Temperature units?

FalcoGer
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

I'm a little confused by the usage of temperature units in the bird.

FAT is in °C, cockpit temperature (set and measured) is in °F on the same MFD page.
Then NGB temp and transmission oil temperature is in °C but ECS temperature is in °F again.

What gives?!

Couldn't they decide? Did they want to use sane units for things that mattered but have the pilots use this nonsense for their aircon?

You would think in the same software that they stick to one or the other, but no, american as they are, they refuse reason.

Can we get an international software with °C only please? Doesn't seem that far of a stretch if we get left eye HMDs, which seems way more unrealistic.

On the other hand you can switch between km and nm (nanometers, xD) just fine on the TSD. Seems odd.

Edited by FalcoGer

8 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

... On the other hand you can switch between km and nm (nanometers, xD) just fine on the TSD. Seems odd.

nm probably stands for nautical miles.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

• ED Team
  • Solution
17 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

Couldn't they decide? Did they want to use sane units for things that mattered but have the pilots use this nonsense for their aircon?

You would think in the same software that they stick to one or the other, but no, american as they are, they refuse reason.

Well first of all, the ECS is there to keep the avionics cool.

Second, and this has nothing to do with the Apache obviously, I don't think making generalizations about a specific nationality with regards to perceived "reason" will win you any points on an internet forum. Just some respectful advice.

• Like 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Does it matter? As long as there is a nominal value and a "do not cross" value, what difference does it make if the temperature is measured in Kelvin, Celcius, Fahrenheit or BTUs?
As a guy marinated in the metric system since birth, I don´t find imperial units difficult to handle - either they are quite easy to convert, or conversion is not needed. I mean, what is the point of converting the amount of fuel in the tank from lbs to kgs? The important thing is to know that a certain amount means that I can fly for so long. Same thing with temperature. I have no idea how much 800°F is in °C - but if it´s marked red on the dial or the manual says it´s too much, I may have a problem.

I can buy that distance and altitude can be a problem when your aircraft is using metric and the others are using imperial. but it is not that hard to learn how many feet one meter is (3,3), and how many km there is in a nautical mile (1.85) and make a quick calculation.

• Like 2

My issue is the reasoning why they chose to mix in the first place.

58 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Well first of all, the ECS is there to keep the avionics cool.

I know. I was also talking about the cockpit temperatures though.

My other issue is that I can imagine an EGT of 900 °C is probably a bit on the high side while 840°F has no meaning to me.

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

I don't think making generalizations about a specific nationality

It was more meant as a joke. But that aside it does seem to be a more general issue. Take the F18 for example, showing L/L in degrees, minutes and seconds on one page (HSD), but degrees, minutes and decimal minutes on another (weapon target information) It seems odd to me to mix measurement units where they don't need to be mixed, especially on the same platform.

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

to perceived "reason"

I was asking for the reason. I was just given my thoughts on what the reason might be. If you have a better explanation, please go ahead.

Americans will measure with anything but the metric system Q 41 Action News  0 @41actionnews - 4d A sinkhole roughly the size of six to seven washing  machines ha… | Metric system,

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

It was more meant as a joke. But that aside it does seem to be a more general issue. Take the F18 for example, showing L/L in degrees, minutes and seconds on one page (HSD), but degrees, minutes and decimal minutes on another (weapon target information) It seems odd to me to mix measurement units where they don't need to be mixed, especially on the same platform.

I know it was a joke, but my point (which I probably didn't make very clear) was that "things that make no sense" are present in all forms of military equipment, regardless of country of origin.

In the case of the AH-64D (and I would assume the same for the F-18 since both are made by the same manufacturer: McDonnell Douglas before Boeing bought them), what happens is you have one office design system requirements for one system, and another office design the other. Different divisions of engineers don't always talk to each other, and different industries often use different units of measurement depending on the most common type in that industry, or even dependant on which subcontractor actually makes the part/component.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Clyber said:

So... there is no way to change the Cockpit temperature unit to Celcius ?

No, I don't think so.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...