TTI counter for AIM-7 Sparrow?

Prez

I know there's already a thread talking about this Tomcast episode, but I'm not here to talk about the AIM-54 Phoenix. I had one specific thing come to my attention when watching the video and it was a short question from Bio to Wahoo about whether or not the AWG-9 had a TTI counter yet. This question came when Wahoo was talking about an AIM-7F shoot against a TALOS cruise missile in 1979. Wahoo said they did not have TTIs just yet(or that he was unsure), but BIO did. The question is asked at at almost 51:00 exactly (video linked starts at 50:48).

So, I'm wondering if we can get, or ever will get, a TTI counter for the AIM-7 Sparrow. I know the AIM-54 already has one, but I don't see as to why the Sparrow wouldn't have one given that the Phoenix still gets one when fired in semi-active. I know it's a bit of anecdotal evidence, but I don't really have a better source other than two legitimate F-14 RIOs talking about it.

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue

13 minutes ago, BreaKKer said:

Also, TALOS missile detected at 120nm

And AIM-7F kill with a 50k ft altitude difference at 45 miles lol. Wish the Sparrow was that good

Edited by Prez

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue

4 hours ago, Prez said:

And AIM-7F kill with a 50k ft altitude difference at 45 miles lol. Wish the Sparrow was that good

High closure rate, but I doubt that you can replicate a 45 miles AIM-7F shot in DCS.

Very interesting since there is a former RIO (I think) on the forums claiming that the AIM-7M is underperforming in DCS.

Edited by Schmidtfire

I'd agree that most of the first hand accounts of head-on Sparrow shots I've read lead me to believe that they are somewhat underperforming in terms of range.  They might just be a bit better in terms of seeker performance in DCS than they are in reality though.  I'd assume it will be looked at by ED at some point.

7 hours ago, Prez said:

Not only that, he also said that it was rapidly closing to Rmin distance for the shot. Just what the hell would have been Rmax distance for that shot? 

On 10/17/2021 at 5:28 AM, Golo said:

Not only that, he also said that it was rapidly closing to Rmin distance for the shot. Just what the hell would have been Rmax distance for that shot? 

probably right above Rmin?

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

On 10/17/2021 at 2:05 AM, Schmidtfire said:

High closure rate, but I doubt that you can replicate a 45 miles AIM-7F shot in DCS.

Very interesting since there is a former RIO (I think) on the forums claiming that the AIM-7M is underperforming in DCS.

I know who you are talking about, and I don't think he was. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).