpg&name=medium

On 10/13/2021 at 1:45 AM, evanf117 said:

like in this image 
The first Iranian F-14A Tomcat BuNo. 160299 on a test ...
clean cat

This is a Demonstrator Airframe, flown over the U.S. to demonstrate the TCS as an options etc.

TCS was removed before it was delivered, as IIAF Declined that option.

The only reason it's 100% Clean is they were also demonstrating speed, etc.

Tail # 3863 is the only Tomcat w/ TCS and IIAF Markings

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

1 hour ago, SkateZilla said:

This is a Demonstrator Airframe, flown over the U.S. to demonstrate the TCS as an options etc.

TCS was removed before it was delivered, as IIAF Declined that option.

The only reason it's 100% Clean is they were also demonstrating speed, etc.

Tail # 3863 is the only Tomcat w/ TCS and IIAF Markings

i thought it was IRST not TCS, but, good info to know,

also even if it was just a demonstrator, id like to be able to remove all the pylons just for the memes, the speed, and the weight,  i dont see a reason not to have that as an option

Edited by evanf117