f-18 is very ugly

odrin

it looks uglier than the a-10. why is it do you think? imo it's because of the slanted vertical stabilizers,the skinniness of the fuselage, it looks like an f-16 with the tail split into two. here's my edit that improved the f-18's looks:

MFel9Vv.jpg

imo it still looks like the diseased step brother of the su-27, but it looks better

Edited by odrin
  • Like 1

Meh...yours is far worse...I think the Bug looks very cool.  Never liked the look of the Viper with the low slung air scoop, looks stupid.  The Hawg?  Fugly, slow, no energy, no radar.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Is this a shallow thread or what? 😝

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The DCS F/A-18 is a huge chunk of awesomeness and I challenge anyone that says otherwise to a duel.

• Like 1

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

The DCS F/A-18 is a huge chunk of awesomeness and I challenge anyone that says otherwise to a duel.
Couldnt agree more. Hornet is one of sexiest planes ever exist.
The OP should see again the X-32 lol.
  • Like 4

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

17 hours ago, Crptalk said:

lmao op really took smudge tool to a f18 and made it fatter then called it better looking

Some people are into that. They're usually called 'furries.'

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Blasphemy! 
Had someone told me the Vipers were ugly, especially with those conformal thingies for extra fuel bolted on them, i'd give them a cookie! Or beer and pretzels! Whatever they preferred...... But Bugs? Man, i find Bugs to the vie for the 2nd place with Flankers for the most pretty 4th gen fighter ever built! 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On a serious note, the Hornet has big X-wing energy. Not "traditionally" beautiful but there is beauty in the rugged industrial look of the thing that makes me weak at the knees.

Edited by EnvyC
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I completely disagree with OP and the legacy hornet is pure perfection.

Nonetheless, I don't like the super hornet because of the canted pylons... that design feature looks ugly and adds a lot of drag. I can't understand why they couldn't come with a better solution.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jacobs said:

I completely disagree with OP and the legacy hornet is pure perfection.

Nonetheless, I don't like the super hornet because of the canted pylons... that design feature looks ugly and adds a lot of drag. I can't understand why they couldn't come with a better solution.

I vaguely remember having a discussion with a Boeing rep at Farnborough years ago about this seemingly weird design choice, if my memory isn’t pulling a fast one on me (age!)- it’s something to do with weapon separation tests in the early ‘90’s. The redesigned fuselage causes slightly strange adverse airflow effects at certain speeds and loadings that can cause a released gravity weapon to be pulled IN toward the fuselage barrel. The outermost pylons are kinked out 3 degrees, the next inner two kinked out by 4. It’s a cheaper alternative to a large redesign on what was (then) something already over budget.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this just click bait???

....and why is the OP's pic distorted?

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

2 hours ago, MustangSally said:

Is this just click bait???

....and why is the OP's pic distorted?

It’s his “improvement” of the -18, says “it looks better” !?!!?.

I just can’t . . . . 🥴

• Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.