Tips for taking off with the Mosquito?

MisterMac

6 hours ago, nick10 said:

I’m sorry I simply do not believe it was this hard for a 21 year old kid to kid this bird off the ground. 

I think it is currently borked 

Whilst hardly definitive I was given the Haynes manual for the Mossie this Christmas it says of "Take Off":

There were two potential problems on take off, and a pilot could see them before he climbed aboard: ground loop.  Two big engines acting like giant gyros, combined with a spindly rear end supporting a small fin and rudder, caught many crew during the war, with the aircraft executing an unintentional 180 turn on the runway and left stranded ignominiously with the undercarriage ripped off and sometimes its back broken. The Throttles were very sensitive and had a short travel, and such mishaps were usually caused by them being opened too suddenly, with the result that a vicious and uncontrollable swing to the left would occur.

The torque from the engines would give the Mosquito a tendency to pull to the left, and the broad advice was to counteract this by leading with the port throttle and then bringing up the starboard one - but exactly how much was down to practice, as over-correction could result in swinging the other way. This was not an aircraft for the heavy handed.

(emphasis mine), but the point is it was a bit of a bastard on the ground, much like the Spitfire, but with the added additional issues of a second engine providing torque... the book goes on to say that the rudder was barely effective in controlling the motion on takeoff and had to be countered with throttles and the importance of holding the tail back to avoid "incipient disaster" associated with wing swing. 

So i would say it sounds about right 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

People need to find a technique that suits them. Clearly the advice in this thread works well for some but didn’t do a thing for me. Watching 3-4 YouTube videos on takeoff they all say the same thing which is very different to this thread. Worked first time for me and consistently too.

No trim other than rudder set.

Brakes on, power to 18 bar, release brakes and take off at 120mph.

Edited by Brazo

^ While aileron trim is not needed for takeoff, two divisions to the right is good for cruise so one might as well crank it on the ground already - one less thing to fiddle with when Mossie is still wobbly after liftoff.

As for the smoke, forget it. It's a glitch, where Mossie likes to emit steam and smoke during runups or takeoffs even if all engine temps and pressures are in green. Still hasn't been fixed in 2.7.9 by the way.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

13 hours ago, nick10 said:

Finally got her off the ground in the prison break mission only to collide with a mustang 15 mins out from target!

curious what the team that made the mossie plan on building next 

Yes I’m surprised there was no teaser for a new ED WW2 module in the 2022 trailer.

Although the AH-64 seems to be a massive undertaking, maybe it’s eating its young for 2022…

I took on board what others have said.  I just could not get off the ground without skidding sideways everywhere.  The trick as someone advised is setting boost against brakes.

So I trim nose down 1.5 graduations.  Rudder right trim to about the T in trim.  Aileron trim stbd  to the M in trim.  Start engines, taxi to the runway.

Apply the brake and put the flaps down 10 degrees.  Increase power to +4 boost against the brakes, check prop pitch is full fine, stick full back.    Brakes off and slowly increase power to +8 boost over a couple of seconds.  Let go of stick.  By this time the rudder is becoming effective and the mossie lifts itself off with very minimal use of stick at around 120 mph.  Just a slight hint of backpressure to drop the tail a little.  Once off, there is virtually no ballooning at all. 

Using the correct technique I would say it's easier to takeoff than the hog.  You don't need pull back on the stick at all, just a gentle nudge.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

• 1 month later...

I went though this whole thread, did at least 60 attempts, finally started getting the hang of it. 1/3 I get off the ground.  Then finally a little better.  I think I got it.  Then realized Groom Lake NV is the toughest place for a warbird to take off from.  

Went to the channel, and have zero problems getting her off the ground at sea level. 

**Whew** I thought I would never get there. 

Edited by dlarsen

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, dlarsen said:

I went though this whole thread, did at least 60 attempts, finally started getting the hang of it. 1/3 I get off the ground.  Then finally a little better.  I think I got it.  Then realized Groom Lake NV is the toughest place for a warbird to take off from.  

Went to the channel, and have zero problems getting her off the ground at sea level. 

**Whew** I thought I would never get there. 

Well done for finally nailing this.....it's a great feeling when you get it right,many of us have been through you're pain my friend.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

9 hours ago, Basco1 said:

Well done for finally nailing this.....it's a great feeling when you get it right,many of us have been through you're pain my friend.

TY, TY.  I have since gone back to groom lake, and can take off there reliably too.  great feeling. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It took me some practice also and here is my technique for what I feel are smooth and safe T/O's.

Apply right rudder trim, placing the needle under the R.

1 or 2 notches of right aileron trim (depending on crosswind component).

Pitch trim down 2 notches.

15° Flap.

Line up on centre line.

Brakes on, propeller RPM lever fully forward, power up to 2500/3000 RPM, hold stick back.

Release brakes, stay on centre line initially by tapping the brakes.

Smoothly apply full throttle, rudder becomes active, stick to the neutral position.

Tailplane rises, be ready to counteract the yaw.

Pump the stick back in small movements to tease her off the ground.

If you still experince left aileron roll upon T/O, apply more right aileron trim and firm stick pressure to the right otherwise i find it will massively drift off track if allowed to.

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers

Edited by Breakaway
  • Thanks 1

I don't bother with any trim. The key for me is to be able to accurately and smoothly control the brakes. The updates to the digital brake to be more like the Spitfire are a big improvement but of course it still requires the tap tap approach to be between full on and full off.

After a few experiments with using the delta sim slew and an old CH stick as analog brakes I have settled on using a modifier for my WH Stick (TMS Up) to switch between using the forward and aft axis for brake and pitch. For brake I use a deadzone of 50 so that centred is brake off and back is brakes on, it is set as a slider and inverted. I also map the roll axis to a redundant camera control with the same modifier so I don't inadvertently apply roll whilst braking.

So my simple approach is:

No trim
Modifier TMS Up to taxi to runway (Joystick is now a brake)
Hold brakes, power up
Release brakes - adjust line as necessary with brake and rudder
Once up to speed to get rudder authority make sure stick is neutral and press TMS Up modifier
Stick now controls pitch and roll as normal.

There are adjustments to make with rudder and stick but they all seem pretty natural to keep it straight

Landing is the reverse, press TMS Up to make the stick the brake when it has settled on runway to keep it straight, slow it down and then taxi to parking.

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 1 year later...
Just now, Migparts said:

The DCS mosquito cannot get airborne. I only managed twice out of the fifty or so attempts. It’s impossible negative chances of getting it in the air. Won’t happen. 🤬

Can you tell me from which airfield are you trying to take off ?

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I found some short airfield take full fuel and i managed to take off. accelerating above 100mph is possible.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor