Interview with Matt Wagner

C3PO

30 minutes ago, Jafergon said:

I think a world map is the natural evolution for DCS and I'm sure some of the professional customers have been demanding this for a while. For me it's amazing news and I think it will make this platform unlimited in terms of potential!

I do agree with nearly everything you say, one bit is I doubt the professional customers want a whole world. I wouldn't expect much real world transit training is required. After that it probably doesn't matter what or where it is. Mostly just tactics and working together rather than anything else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I do agree with nearly everything you say, one bit is I doubt the professional customers want a whole world. I wouldn't expect much real world transit training is required. After that it probably doesn't matter what or where it is. Mostly just tactics and working together rather than anything else.

I dont really think that a global map has anything to do with whole world transiting. If you want, yeah, go for it, get a *few tankers and go fly for a day, in VR.

On the other hand, the possibility to choose anywhere to fly is unmatched, and as a business, you can sell specific assets for different uses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

6 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

To be fair world maps have been a thing on civilian flight sims for a long time. Even back in the 90s a world map with some scenery was possible. So today it could be much more do-able with reasonable detail. I could see the ED store being filled with various airfields and high detail scenery packs. That way we could build the world we want, and transit across the areas we are less interested in, or just stay in the smaller high detailed areas similar to what we have now.

Yeah... but they've often been very low detailed... for instance the Capital of Canada never had all of its rivers - sometimes patches of water in the wider parts of the rivers, but no actual connected rivers - even X-Plane 11 is like this for the second largest river in Ottawa.

There is also the issue of size (Terrabytes or Petabytes of data) and having realistic objects for the region - which have to be modelled.

I can see mounting existing maps onto a globe - and the creation of larger numbers of maps - but I don't think anything near the quality required for actual military simulations is possible at those scales.

• 2 weeks later...

Every big feature always had a technology / development implication, and it’s very easy to say something couldn’t/wouldn’t/shouldn’t be done. If we all listened to that, MP would never have happened (the fragility and terrible transfer rates of data in the 90s), the ICE would never have been developed (horses were much faster and far more reliable at inception) and I dare say the wheel might not have happened (“Bert, why are you playing with that stupid stone when you could be carrying this stuff to the next settlement?”). 

Edited by C3PO
  • Like 4

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

World map... finest news ever for DCS, I strongly wish they use the photogrammetric (or IA when not possible) approach like MSFS... I find that even a very good small man-made maps is not as immersive as its photogrammetric relative! -(like the Mariana or Syria map, they're very very well done, but... each aspect [redondant houses and buildings, unnatural connection between terrain and buildings, etc.] reminds me it's a game, not the reality....while the magic works for example in MSFS when cruising central Europe for imagining a cold war scenario - DCS World really merits that!!]

Edited by ZnarF

Id settle for a single optimised crater right now. In any map. 

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 7:56 PM, cordite said:

Not interested in server based maps.

They said nothing about cloud-services, but yes, I do want DCS to be fully featured offline product except ofcourse Multiplayer in the case of no connection (and except activation/licensing)

If PC hardware's not good enough ... I doubt, but if the goals are high, then we just get better hardware then, I had a long time idea of a new professional PC platform that would be in between the PC high-enthusiast end and enterprise, workstation isn't really it and doesn't cut it. It would be for many things not just sims, but sims would be one of the things.

Yes, optimistic 😉

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Interested in how they will pull off a world map when individual slices seem to be a challenge for all but the strongest pc’s on flat screen but hey, what do I know. 
More curious is that PC Pilot Magazine is an actual thing.  Explains an awful lot of the behavior around here.  

• Like 2

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

20 hours ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

Interested in how they will pull off a world map when individual slices seem to be a challenge for all but the strongest pc’s on flat screen but hey, what do I know. 
More curious is that PC Pilot Magazine is an actual thing.  Explains an awful lot of the behavior around here.  

VBS4 engine have an interesting mechanism. The map is procedurally generated on server side then somehow is sharing it with the clients... could be a thing for DCS as well maybe... just my thoughts!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

• 3 weeks later...

I can just hear the whiners now:   "We have the WHOLE WORLD that can participate in this (dynamic campaign) war!!  Why doesn't the DC engine take into account that [Russia|China|US|whoever] is just a couple hundred miles away, and they can be included?"

I think that the complexities of trying to build a map-based (read: confined space) dynamic campaign engine is, according to DCS/Eagle themselves, hard.  It was part of the roadmap for 2021, but that has clearly be re-prioritized, largely (I suspect) on the difficulties of making it work they way that they want it to.  Add on top of this the fluidity or "open world" sort of possibilities of a world map, and there is a lot to consider.

In addition, an 'open world' sort of ability within DCS, while a noble and worthy cause, is going to be initially met with the screaming, stamping of feet and griping, that the aircraft/armies/equipment of [Insert My Favorite Country here] are not properly represented!!  <rage!> 

Don't get me wrong.  I'd love to have it.  I just think that an open-world DCS is going to require a LOT of help in development from modders and third-party content providers.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, Weasel said:

As much as I appreciate a whole world, the damage model, however, is a big challenge. That means every object which is destroyable (buildings, bridgets, airfields etc)

This ^^^

I personally have nearly zero interest in a World Map for DCS at this stage. I think the world map is overrated. Bring on a dynamic campaign in a realistic war region like we currently have... and I'm more than good. 👍

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 2

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

World map would be an interesting feature. And I am not against that idea. However, in DCS we would benefit marginally from it. We still are bound by operational range of our planes and ground assets. And to the theater of operations. Personally I think that high-fidelity, well optimised maps of current size are not bad choice, but maybe I am too easy to please. Speaking of pleasing.... Please, swap those LOMAC-era buildings. It hurts so much when you see those popping out of the blue and screaming: "Why you don't love me, player?!" 😄 I will be pleased, if they won't haunt me anymore. 

Hello guys, merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you are fine.

On the dynamic campaign engine there are some interesting news? I would like to have more content to single player experience. Is it worth to purchase the interview to find some good news on the dynamic campaign?

5 minutes ago, MeatBall said:

Hello guys, merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you are fine.

On the dynamic campaign engine there are some interesting news? I would like to have more content to single player experience. Is it worth to purchase the interview to find some good news on the dynamic campaign?

Need wait to the 2022 and beyond newsletter on the first days of next year about the a DC update. Meanwhile, has some news on previous interviews.

• Like 2

My pure guess is 2022/23 for DC…

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5