Auto Turn to Target: why is the target always slightly to the left?

Hive

Hi Guys! I started to learn the Black Shark a few days ago and I really enjoy it. Great module! Already hyped for Black Shark 3 😀

There is one thing I do not understand. I observed that every time I use "Auto Turn to Target" the heli will orientate itself so that the target is slightly to the LEFT of my own heading. Sometimes this results in the target being outside of the cannon box on the HUD (which is slightly to the right where the gun is mounted). So it is not possible to fire the gun without using rudder. I would consider this a real disadvantage and in my understanding it would only make sense if "Auto Turn" orientated the target slightly to the RIGHT (if not dead center), so that the target is always inside of the gun box.

Perhaps you can explain why it is the other way around? Big thanks!

• Like 2

I haven't tried that in a few weeks now, but have you tested this out in different missions/scenarios? I generally found that it's roughly oriented for a Vikhr shot, which from the left launcher might be what you experience. Other than that the KA-50s autopilot does correct for wind in the ground track, which in some wind- and range conditions either puts the automatic rudder to its limit or ends up pointing the nose further upwind than you would expect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've noticed this too, in all missions. The vikhr firing circle does not line up with the targeting circle on the HUD. It follows it to a point but is always deflected, even when perfectly still. Doesn't seem to be affected by wind since it happens regardless of my orientation. Perhaps you should report it in the bugs forum! 🙂

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

8 minutes ago, FupDuck said:

I've noticed this too, in all missions. The vikhr firing circle does not line up with the targeting circle on the HUD. It follows it to a point but is always deflected, even when perfectly still. Doesn't seem to be affected by wind since it happens regardless of my orientation. Perhaps you should report it in the bugs forum! 🙂

Vikhr firing circle is where the Vikhr is looking.  And it will be to right and left of your target depending on which side Vikhr will be firing next.  If turn to target always matches with Vikhr, you'd be constantly rotating left and right.  Just set Vikhr firing mode to manual.

And same with OP, if turn to target is setup for cannon, you'd still have to use rudder if firing left side Vikhr.  You just have to get used to using rudder constantly.

If any of you are using twist rudder, try switching to a rotator or slider on your HOTAS as rudder.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Vikhr firing circle is where the Vikhr is looking.  And it will be to right and left of your target depending on which side Vikhr will be firing next.  If turn to target always matches with Vikhr, you'd be constantly rotating left and right.  Just set Vikhr firing mode to manual.

And same with OP, if turn to target is setup for cannon, you'd still have to use rudder if firing left side Vikhr.  You just have to get used to using rudder constantly.

If any of you are using twist rudder, try switching to a rotator or slider on your HOTAS as rudder.

Thanks Taz, I'll pay closer attention later when I'm playing to see if the vikhr circle alternates left/right of the targeting circle as I'm firing. Can't say I've ever noticed if it was on one side or the other, I've just noticed it wasn't where the shkval was pointed! 🙂

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:34 PM, FupDuck said:

Thanks Taz, I'll pay closer attention later when I'm playing to see if the vikhr circle alternates left/right of the targeting circle as I'm firing. Can't say I've ever noticed if it was on one side or the other, I've just noticed it wasn't where the shkval was pointed! 🙂

Just to close this out, I can confirm that the vikhr circle alternates to the left and right of the targeting circle, so this does indeed seem to be due to the offset of the missiles compared to the targeting lens.

So, few points:

- The Vikhr circles are indeed offset and alternate left/right depending on which rack will launch. This is due to the fact that the vikhr is a beam riding and is looking BACKWARDS to the laser, not forwards like an LGB. That's why you see it twirl around so much when in flight. That it's looking backwards, it needs to intersect the beam for it to start tracking. Because the launch racks are parallel to the centerline of the airframe, launching the missile "into" the beam helps in it catching/guiding earlier.

- The auto-turn-to-target it not an auto aim measure.. It'll get the helo pointed roughly in the right direction, but it's up to the pilot to fine tune to launch. That means that you'll have to re-aim after each shot, because the reticle will swap left/right each time.

Hope this helps 🙂

• Like 1