Maverick space stabilization not working correctly?

Basilone

By default the maverick feels to easy to aim.  Holding DMS fwd doesn't seem to do anything and when I let go of DMS it loses stability.  It seems like it is being stabilized by default instead of by HOTAS command and then reverts to normal behavior for a few seconds after you release DMS fwd.  Have tested this today on Syria and Caucasus, solo and multiplayer, with both IR and TV mavs and same result.  This was in standalone open beta.

Edited by Basilone

11 hours ago, Foka said:

Space stabilisation was never implemented. It was just on Wags' film on YT.

You sure about that?  It's HOTAS functionality is noted in the manual and even though the key doesn't do anything from what I can tell, you can notice a loss of stabilization when you release it.

They also updated HOTAS table much sooner than they implemented new CMS funcktions.

They thought, they'll implement this.
They updated manual.
Something went wrong and they didn't.

It never worked, I've never saw that in patch notes.

Space stabilisation worked already - at least shortly after implementation. I'm unable to test it now, but I've tested it earlier and it worked as shown in Wags tutorial:

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

On 10/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, Foka said:

Space stabilisation was never implemented.

That's wrong. Space stabilisation works - at least in the current OB.

Select any MAV and make sure that the MAV page is your SOI. MAV should be in boresight. Move the hog nose around, the MAV HUD indicator stays centered. Then press & hold down DMS fwd to stabilize the MAV seeker. Moving the plane now doesn't move the MAV seeker, because he's stabilized. Uncage the MAV seeker to try again, if the MAV got a valid lock.

13 hours ago, Foka said:

It never worked, I've never saw that in patch notes.

Not every single new implemented feature has been announced in the patch notes.

A-10C-II-SpaceStabilisationTest.trk

• Like 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

Guys, what is the difference between TMS Aft Short = Ground stabilize and DMS FWD Long = Gyro stabilized? (is it another name for Space stabilized anyways?)

Trying to guess, ground stabilize stops the seeker head at one point on the ground, but gyro stabilized is doing what?

Edited by Razor18
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:45 AM, Razor18 said:

what is the difference between TMS Aft Short = Ground stabilize and DMS FWD Long = Gyro stabilized? (is it another name for Space stabilized anyways?)

That would interest me too.

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

On 10/25/2021 at 3:45 AM, Razor18 said:

Guys, what is the difference between TMS Aft Short = Ground stabilize and DMS FWD Long = Gyro stabilized? (is it another name for Space stabilized anyways?)

Trying to guess, ground stabilize stops the seeker head at one point on the ground, but gyro stabilized is doing what?

I haven't tried recently but Aft short, stabilization breaks the moment you move the cursor.

4 hours ago, Razor18 said:

Then the next question is what's the use of it anyways? 😊

If anything it looks like the bug is that it looks like the maverick was already space stabilized before holding DMS forward. The behavior after you released it looks normal because it's no longer space stabilized and the missiles not finding anything to lock onto or trying to lock onto the wrong thing.

Its purpose is essentially to make it easier on you to slew the seeker onto the target. When you hold space stabilize the maverick seeker head will stabilize on the scene in front of you and not try to lock onto things, or drift around as the aircraft moves. To get the seeker to lock you have to slew onto the target and let go of the DMS switch. If it starts wandering like you had in the video hold DMS forward again and slew the cursor back to the target and try again.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=A-10+AGM-65&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dA-10%20AGM-65%26qs%3dn%26form%3dQBVR%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3da-10%20agm-65%26sc%3d1-11%26sk%3d%26cvid%3d7201233DA38D4116838D2F0F459FF39A&view=detail&mid=1FF10FD3764693BF97471FF10FD3764693BF9747&&FORM=VDRVRV

Here's a cool video I found on youtube of an AGM-65G locking onto something. You can see around 25 seconds it looks like he comes out of space stabilize and it wonders around before he restabilizes and drags it back onto the target and gets a lock.

9 minutes ago, ASAP said:

Its purpose is essentially to make it easier on you to slew the seeker onto the target. When you hold space stabilize the maverick seeker head will stabilize on the scene in front of you and not try to lock onto things, or drift around as the aircraft moves. To get the seeker to lock you have to slew onto the target and let go of the DMS switch. If it starts wandering like you had in the video hold DMS forward again and slew the cursor back to the target and try again.

I'm pretty sure he was asking about the purpose of TMS Aft short.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:45 AM, Razor18 said:

8 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

The difference is that ground stabilization is using some kind of pixel magic and the camera focuses on a specific point on the ground visually while space stabilization keeps them stabilized inertially to a point in space that the system calculated. Ground stab is never used by real Hog pilots. Picture the following: the target is masked behind a large mountain. Ground stab would focus on the mountain itself that is blocking the target, space stab focuses on the actual position of the target in space, so esentially it keeps the seeker at the correct point. Kind of like the INR mode of targeting pods.

3 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Haha, well I feel silly. Who knows, ground stabilization is so frustrating I personally find it pretty useless. Which is probably the point he was making. 

I observed the behavior that OP listed . . . thought it was just me doing something wrong (quite possible), will test and confirm.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, Stuka said:

tested: all good

I know its been a while but are you sure about that, we could have been on different builds at the time.  Just hopped back in A-10 after many months not flying and its still working same as in the video.  Very stable by default, holding DMS fwd doesn't do anything, mav starts to drift on release (and restabilizes itself about a second later).

I just tried it on the openbeta: engage dms fwd, slew over target, release dms => target locked

Looking good to me.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Doesn't work for me. Maverick seeker still moves all around with aircraft movement and holding or releasing DMS Forward does nothing.

Tested again, space stabilization works as shown in Wags' tutorial. Make sure the Maverick Seeker is boresighted. Press and hold DMS forward as soon as the Wagon Wheel Symbol is near target area. While holding DMS forward slew the Maverick Seeker; release DMS forward to lock on a target.

20230206 A-10C-II HUDMaverickWagonWheel.JPG

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[OS] Windows 11 Pro