New Islands

Northstar98

Hi everyone,

As can be seen in SilverDragon's unofficial roadmap thread, Pagan island was recently teased in the F-16CM HMCS DED page video.

Pagan island is the 5th largest island in the Marianas, composed of 2 stratovolcanoes, joined by a strip of land. The island was previously more populated, but its population was largely evacuated after eruptions in 1981. More recently plans were made to turn a section of the islands into a live-fire training range, but has received strong opposition.

There is a very small grass strip airfield on the island, with a 1500 ft/~460 m long runway.

The island can be seen on the F-16CM's FCR page at this timestamp:

FUbyBl3.jpg

Here's what the island looks like in Google Earth:

bFDwxyV.jpg

More recently, in the bullseye update video, we can see more islands, these are the Maug islands and the Asuncion island. The Maug islands are the eroded outer rim of a submerged volcano and Asuncion is a large stratovolcano, which last erupted in 1906.

We see the Maug islands on the left:

X6y3589.jpg

And Asuncion island on the right:

W73IWet.jpg

And in Google Earth, the Maug islands:

uzHPlKY.jpg

And Asuncion island:

htxPZNP.jpg

Edited by Northstar98
added F-16CM HMCS DED video link and timestamp
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

@Northstar98, thanks for all the detailed info. The immense task and amount of work that must go into coding something like DCS World becomes clearer with each passing month. Adding things like these islands, or the recently announced update to the Super Carrier deck crew are such a small part of the total picture, but they do confirm for me at least the reason I support the effort. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

@Northstar98, thanks for all the detailed info.

Meh, wasn't that detailed, but I guess there isn't too much to these islands, they're all basically unihabited.

The only thing I will say is that these islands are further to the north than our existing islands, and there are 5 additional islands (excluding Pagan) between Asuncion and Farallon de Medinila, presumably they're all in too.

Though note these islands are tiny and their terrain is pretty much unsuitable for just about everything but sight-seeing - they're all essentially volcanoes (Anatahan, which is the next island to the north from Farallon de Medinilla, is one of the most active in the region).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah but one can dream of… "Next" islands to those are actually Iwojima ones, not that far away than those new islands… We do know there's a WWII version of this coming, and even though Bignewy say it was known (yes, it was but not that much "confirmed" as current WIP, or kind of) but whole Globe map news and all of a sudden…  🤤🤤🤤

Yeah, I know, day dreaming 😁.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice