A10A - nothing in cockpit is clickable in A10A cockpit even though the A10C is flyable, the A10A is basically unusable.

InitiatedAunt74

4 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

Just get the C. You will get some negative training from FC3 A-10. That is one jet that I cannot imagine why it isn't a full fidelity module. 

Let me edit that. If you want the C model just get that. The A FC3 model doesn't model the Maverick missiles the same way the full fidelity C dose. Plus the HOTAS in the C model is kinda the core of the module, and the weapons are different. The biggest AT bomb you will use are the CBU-97. 

I don't agree with the negative training at all. I have a new found appreciation for the FC3 series of planes in terms of what it can help do to bring more people to DCS. And this is coming from someone that is here primarily to see the CA/WWIII ground scene develop. I don't even have a HOTAS, let alone rudder pedals. The recent Apache developments had me sort of thinking more about making the jump to a proper setup, but the A10A/F15C might be all it takes.  

I don't have the A10C yet, but I have watched a lot of YouTube content on it, and it is obvious that the level of detail modeled is much higher in the 10C than the 10A. So the amount of time it would take to get proficient at using all of the systems on the 10C I expect would be a lot more.

But don't forget, they are quite different from each other technologically speaking. So if you are building missions for the A10A, you need to consider the environment it was built for as you build the mission. The capabilities of the 10A and the missions it was intended for coincide with the threats it faced at that time.

But the thing I am quickly learning about the FC3 planes though is that most anyone should be able to jump in, and with the right amount of interest learn to fly it reasonably well in a relatively short period of time IMO. I am having no trouble flying the A10A with a keyboard. I can tell you first hand it took me a lot longer to learn any of the FF WWII birds than it has to learn the FC3 A10A.

I am not recommending anyone learn to fly DCS with just a keyboard. Of course if you want to get really competitive in either SP, or MP you will absolutely need flight controls. The F15 for example is a different story, and without a joystick it is no fun to try flying. I am pretty sure the issues I'm seeing would be solved by tuning the axis controls from a joystick input.

But for anyone new, or isn't quite sure whether the whole flight (learning) SIM concept is for them, I think the FC3 series of planes can answer a lot of questions for you. But there is a caveat to that. I am assuming that things like the PFM/weapons are modeled to the same degree as their FF counterparts. The difference between them should be the cockpit interactions and the technology that was actually available on the jet your flying. There should be very little difference in the actual flying part between the 10A and the 10C for example, and differences in things like weapons should be due to nothing more than the technological state of the weapon your using.

I don't have any MP experience to compare to, so I have to go with the assumption that a PFM for one of the FC3 planes means the same thing it does for a FF plane. But I would be interested to hear your views on this if it isn't.

But in terms of the HOTAS setup itself, my understanding is that if I go out and pick up the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, it will map completely with the A10A key-binds.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

I am assuming that things like the PFM/weapons are modeled to the same degree as their FF counterparts. The difference between them should be the cockpit interactions and the technology that was actually available on the jet your flying.

Even if weapons are the same the pilot could change some of their parameters and that's where simplified avionics come in. It won't allow you to have the same freedom. I mean which fuzes, types and other stuff for AG and maybe loft option setting for AA. Even the HUD modes or radar modes may lack or differ from RL which changes how your weapons are applied and their effect on target.

As for FM the modules in DCS may not be at the same standard. I mean even if both are PFM it may be different between 2013 module and 2022.

On a TMWH you would use all binds and still have a few hats left unbound for A-10A 😉

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 3/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, draconus said:

Even if weapons are the same the pilot could change some of their parameters and that's where simplified avionics come in. It won't allow you to have the same freedom. I mean which fuzes, types and other stuff for AG and maybe loft option setting for AA. Even the HUD modes or radar modes may lack or differ from RL which changes how your weapons are applied and their effect on target.

As for FM the modules in DCS may not be at the same standard. I mean even if both are PFM it may be different between 2013 module and 2022.

On a TMWH you would use all binds and still have a few hats left unbound for A-10A 😉

As I mentioned above, my discussion point is regarding the actual model, not changes a pilot can make in-game, or the type of weapons he/she has access to. The point was that it should support MP game play. There are obvious differences between the A10A and C, and that's the way it should be.

And I agree, it makes sense that a FM from 2013 would be different from newer iterations after it was updated, but again that's not really an answer to the question/issue. I am guessing that in 2013 the A10A was using an AFM, and some time after the A10C/II came about, the A10A had its FM updated to the PFM. So in terms of FM, both versions should be pretty close to each other, and if they aren't, the point is they should be IMO.    

• 4 weeks later...

Had it for a couple years and didn't really enjoy it because of that very thing. Tried the clickable cockpit mod and just that simple change has really shot up how enjoyable I find the A-10A. Might be something to look into if having the same experience.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

You might enjoy this mod as well...

I's the same one featured on the Grim Reapers video. I tried it but didn't find it too useful and the lack of animation for most controls is kind of annoying. I get better results by careful control mapping onto my HOTAS.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I's the same one featured on the Grim Reapers video. I tried it but didn't find it too useful and the lack of animation for most controls is kind of annoying. I get better results by careful control mapping onto my HOTAS.

Yeah my bad, I meant to say video. I think its the video from the team that made it. I thought the switches that were modeled to be clickable also had animations, no?

10 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

…I thought the switches that were modeled to be clickable also had animations, no?

Only the switches that were already animated. Depends on the aircraft and the switch. ED did some awhile back but not all.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

9 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Only the switches that were already animated. Depends on the aircraft and the switch. ED did some awhile back but not all.

Its more hit and miss than the "humour" on Saturday Night Live. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Full fidelity clickable analog A-10A would be great. For now it is only FC3 aircraft version, non clickable cockpit etc.

A-10A in european green camouflage from 1970s-1980s, flying at very low altitute, dodging AAA, attacking Soviet tanks rolling through the Fulda Gap, evaiding Soviet interceptors having trouble finding maneuvering target against the ground - that would be my scenario to go with this bird. Or destroying Saddam's armored divisions during Desert Storm.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, bies said:

Full fidelity clickable analog A-10A would be great. For now it is only FC3 aircraft version, non clickable cockpit etc.

A-10A in european green camouflage from 1970s-1980s, flying at very low altitute, dodging AAA, attacking Soviet tanks rolling through the Fulda Gap, evaiding Soviet interceptors having trouble finding maneuvering target against the ground - that would be my scenario to go with this bird. Or destroying Saddam's armored divisions during Desert Storm.

Okay I went back and had a closer look at both videos to compare what buttons/functions were featured in each. I think it would be more accurate to call it a clickable cockpit minus the animated switch movement of most features.

But I think it is too bad, and probably a missed opportunity on ED's part for not taking advantage of the benefits the mod community offers.  

1 hour ago, bies said:

i was stationed in germany in wildflecken, a front line base, in mid 1980s. the A-10 had the green camo. there are several user skins that use this camo which i use all the time. by the way, soviet and east german planes found their way over our motor pool all the time. by accident of course. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

This thread really made me laugh. Its like someone driving a car decides to buy a horse then complains they have to sit outside and the gears and indicators are all rubbish as well as the brakes 🙂

I guess more knowledge about the history of dcs and the legacy of the development of the aircraft would aid the o/p in understanding why the FC3 models are what they are, and not a load of bugs. I have the A10c as well now but bought the fc3 pack at the start of my dcs addiction as they gave me instantly a simpler introduction to dcs which was very affordable across a range of airframes and they are a lot of fun to fly and less complicated for the beginner.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...