Mission cards

mudfysh

I'm trying to make sense of the mission cards, but I don't really understand everything I'm looking at. Is there a resource I can go to study and get more out of these? It looks like you put a lot of work into them. Example, the flight plan with a note of GN (90) 354/23. 

That is the Gelendhzik VOR/RSBN, and the numbers are heading and distance. So when you are tuned to the said RSBN and you fly from your waypoint on the heading of xxx at the xx distance from the VOR you will be at the next waypoint. Navigating the Mig-21 is a bit more complicated, but, you know, there's no harm in dropping a carrot on your kneeboard and adjust to your course.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mudfysh said:

Thank you so much. I figured it was navigation, but couldn't for the life of me find what it meant. I've been trying real hard not to use the kneeboard carrot. Thanks again for this campaign.

In reality you would have someone to give you a position check, you would know the area of operations by heart, or you would be able to use the NAVAIDS to navigate without any problems. But all those are hard to do in DCS. I would rather drop a carrot than waste 30 minutes being lost. I got lost flying for real and it's not fun. When you have to go 017 and you look at 170 at your compass things don't go too well. 😄 They  go pretty much in the opposite direction 😄

Now, with the introduction of the drawing tools and all the other neat features in the ME. All my campaigns will have another iteration. I may drop some pointers when someone goes off-course and have the player the ability to start them at the beginning of each mission. 

It is challenging especially when you have drift. I was running some tests yesterday, and I think i can get somewhere with it. But it's a pain, the MIG wants to kill you all the time. If you have to do trigonometry while staying alive it gets quite ......interesting.