Question for Spring-Less Pedal Users: Use Yaw AP or Don't use Yaw AP?

Lurker

Limit is controled by SPUU52, which is switch on top of AP panel. Yaw damper is switch on top left of the instrument panel, under red cover. It's purpose is to physicaly limit how fast you can move pedals, so you don't overstress tailboom. Mi24 is limited to yaw rate of 18°/sec.
Right! Thanks!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I have a jvoy profile that turns off yaw AP within 9% of center, that means that no matter what I’m doing it never counters my inputs by trying to give alot of input to maintain heading like turning in a situation that needs little pedal.

I have it activated by a thrust master throttle switch so I can still use heading hold as needed. This gets the awkward simulation of the pedal micro switches that doesn’t allow to have the heading hold off in all positions but automatically activates heading hold within 9% of center no matter what(unlike reality where when feet are on pedals heading hold is disabled and you only have stabilization).

if anyone wants the vjoy profile let me know 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 10/21/2021 at 11:03 AM, AeriaGloria said:

I have a jvoy profile that turns off yaw AP within 9% of center, that means that no matter what I’m doing it never counters my inputs by trying to give alot of input to maintain heading like turning in a situation that needs little pedal.

I have it activated by a thrust master throttle switch so I can still use heading hold as needed. This gets the awkward simulation of the pedal micro switches that doesn’t allow to have the heading hold off in all positions but automatically activates heading hold within 9% of center no matter what(unlike reality where when feet are on pedals heading hold is disabled and you only have stabilization).

if anyone wants the vjoy profile let me know 

Which is kind of equivalent to a 9% dead zone, as the game will deactivate yaw AP as soon as the rudder is off center

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

On 10/24/2021 at 2:53 AM, Whisper said:

Which is kind of equivalent to a 9% dead zone, as the game will deactivate yaw AP as soon as the rudder is off center

It only deactivates heading hold mode. Stabilization from yaw AP is available no matter how deflected the pedals are 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

The Grim Reapers tutorial video says the Hind flies best with autopilot assist in all four modes. The yaw assist always on is very useful to keep it stable, but the altitude autopilot mode on the right button is only necessary hoovering and doing some weapon training.

10 hours ago, JetCat said:

The Grim Reapers tutorial video says the Hind flies best with autopilot assist in all four modes. The yaw assist always on is very useful to keep it stable, but the altitude autopilot mode on the right button is only necessary hoovering and doing some weapon training.

Don’t always trust the grim reapers. 

yaw autopilot can be a big hindrance if you don’t understand that it will resist your turns unless you give a lot of pedal, which means that for smaller turns or left turns that often require more centered pedal you will be far over coordinating your turns, with the ball way on the outside of the turn. Unless you use a vjoy mod to get rid of it or have no problem with turning in a constant side slip, it’s probably best to have it off.

Plus GR probably said that back when the altitude channel never turned off, it does now which is accurate, so impossible to turn it on and expect it to stay on. 

In addition pitch AP can be disruptive. It causes oscillations at certain speeds 150-170kmh, and can make precise aiming difficult. I know many people that turn it off for shooting.

What I do is turn it off and then turn it back on when I’m in a normal attitude for attacks, high speed 10 degrees nose down. That way it’s not constantly trying to get me to 3.5 degrees nose up, which is what it tries to do when turned on on the ground 

Yaw autopilot is very cool at hover and landing. Also good for long range straight flight with altitude autopilot. Otherwise ofc don't use it it's a hindrance in other cases. 

I have spring pedals with rudder trim. 

Roll pitch autopilot are used at all times. No reason to not use those because they increase accuracy. 

Edited by Sobakopes

On 10/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, Rongor said:

Only today I noticed that in Chuck's guide for the Hind Chuck claims that using the (force) trim button on the cyclic affects rudder trim as well in the real Hind. So the Hind seems to be the first DCS helo module actually "allowing" rudder trimmer tickled in the special options, while rudder trimmer remains unrealistic in all the other DCS helos so far.

By using the rudder trimmer function in the Hind, the whole issue changes somewhat, you may want to give it a try...

I noticed this yesterday in the manual. I haven't had the rudder trim option selected yet. I was going to try this as it is apparently more realistic? May start to make more sense of the yaw AP switch if the pedals are actually trimmed. I'm sure the dampener switch is only for hover or taxi.

3 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

I noticed this yesterday in the manual. I haven't had the rudder trim option selected yet. I was going to try this as it is apparently more realistic? May start to make more sense of the yaw AP switch if the pedals are actually trimmed. I'm sure the dampener switch is only for hover or taxi.

Well so far I am experiencing good results with rudder trim on in the Mi-24 and in the Ka-50. Of course you have to get used to it, so that you do the necessary control inputs without thinking about it.

Edited by Rongor
I like editing stuff