Cockpit Fire?

dresoccer4
Go to solution Solved by draconus,

I'm wondering if DCS models cockpit fires after being hit? In player or AI?

I know there's a new damage model with WW2 so was hoping if you got a lucky hit you'd see a fire break out in the enemy's cockpit and overwhelm the pilot. Or if it happens to you you'd have to use your technique to put it out before the smoke killed you. Fun mechanic! Is this in the sim at the momenr?

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

13 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

ok good to know. guess this can be a wishlist item then

I dunno, could you imagine the heart attack it would cause in VR when you suddenly have flames in your field of vision. Sure, it's realistic, especially for engine-front designs, but in anything else.... it doesn't? I'd rather in cases like that the pilot just 'die' instead.

4 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

I dunno, could you imagine the heart attack it would cause in VR when you suddenly have flames in your field of vision. Sure, it's realistic, especially for engine-front designs, but in anything else.... it doesn't? I'd rather in cases like that the pilot just 'die' instead.

the other sim has it. It's pretty unnerving in VR, but it doesn't last long since you want to gtfo real quick.

5 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

😉 is it any more unnerving than having your wings blown off and thrown into a full on death spiral into the side of a mountain? i say bring it on, its bar-b-que time 🥳🔥

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Maybe one day VS (virtual scent) will be added to VR.
You could smell burning electronics after taking damage or even Jester’s flatulence.
Totally off-topic, but I did see that in MWC Barcelona some years ago. It was a Korean (IIRC) startup, along with other that designed a device you were supposed to hold while playing vr that generated very hot and cold temperatures in a quick succesion so you felt actual pain when hurt in the game, without any actual physical damage to your body.

It was... Disturbing

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

On 10/19/2021 at 5:08 PM, dresoccer4 said:

I'm wondering if DCS models cockpit fires after being hit? In player or AI?

I know there's a new damage model with WW2 so was hoping if you got a lucky hit you'd see a fire break out in the enemy's cockpit and overwhelm the pilot. Or if it happens to you you'd have to use your technique to put it out before the smoke killed you. Fun mechanic! Is this in the sim at the momenr?

Neither are graphic wounds of crewmen, or do we want to see out co-pilots in helos have limbs ripped off as in DeadSpace games? Its not neccessary.

7 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Neither are graphic wounds of crewmen, or do we want to see out co-pilots in helos have limbs ripped off as in DeadSpace games? Its not neccessary.

We are simulating warfare.  Warfare is not nice, or pleasant.  I'm amazed people are squeamish about this stuff but will happily ripple CBU into built up areas.  Personally I think the distraction of a wounded co pilot or other crew member would add a sense of urgency and desperation and certainly reduce your combat effectiveness, which is exactly how it should be.  

Microprose are incorporating this very thing into their new B-17 simulator, as they know that managing crew 'damage' is just as important as airframe damage in ensuring a successful outcome to a mission.

At the very least, the damage model should extend to the cockpit and controls IMHO.

• Like 5

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

9 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

"it's not necessary" you must realize is a very subjective phrase. None of the current damage upgrades are "necessary" as the sim was running just fine. However if the aim of DCS is to be as real an air combat simulator as it can be then having cockpit damage, as well as pilot damage, is indeed necessary in the long run. 

• Like 2

OK, perhaps in WWII and Korea era aircraft. But Vietnam to modern, cockpits are fairly fireproof, but they can get smoke uped and fogged up. We can have that, that be nice. We already have cracked plexiglass.

I'd rather have proper mission end with pilot climbing out of cockpit or crew deplaning animation. With some ground crew visible actions.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:54 AM, dresoccer4 said:

"it's not necessary" you must realize is a very subjective phrase. None of the current damage upgrades are "necessary" as the sim was running just fine. However if the aim of DCS is to be as real an air combat simulator as it can be then having cockpit damage, as well as pilot damage, is indeed necessary in the long run. 

I did not serve in combat, nor did I deploy. My service was all in peacetime, training only. Combat casualty simulation is not really needed for DCS. Unless one is a combat medic, a triage nurse, or doctor, public perception of wound is driven by popular entertainment.  It is not realistic. Wounds are either overdone or understated, and they are not always apparent or felt immediately. If player desires a realistic simulation, other aspects would be more useful.  One of those us that you must be able to perform mission 24/7. Not just on a Sunday afternoon. You must be able to perform mission when you least want to. Work a full shift at your day job. Run errands, do chores. Tire yourself. Now don't turn in for night. Just get 2 hours of sleep, get up at your 0200 hours, and fly a three hour mission that begins at zero dark early engine start,  with over target around 0300 to 0400 hours. Return and shutdown. Thats will get you far more realism then bloody limbs. Sound FX in sim need to include tinnitus ringing in years . My former CO, called it 'fighting hurt.' Fighting , moving, shooting, communicating, when you are tired, exausted, and really just don't feel like doing it. I was Field Artillery officer with fire suppourt specialization. Coming back from NTC rotation after 2 weeks in field ex , we would get orders to stand by to deploy , while cleaning and PMCS of equipment. Or just after formation dismissal. As we were driving home to get some sleep. 

17 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I did not serve in combat, nor did I deploy. My service was all in peacetime, training only. Combat casualty simulation is not really needed for DCS. Unless one is a combat medic, a triage nurse, or doctor, public perception of wound is driven by popular entertainment.  It is not realistic. Wounds are either overdone or understated, and they are not always apparent or felt immediately. If player desires a realistic simulation, other aspects would be more useful.  One of those us that you must be able to perform mission 24/7. Not just on a Sunday afternoon. You must be able to perform mission when you least want to. Work a full shift at your day job. Run errands, do chores. Tire yourself. Now don't turn in for night. Just get 2 hours of sleep, get up at your 0200 hours, and fly a three hour mission that begins at zero dark early engine start,  with over target around 0300 to 0400 hours. Return and shutdown. Thats will get you far more realism then bloody limbs. Sound FX in sim need to include tinnitus ringing in years . My former CO, called it 'fighting hurt.' Fighting , moving, shooting, communicating, when you are tired, exausted, and really just don't feel like doing it. I was Field Artillery officer with fire suppourt specialization. Coming back from NTC rotation after 2 weeks in field ex , we would get orders to stand by to deploy , while cleaning and PMCS of equipment. Or just after formation dismissal. As we were driving home to get some sleep. 

Yeah, that's the thing many don't understand. Realism just sucks. During the Gulf War you had pilots who spent almost an entire day in the cockpits and had to be helped out by ground crew because they were so tired. Some would even be ordered to immediately take days of R&R, with some refusing and getting back in the pit the next morning. Let's also not forget that if your plane had a particularly hard landing on a carrier, your CO might confine you to quarters just to keep you away from the plane while you're spine has a chance to decompress and heal up (and to give the maintenance crews time to work on the aircraft. Real war sucks. And hopefully, it's something that only a handful of us will ever truly experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I have an update: it seems there is indeed some extra damage now that happens.

1) some sort of splatter on the windscreen obstructs view
2) engine catches on fire
3) pilot begins to breath heavily and laboriously for about a minute and then blacks our from injuries 
4) death

So while there's no fire or visible damage IN the cockpit, there are still quite a few other realistic damage effects taking place. So I definitely wouldn't see it out of the realm if ED adds in cockpit fire or damage in the future. However the way it is right now is intense! This is right after I got hit from a German Fast Boat that I was plinking on.

1-death.jpg

1-plink.jpg

1-bail.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 2:23 PM, Tank50us said:

I can't be the only one that noticed that that pilots flight suit seems a bit..... modern....

nice spot. not very ww2 looking