Magnetic Base (HOTAS Warthog) replacement potentiometers

Bergison

Does anyone know if the hall sensor (stick x/y axis) of the Thrustmaster Magnetic Base can be replaced by standard potentiometers? The built-in sensor has a 5-pin connector to the main PCB. I am wondering which pins could be used to connect two potentiometers instead?
Ask@rel4y He will probably know.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Bergison said:

Does anyone know if the hall sensor (stick x/y axis) of the Thrustmaster Magnetic Base can be replaced by standard potentiometers? The built-in sensor has a 5-pin connector to the main PCB. I am wondering which pins could be used to connect two potentiometers instead?

The thing is, highly probable the USB controller firmware recognize only the digital signal from Hall sensor X,Y axes, not the analog signal send by potentiometers.

Besides this, Thrustmaster "magnetic base" (or Warthog base) GIMBAL is oscillatory type, without separation from X, Y axes movement, no practical way to install two potententiomters there.

So without extensive modifications in controller (e.g. adding a converter for analog signal became digital) and in gimbal mechanics no way.

Will be more easy - and result better; make a new gimbal and USB controller.

Just out of curiosity: Why would you want to replace a contactless magnetic sensor with potentiometers? They suffer from collecting dust, degrade over time and produce rather noisy signals. Everyone wants to replace pots with hall sensors, so: Why going back?

Edit: Sokol is right, the wh gimbal cannot be used with pots...

Edited by crash test pilot

Thanks for your replies guys! OK, understood. To my defense, I modded a Warthog stick to an (almost) non-moving F-16 style stick with pressure sensors. They send analog signals like potentiometers and work really well. I connected them to the potentiometer pins of an old Cougar stick board, because I wanted to use this together with the Cougar throttle. Before posting instructions to the build, I wanted to find out if they can be connected to the Warthog as well.

Edited by Bergison

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

23 hours ago, Bergison said:

I modded a Warthog stick to an (almost) non-moving F-16 style stick with pressure sensors. They send analog signals like potentiometers and work really well.

In this case use another USB controller for handle de potentiometers, e.g. Leo Bodnar BU0836A or some DIY, e.g. Arduino PRO Micro+MMJoy2, FreeJoy...

On 10/14/2021 at 12:40 PM, Bergison said:

I am pretty sure the TM Warthog has the MLX sensor wired up in SPI (aka digital) mode. Could also be PWM or ratiometric looking at the sensor datasheet, but I sort of doubt it. On an unrelated note, how in the world does TM list the Warthog as 16 Bit res when the MLX spec sheet says 14 Bit over 360° in SPI mode. That would be like 9-10 Bit resolution at the actual 60°... WHAT?! 🤔

I think I will have a peek into what mode is actually used next weekend, thats worth looking into concerning potential mods.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:00 AM, MAXsenna said:

Vipergear's pressure mod is compatible with both Cougar and Warthog it says on their page.
Rel4y is making two different I believe.

Mine is also compatible with Warthog, Cougar and Simpits. Its the same exact base mod with different mounting plates. 😃👍

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 1

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

So I am writing this for 2 reasons:

1. To share my experience since following this thread, so others may possibly avoid going down my path.

2. Is to get answers and move on.

Since August I have been trying to purchase a magnet sensor for my Cougar. For whatever reason this whole time I have been unable to get either a link to purchase, an ETA, or anything but a random response, every few months. Rel4y apologizes, says he was on vacation, asks me to either specify what I want to order, or just doesn't mention my requests to a purchase link. Then he disappears. Yet I see he was on here just 4 hours ago...

I have a broken Cougar that has needed attention for months, and I cannot help but to think that I am being avoided on purpose, for whatever reason. I especially think that becuase the last email I sent was 5 days ago. In it, Rel4y said he somehow didn't understand what part I wanted to purchase, despite literally having a picture of the part, in the prior email he responded to.

Plus, I have an email thread going back to at least August, of me requesting a way to purchase. Eachtime, the response gets sidetracked, when I request a Paypal Link, or way to purchase.

If anyone can help me find a magnet sensor like the ones pictured in this thread, please let me know.

I need them for 2 Cougars. Desperately, apparently.20211018_010150.jpg

20211018_010502.jpg

Edited by Fang333333

Well, Joe!
I can understand your frustration, but I believe this is the wrong place for it.
My experience with rel4y has been nothing but stellar, but I did my purchase before this last 18 month shit storm.
You didn't post all your correspondence, and I don't care to see it, but from what you posted now, I wouldn't be really sure if you meant for stick or throttle, but I guess you made it clear in what you didn't post here.
I wish you the best, and I'm really sorry it didn't work out for you, especially because the mod is super great.
Cheers!

PS: Not sure if Vipergear has a throttle mod. But you might want to email them. I got an immediate response.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah sorry, Joe! The Cougar throttle hall mods were out of stock and I marked you as preorder. I probably read your mail to literally and this was bad communication on my side. Currently, I only have time to respond to mails about twice a week and then I answer about 30-40 mails. This is just a hobby for me and not my main job, so please dont take the delays personally. Once the Force sensors ship out, I will probably have to scrap the Cougar sensors completely due to time constraints. Its also no fun procuring automotive parts like the ICs I use in these sensors anymore, total hogwash...

On 10/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, MAXsenna said:

Well, Joe!
I can understand your frustration, but I believe this is the wrong place for it.
My experience with rel4y has been nothing but stellar, but I did my purchase before this last 18 month shit storm.
You didn't post all your correspondence, and I don't care to see it, but from what you posted now, I wouldn't be really sure if you meant for stick or throttle, but I guess you made it clear in what you didn't post here.
I wish you the best, and I'm really sorry it didn't work out for you, especially because the mod is super great.

Cheers!

Thanks mate, youre the best! I will soon post another update on the force sensing progress. I know its painful to be kept waiting like this, but I am really trying to get it ready before Christmas! Its been a big investment on my side - time and money, but I dont want to throw it on the market before I am 200% convinced its perfect.

Edited by rel4y
  • Thanks 1

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 3:40 AM, Bergison said:

No can do!

It's an MLX90333 running in 3-wire SPI mode, instead of analog 5V mode, or PWM mode, like rel4y guessed correctly. That's why it's 5 wires... dead giveaway, Vcc, GND, MISO/MOSI, CLK, and CS. In PWM or analog mode, it would be 4 wires, Vcc, GND, X, and Y.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hempstead said:

No can do!

It's an MLX90333 running in 3-wire SPI mode, instead of analog 5V mode, or PWM mode, like rel4y guessed correctly. That's why it's 5 wires... dead giveaway, Vcc, GND, MISO/MOSI, CLK, and CS. In PWM or analog mode, it would be 4 wires, Vcc, GND, X, and Y.

Thank you for confirming!

Btw I am a huge fan of your work on the RTOS based controllers! I had a chinese Due with your firmware running on my primary Stick for two years and its awesome. Still waiting on that MLX90363 integration though. 😃 Thank you for all your great work!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rel4y said:

Thank you for confirming!

Btw I am a huge fan of your work on the RTOS based controllers! I had a chinese Due with your firmware running on my primary Stick for two years and its awesome. Still waiting on that MLX90363 integration though. 😃 Thank you for all your great work!

Thank you for your kind words... @rel4y

I didn't know any simmer is using it. I know a small commercial company was (is?) using it for their sim controllers, and a Brazilian company was (is?) using it for controlling ROVs. Other than that, I know nothing.

No MLX90363 for Hempstick incoming. But the good news is... I am contemplating on writing Hempstick Pico, a complete rewrite from scratch for RPi Pico (maybe even RPi Zero 2 W). It may take a long while... my goal is force generators for my own controllers (the bronze casting of F16 TQS for instance.). So, timetable is on the progress of my own controller prototypes (stick, throttle, and rudder all); i.e. when I need it, I will write it. Moreover, I am "busy" with DCS F16C. 😉 

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.

• Like 2