Interview with Matt Wagner

C3PO

Well, so I was in WH Smith’s this morning and found the new edition of PC Pilot is now on the shelves. Chuffed as punch to see the double two-page spread in there - even bought my own copy 😍 The magazine has a strong Microsoft Flight Simulator following so it’s great to get combat sims covered in that arena to a wider audience. Talking of which, there is also a feature on the following following pages on retro combat sims. From the screenies we’ve come a HUGE way!

Edited by C3PO
  • Thanks 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Thank you Eagle Dynamics for taking this approach towards VR, modificating the code into a more "VR-friendly". That, I'm sure, will make all the difference.

Even if the release date is unknown, testing is said to start by the end of the year. That's a great new just by itself.

• Like 1

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I hope the digital copy (single issue) will be available soon. I'll keep an eye on this link I found:
PC Pilot Magazine - Issue 135 Subscriptions | Pocketmags

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Awesome looking forward to it

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

It was a good interview, thanks!

No new information in there, but it was nice to get a few more details, and confirmation that ED does indeed have dedicated people working purely on VR.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I think its the fact that they are looking into making a map of the world for the game

Modules:

MiG-15bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24, FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, AH-64D, AJS 37 Viggen,  F-5E, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B/NA, JF-17, C-101, Bf 109 K-4, Fw-190 A8, Fw-190 D9, F-86F, P-47D-30, P-51D, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI

Maps/Mods:

Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Normandy, Marianas, SC, CA, A-4E, MB-339

48 minutes ago, coreyhkh said:

what was the unannounced feature under development ?

It actually has been talked about before in other interviews. To be honest, there wasn't really much we didn't know about before.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

1 hour ago, Left Wing said:

I think its the fact that they are looking into making a map of the world for the game

From the guy in "Jaws"......."I think we're gonna need a bigger SSD!"  

• Like 1

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

So glad, to finally see a World Map in development where various squadrons from their nations can fly against others or long continental flights, interdiction missions joint operations NATO exercises  so much now even just commercial aviation to take part and enjoy different scenery as well...... DCS WORLD.... given its true meaning Love It! 😉👍

• Like 2

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Whole world map would be stupid and unrealistic. It is only mentioned to build hype for DCS so kiddos join. Marketing strategy. Whole world would be empty, low detail and memory intensive way worse than Syria.

I wouldn‘t call it stupid, low detail and empty. Just let‘s wait and and see how ED will model the whole world and the damage model. Yes, it‘s a big challenge but I am sure ED will find a way to go!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IcedVenom said:

Whole world map would be stupid and unrealistic. It is only mentioned to build hype for DCS so kiddos join. Marketing strategy. Whole world would be empty, low detail and memory intensive way worse than Syria.

It would be interesting, but definitely empty.  Definitely aimed at the 40k feet crowd.

Edited by 3WA

7 hours ago, IcedVenom said:

Please, don't pretend you know anything.

4 hours ago, Weasel said:

I wouldn‘t call it stupid, low detail and empty. Just let‘s wait and and see how ED will model the whole world and the damage model. Yes, it‘s a big challenge but I am sure ED will find a way to go!

There's nothing stupid about it. If done correctly, they could have most the data in the cloud, and have all the objects recognition from GIS data, like Flight Simulator, done with AI algorithms to correlate with a local objects database.

For the base GIS data, ED will probably strike a deal of one of the big suppliers, who already have this all right.

Just to give an example, I recently worked on a project to make a map for Steel Beasts Pro PE and I decided to go with a map that is relevant to our times while still providing the best options in terms of data availability. I chose to create a map of a region close to Suwalki gap, in Poland, in a likely corridor from there towards the capital. The data was amazing.

> 1-2m/px resolution for the heightmap

> Superb vector data with everything, every object and all this data sorted and categorized. Even the type of trees and their percentages withing a given wooded area was provided in the metadata. All building were classified into hundreds of types, like residential one, two, three floors, schools, hospitals, industry, garage, shops.....roads according to their ground types and lanes...

> To go beyond that, I also used AI recognition algorithms in order to classify the surface types according to their spectral signatures, so I could differentiate, for example, green grass, from wheat; swamps from dry land and so on..

The picture below is made only of vector data of a small area sample of this project:

Ostrow_summer.jpg

What simulations engine provide nowadays is a synergy between all this data in a way that it is available only when needed. The engine itself will build the map according the a metadata and pick the right object that fits in. One can create templates and biomes to populate a given area and that will only make it even better.

Edited by BIGNEWY
removed other sim video 1.15
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

11 hours ago, IcedVenom said:

To be fair world maps have been a thing on civilian flight sims for a long time. Even back in the 90s a world map with some scenery was possible. So today it could be much more do-able with reasonable detail. I could see the ED store being filled with various airfields and high detail scenery packs. That way we could build the world we want, and transit across the areas we are less interested in, or just stay in the smaller high detailed areas similar to what we have now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure , technically it could be done, whether it can actually be done by ED remains to be seen. Personally, I'm getting zero excited about this.

If you look at EDs track record in regards to the things they announce with big pomp, versus the stuff they actually delivered upon and when..

I mean, among other things MAC, public bug tracker, AI improvements , realistic FM for AI, ATC, their own voice system (yes its there, but in what state?),

the other  core stuff, network code, weather ..

Also when you see how little bug fixing some of their older modules receive, you get the impression their plate is more than overloaded already. They are 

ambitious, no doubt, they even want to overhaul electronic warfare ... what they actually pull off and in what timeframe remains to be seen..

Instead of continously pushing out new announcement about what fancy big new things are to be come, I would prefer them simply to  finish the stuff

they already started.

So I take this with a motherlode-sized grain of salt and expect it to (maybe) become a thing in 2027 or so.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Regards,
Snappy

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think ED (very wisely) throws out ideas to see what gets people talking and what doesn’t. Personally, I’d love to see a whole world map and if it ever becomes an option, I’ll be the first to buy it. But, if it doesn’t generate sufficient interest, they’ll apply their efforts toward the dynamic campaign, or VR improvements, or an F-4 Phantom, etc. They pay attention to what we show interest in. And for me, the interest is high. I’d love a whole world map!

• Like 1

I think ED are very serious about the globe aspect - so I think it'll happen.

• Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

57 minutes ago, MTM said:

I think ED (very wisely) throws out ideas to see what gets people talking and what doesn’t. Personally, I’d love to see a whole world map and if it ever becomes an option, I’ll be the first to buy it. But, if it doesn’t generate sufficient interest, they’ll apply their efforts toward the dynamic campaign, or VR improvements, or an F-4 Phantom, etc. They pay attention to what we show interest in. And for me, the interest is high. I’d love a whole world map!

In that case...

Everything is very fine and dandy, what I would like to know is, when will a Central / Eastern Europe map (Germany, Berlin Wall, etc) be available ?

• Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

40 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

In that case...

Everything is very fine and dandy, what I would like to know is, when will a Central / Eastern Europe map (Germany, Berlin Wall, etc) be available ?

Have faith. All things in time.