Cold Yak runup oil temp issues

Bagpipe
Go to solution Solved by gulredrel,

@NineLine

{original post was retracted. I primed engine lines in "reverse" order. Will try again...}

EDIT: Ok, this time I have done everything correctly, as far as I can tell, but the oil temp still rises way beyond the expected and correct level. Even with outside air temp at 1c and cowl flaps both wide open. First time round I primed the lines 8-12 times instead of the cylinders and left the carb heat on too long but even without those errors the oil temp still rises too high during procedural checks.

Can you advise if I am doing something wrong or if this is a bug with the oil system in the Yak?

Secondly, the manual and older forum posts seem to indicate that there should be a function to spin the prop to prime the engine before starting but I cannot see any option in the comms menu or a specific keybind for this function. Am I missing something in that regard?

Thanks

Cold Yak runup.rar

Edited by Bagpipe
  • Thanks 1

I am unsure of what is going on but I can try to help out. or at least I can ask some questions and see if something gets worked out.

When you are doing your procedural checks, how long is it taking approximately? When I have done a cold start in winter with the yak, I find the oil temp takes forever to get up to temperature even with the oil cowl flap closed. I spend most of my start up sitting on the runway waiting for the temperatures to get high enough.

Does the yak's oil temperature do this to you consistently every time you try to do a cold start?

I know the yak definitely has its quirks and issues. Hopefully somebody will come along with more info that can help you figure this out.

With regards to the spinning the prop to prime, I think in chuck's guide for the yak it mentions that it is not modelled in DCS. I took a quick look in the controls and the radio commands and couldn't find anything either so I am guessing that it isn't modelled.

• Like 1

Sure I can take a look at your track replay if you want and see. I will warn you, I am hardly an expert. I do however fly the yak quite frequently (for a relatively new pilot).

I have noticed that once the engine has been running for a while on the ground that the temperatures can get quite high and are somewhat tricky to keep down. For example, after I land and shut down. When I start up again the temperatures go higher quite quickly to the point that I feel I may over heat if I sit too long.

11 часов назад, MisterMac сказал:

Sure I can take a look at your track replay if you want and see. I will warn you, I am hardly an expert. I do however fly the yak quite frequently (for a relatively new pilot).

I have noticed that once the engine has been running for a while on the ground that the temperatures can get quite high and are somewhat tricky to keep down. For example, after I land and shut down. When I start up again the temperatures go higher quite quickly to the point that I feel I may over heat if I sit too long.

In real life you need to wait about 1,5-3 minutes until it’s 40

Yes, that is about right. The issue here is not the time to get to 40, the issue is the fact that the checklist tests should not raise the temperature beyond 75 but the temp rises to 150+ regardless of what you do, tests or no tests. It cannot be correct

11 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

Yes, that is about right. The issue here is not the time to get to 40, the issue is the fact that the checklist tests should not raise the temperature beyond 75 but the temp rises to 150+ regardless of what you do, tests or no tests. It cannot be correct

I believe this is a known issue. Flying at cruise MP/RPM with the oil coolers and shutters wide open on a 23C day and the oil temp needle will go to max. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I believe this is a known issue. Flying at cruise MP/RPM with the oil coolers and shutters wide open on a 23C day and the oil temp needle will go to max. 

Yeah it really isn't good enough especially not when you look at the P-47 and the Mossie already having more accurate system simulations than this module which has been around for far longer. In this respect, the carb heater is pointless and the fact you can control the cowl flaps may as well not even be implemented for the amount of good/accuracy they offer. As per my startup track and the one I removed before hand proving that it also does not matter how you prime the lines and cylinders because you will get a successful start and an overheating engine regardless of operation or ambient temperature. In essence what we have here is something akin to a "default" 172 in any civil sim when we have been sold "payware quality"...

What is the point in reading the manual, following the checklists or anything else when none of it is going to make a blind bit of difference?

@Eagle Dynamicsisn't it about time you at least weighed in here with a definitive timeline and roadmap for this module to leave early access? Why is it even being allowed to fester for this long? The DCS community are very forgiving, in general, when they are offered reasonable and just explanations. Unfortunately, the whole "it doesn't sell very well so we can't afford the resources" isn't going to cut it in this instance as it has gone on for far, far too long already. I REALLY do not enjoy complaining about your products and I rarely do but this one really sticks in my throat, worse than the Anton, because it is so non complex in comparison to the others. What gives?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

They weighed in a year ago

Since then, every Tom', Rick', and Harry- Keep holding their words to ransom, and using those words against them. So theyve reached a point where they cant say anything else, otherwise someone else, will use those very words to ransom too.

I know you seem to be unhappy with the fact that this module is still in EA. But you got it discounted, which is a plus. So enjoy it.
Many dont have it and when its finished the price will go up, as the mods have mentioned it is discounted as it is now.

If you genuinely arent happy, you can speak to support, a freind of mine was able to get a refund as he wasnt happy either..
Just come back to it, and buy it when its finished.

Otherwise, be happy that you get to fly it, because its in EA.
There really is no point in getting upset. Its only a game.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might be a lost opportunity in the sense that we would like to see more done to fix this module and bring it out of early access, but in terms of what was stated as being worked on and included in the last patch, it was done.

DCS: Yak-52 by Eagle Dynamics

• Improved air-flow calculations from the propeller that makes easier lifting nose gear during take-off
  • Improved flight dynamics for more realistic inverted aerobatic maneuvers
  • Encyclopedia entry is added

There is obviously still a lot of work left to do on the Yak-52...

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...