Different lighting when hitting fly again

scampaboy

Hi

Its something of nothing but I noticed last night when using fly again to re enter a mission the lighting is different almost as though the time stayed the same after you ejected/crashed/spilt tea on your lap. 
I will try and make a video but I don’t have any screen capture software available, it would have to be via telephone camera. 
So I start a mission at 6am it’s dark and the sun is just sparking over the horizon fly for 40 mins crash and hit escape by this time it’s light and all street lights have turned off. I use the option to fly again and the time stays the same when the mission reloads. It’s not game breaking by any means just means a restart of the mission from editor etc. is it normal behaviour ? Is this why we are seeing high ram usage because the textures from the previous flight are still there ? 
Or is it something like what my mum would say “ well don’t crash then!!!” 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:41 AM, Flappie said:

Both in SP and MP?

Sp only for me it’s one of those hard to reproduce when you need to jobs, because it’s split over two mission starts a track isn’t possible and unless I record every mission start with my phone it would be hard to catch. 

good one to witness this is f16 mission Dawn Raiders Persian gulf.  When i was testing cloud presets the stock settings for that mission lighting is completely different than when you do a preset,  even one with very very low cloud cover.  posted pics on discord

Crom

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I've been experiencing this for a while, most recent time was about a week ago. For everyone else it was a full moon with reasonably bright ground. For me, the moon was invisible, the ground was very dark, but the Persian Gulf was reflecting so much light that the water was physically painful to look at and objects like buildings, helicopters, my own cockpit, etc. were very bright. Example (screenshot from Tats who experienced the same issue on the same mission) -

20211023193508_1.jpg

I have also experienced this in the past, going back maybe a year or more. It is extremely rare and virtually impossible to reproduce intentionally, and it can usually be fixed by reconnecting to the server, let alone restarting the game. I don't recall if I've experienced it in SP but that is probably because I do not play SP very much. I am nearly 100% sure the issue is connected to time of day and specifically the way the game handles the handoff between "night" and "day" states - every time this bug has happened, it's been within 30 mins of sunrise/sunset. The issue is extra annoying, because sometimes the "day" cockpit lighting behavior is active and so your instruments are nearly completely invisible in the darkness.

For another example, here's my view in a mission earlier in the year - here's a video from when I streamed it (timestamped to mission start) and then some screenshots to compare it against -

These screenshots were taken from the trackfile, where the lighting functioned as intended. This is also what the other players in that mission saw.

image.png

image.png

image.png

As you can see, the ambient lighting level is substantially different, and heavily impacted my ability to play the mission. I could only see my HUD, not even my instruments.

The only way I can think to reproduce this issue is to just load up a mission set around dawn/dusk and restart it until the issue occurs, but I have no idea how many attempts that will take. It may also be connected to a very subtle, but noticeable, 'flicker' between two slightly different colour temperatures during certain lighting conditions - I don't know how to describe it, but every few seconds the game scene will tint slightly green, then back to blue, and repeat constantly. Something to do with GI?

I recognize the sea made of light and the black sky. I believe this bug was happening more often when the initial 2.7 came out. I had it a few times, but I thought it was extinct.

It was brought back to mymemory not so long ago in another thread. Since it is rare, it will be a tough one to fix. But maybe there's a trace in the dcs.log file. If it happens again to any of you, please immediately attach your dcs.log file so devs can look at it.

To others: is that the bug you are all talking about? I thought it was seomething else.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:33 PM, Flappie said:

I recognize the sea made of light and the black sky. I believe this bug was happening more often when the initial 2.7 came out. I had it a few times, but I thought it was extinct.

It was brought back to mymemory not so long ago in another thread. Since it is rare, it will be a tough one to fix. But maybe there's a trace in the dcs.log file. If it happens again to any of you, please immediately attach your dcs.log file so devs can look at it.

To others: is that the bug you are all talking about? I thought it was seomething else.

If it happens again I’ll pull the dcs log. 

This bug happens IF:

1-. Start a mission with any cloud preset.

2-. Atart a second mission with NO CLOUDS. Then the bug happens!!! completely sea in fire!

You MUST do point 1 and 2. If you start for the first time some mission with NO CLOUDS, there is no graphical corruction.

Edited by Gryzor

1 hour ago, Gryzor said:

This bug happens IF:

1-. Start a mission with any cloud preset.

2-. Atart a second mission with NO CLOUDS. Then the bug happens!!! completely sea in fire!

You MUST do point 1 and 2. If you start for the first time some mission with NO CLOUDS, there is no graphical corruction.

I tried but I'm unable to replicate the issue in current OB. I first loaded "Scattered7_preset" then "No_clouds" (see attached miz). Can you reproduce the issue with my miz files? If not, please attach yours.

Scattered 7:

scattered7.jpg

Then no clouds:

noclouds.jpg

No_clouds.miz Scattered7_preset.miz

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

44 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Can you please attach two missions which trigger this bug when we play them one after the other? I'm unable to reproduce the bug so far.

have you tried the two missions i mention in the link above? works for me every time

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Can you please attach two missions which trigger this bug when we play them one after the other? I'm unable to reproduce the bug so far.

I can reproduce it repeatedly as well by starting Supercarrier Case 1 Recovery Persian Gulf single player mission.  And then starting Case 3 Recovery Persian Gulf.  Doesn't happen on Caucasus.

Starting PG Case1 and then Starting PG Case3

Screen_211101_193357.jpg

Starting PG Case3 straight from restart.

Screen_211101_193547.jpg

Below are the DCS log files when the bug happens (dcs_Bug.log) and when the bug doesn't happen (dcs_NoBug.log)

dcs_Bug.log

dcs_NoBug.log

All mods were uninstalled during this test.  Mission files are all default files that came with the game.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Thanks 1

Testing further, it seems like it has to be combination of starting day first PLUS clouds.  I was investigating why it would happen on PG and not on Caucasus Case3.  Difference was PG Case3 had no clouds and Caucasus Case3 had clouds.

So I put clouds in PG Case3 and the problem didn't happen.  Then I removed clouds from Caucasus Case3 and problem did occur.

But in both cases, they had correct lighting even without clouds if I didn't start day mission first.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Flappie said:

I tried but I'm unable to replicate the issue in current OB. I first loaded "Scattered7_preset" then "No_clouds" (see attached miz). Can you reproduce the issue with my miz files? If not, please attach yours.

Scattered 7:

scattered7.jpg

Then no clouds:

noclouds.jpg

No_clouds.miz 26.14 kB · 0 downloads Scattered7_preset.miz 26.16 kB · 1 download

Always happens if starting a night mission after a daytime mission. If I start those missions uploaded by you, NIGHT after NIGHT, everything is fine.