Elbrus rescue

NoxAstrum

Whoever designed this mission is a major jerk. You have to be perfect to complete it successfully. You need to add more time. I have flown this mission about 35 times now, and can never get back to the FARP fast enough. I've gotten it down to being about twenty seconds out, but can't get there in time. I do a hot start, take off IMMEDIATELY, I'm right on the edge of the EGT limit getting up there, and I'm exceeding 110 kts the whole way down, fighting RBS all the while. Please change this mission so that it's not limited to only perfect pilots. I'm still learning and this is extremely frustrating. I can't wait for MSFS to come out with helicopters so I can stop playing this crap. It's especially bad because when I fail, I have to do the whole bloody mission over again, how do you not have the ability to save  mid-flight? Tracks are worthless because you can't finish the mission. Apparently there are engine limitations that prevent this. Why did you develop an engine for a sim that has multi-hour missions and not make sure there's a save feature. I regret all the money I've spent on your garbage.

Deep breaths...

Breath...

You sound just like me back in the day. when flying the huey used to make me incandescent with rage 🙂

Instead of rage quitting that anger motivated me to beat the huey.

So I went back to the basics.

Completely gave up doing missions and actually learned to fly her in systematic way. startup, hover, hover taxi, takeoff and landing. And practised these a lot.

Break it down into steps and learn the steps. This way you see progress and see that you are winning. It builds confidence.

And the confidence turns that incandescent rage into a big goofy smile as it all comes together.

you also don't waste time. you can waste a lot of time with a poor learning strategy.

Mount Elbrus is supposed to be a tough mission. you are flying at the limits of power, weight, altitude and speed. 

The retreating blade stall speed is around 140mph so you can fly back at 130mph. And make it with time to spare if you also have good navigation.

• Like 5

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

@Quadg

Good advice there.

I don't do missions and I'm crap at helicopters, but I did this one and loved every minute of it.

I made separate missions in the mountains to get the hang of the Huey, especially high speed landings and descents and after many failed nerve racking attempts at the Elbrus, I finally made it.

Very satisfying indeed!

I did it several times afterwards with the Huey and finally with the Mi 8.

You've just got to put the effort in.

• Like 2

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

• 6 months later...

Yeah, this is a sim... after several failures and running out of time, I managed to crack it.  You gotta do it right though.  The main thing is navigation; you don't have much time to faff around before the clock beats you!  Great mission ^  Hopefully, one day they will redo the graphics and sort the bugs...

Elbrus is a very challenging mission and definitely not suitable for those who are just familiar with the Huey. However a tip for all newbies : every day do training with the Huey and download this mission, not made by me, which can help you a lot. Batumy Dispatch you can find it on page three in the single player missions. The author is " physke.

• 7 months later...
On 10/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, NoxAstrum said:

I have flown this mission about 35 times now, and can never get back to the FARP fast enough. I've gotten it down to being about twenty seconds out, but can't get there in time.

Since when is there a time limit?

I've done this mission a lot of times and also failed a lot of times due to various reasons, some being changed physics up to a point where it was more or less impossible to get up to the top. But I don't recall ever running out of time. :huh:

Edited by Berniyh

11 hours ago, Berniyh said:

Since when is there a time limit?

Time limit has always been there as far as i know, when I edited the missions sometime back, I adjusted that time limit to give a bit longer as I found it to harsh, it is only for the return trip down the mountain so the casuality doesn't die.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• 6 months later...

The mission is stupid easy now.  Not worth the bother, actually.  It used to require power management, but now you can just yoink pitch and fly to the top of the mountain without climbing turns.  Then, you can easily take off from the mountain top without beeping the governor to maximum.  Never mind that there's no longer any clouds to consider.  Yes it's easy, now.  It wasn't when it was launched and the flight model and the weather system were challenging.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just did this mission for the first time. I am still running the old engine model though so getting off the top takes a bit of finesse but managed it all the first time. There is a nice valley you can take down and I was running NVG's for the last part of the final run. I loved this mission. That said, my FM homing wasn't working. Did anyone else have this issue?

I get the initial posters frustration. If you aren't proficient in the Huey I could see it being next to imposible. If you are proficient then its great.

Edited by Jantar
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just flew this mission again 2 weeks ago and the FM Homing works. But you have to get closer to the survivors before the needle works. 

If you fly the Huey by the numbers, it is quite doable even with the old FM. For the climb 60kts speed will net you around +2000ft on the VSI without pulling the engine needles into the red zone.