Control Speed/Sensitivity

Jakey-Poo

When turned down from “1” to “.25” in the lua file it is usable, but otherwise the trim input is much too rapid in order to make fine adjustments needed for either cruise or lining up for an accurate strafing run.  It is not an issue of “trim sensitivity” per-se, but we are splitting hairs here with our verbiage to address an issue that seems to be problematic for everyone.  Now for some reason my lua modification is no longer working in the Mosquito.  I think we would all really rather have this issue resolved within the sim so we don’t have to modify the lua file in order to make a system work as intended. 
EDIT: My lua change was just deleted (probably during a patch), and my keybinds were lost.

• Like 7

• Jakey-Poo changed the title to Trim input speed needs reduced (nose up/down)

As discussed previously with other modules, when trying to control an axis with button presses they move too rapidly making fine control of the levers impossible and distracting. The Spitfire, P51 and P47 all have this issue with the rpm lever swinging back and forth with the slightest tap of the button.

Can you slow it down or allow a special option to adjust the response maybe? It would be even cooler if you incorporated this adjustment into the friction wheel which is already present... 😇

• Like 2

Having a way in game to adjust rates for keybind inputs would be cool (not just trim but other things like adjusting gunsights for example). I have a theory that trim rates are frame rate dependent, do you have a high end rig/good frames?

On 10/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, Rolds said:

Having a way in game to adjust rates for keybind inputs would be cool (not just trim but other things like adjusting gunsights for example). I have a theory that trim rates are frame rate dependent, do you have a high end rig/good frames?

I wouldn't expect them to be. A sim has to scale its physics against real-time, it can't trust that its frame rate is any given value or consistent.

Easy to determine. Just race two different setups (or the same setup with different graphics settings) and see if one takes longer to move a trim wheel through the full range of travel than the other. I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

^ Or even easier for those of us who use 60Hz monitors and V-Sync, one can Alt-Enter between full screen and borderless windowed to switch between 60 fps and some higher value and see what happens with trim speed then.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

23 minutes ago, Art-J said:

^ Or even easier for those of us who use 60Hz monitors and V-Sync, one can Alt-Enter between full screen and borderless windowed to switch between 60 fps and some higher value and see what happens with trim speed then.

Why is that anyway? I don't see any evidence of tearing either way, so why would we ever want the slower rate? (Which appears to always go to whole number divisors of the display frame rate.)

Alt+Enter seems to be built into DirectX itself. It's not re-mappable in the sim. (Will we be losing this when we go to Vulcan? Would be fine by me, as long as we get the higher frame rate rather than the lower one.)

Edited by SMH

^ Plenty of tearing and stuttering for me on my monitor when not V-synced (or when fast-synced), plus, I use TrackIR so 60 fps is a necessity to get rid of stutters. "Your mileage may vary", however, with so many configs out there...

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

9 hours ago, Nealius said:

Same for cowl flaps, oil cooler, and intercooler shutters on the P-47: smooth and precise.

I wonder if we can tweak the speed values in a lua file like we did for the Mossie's trim wheel. 

yeah the rest all work fine, if you manage to work something out share here and I will copy, maybe ED could too

Good news and bad news.

Good news is that you can change the keyboard value speed to 0.3 and -0.3 (lines 480 and 481 in keyboard lua) so that the keyboard keys can be more precise.

Bad news is that you can't assign HOTAS buttons to those keybinds. Bad news #2 is there's no speed value in the joystick lua.

• NineLine changed the title to Control Speed/Sensitivity
Why is that anyway? I don't see any evidence of tearing either way, so why would we ever want the slower rate? (Which appears to always go to whole number divisors of the display frame rate.)

Alt+Enter seems to be built into DirectX itself. It's not re-mappable in the sim. (Will we be losing this when we go to Vulcan? Would be fine by me, as long as we get the higher frame rate rather than the lower one.)
LAlt+Enter is a Windows standard keybind for switching between windowed/fullscreen.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, SMH said:
(DirectX is a Windows-only technology.)

(And one we'll be abandoning if we ever go to Vulcan. Hence my question.)

Oh gee! I didn't know that. Chuckle.

You're the one writing "seems built in DirectX". Which got me confused as LAlt-Enter has been there "forever" and has nothing to do with DirectX. DirectX was released September 95, with first game, Doom 95 in 96.

But whatever...

image.png

Edited by MAXsenna

Already reported as soon as the module came out.

Nothing concreate reported back on whats going to be done for this 

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Slightly off-topic.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:34 PM, Nealius said:

Bad news is that you can't assign HOTAS buttons to those keybinds. Bad news #2 is there's no speed value in the joystick lua.

No, no... you CAN have it on the joystick:

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

2 minutes ago, scoobie said:

Slightly off-topic.

No, no... you CAN have it on the joystick:

I can't get it to work for the prop pitch levers. Once the speed is edited, the joystick and throttle categories are blocked out, preventing the user from assigning buttons to them. Default kebyoard binding is PageUP and PageDOWN.

:doh: Sorry.

The solution for elevator trim is untypical and "dirty", I wasn't really expecting it to work and tried it out of despair 🙂 It turned out to be working, but I've no idea why.

Maybe for RPM levers the typical solution will work - the speed may be in clickabledata.lua. That's the normal "go to" file to tweak such things. I haven't tried it in the Mossie, though.

• Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Yep, it's there 🙂

To change RPM levers movement speed (when they are driven by buttons or keys) do the following:

0. Make sure you know what you're doing, backup first etc. etc.

1. Go to:
<DCS dir>\Mods\aircraft\MosquitoFBMkVI\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua

2. Find this line (should be around line number 721 for left RPM and 729 for the right RPM, in the current version of the Mossie):

elements["PROPELLER_CONTROL_L"] = mcabin_movable_axis( {0}, _("Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.pitch"), devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, device_commands.Button_36, 22, 0.0, 0.1, true, false, {{SOUND_NOSOUND, SOUND_NOSOUND}})

3. Change the 7th argument which by default reads 0.1 (as depicted in the code above) to - say - 0.02

Note: 0.02 is very slow, tune the number to your own taste.

4. Repeat for the right lever. The code is a few lines lower down, "PROPELLER_CONTROL_R".

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^ Hmmmm... I've never edited clickabledata.lua. Is it possible to adjust wheel brake lever movement speed there as well? Brakes "filling up" to 100% too rapidly when assigned to digital switch is another pet peeve of mine in the Mossie at the moment.