Feedback Thread - F-14 Patch - JESTER LANTIRN + USS Forrestal - Oct 20th 2021 + Hotfix Oct 28th

IronMike

Dear all,

as always we would like to invite you for your feedback for today's patch. We are happy to finally present to you several major promised features:

The USS Forrestal. Not much to say, except: we really hope you enjoy it. We also heard you all loud and clear: you want Supercarrier features, and we want them, too. We'll do our best, so it will become available as such, too, ofc no promise yet. Please post any issues related to the USS Forrestal in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/284652-cv-59-forrestal-feedback-thread/?tab=comments#comment-4801642

JESTER LANTIRN. It was a tremendous effort to finally get it to where we are happy with it, and we are sure whatever input you have for us, will only help us to improve it in the future. Please post any issues related to JESTER LANTIRN in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/284653-jester-lantirn-feedback-thread/?tab=comments#comment-4801647

The EIG for the F-14B - at last, long promised and finally here. With all its bits and bobs. We hope you like!

A fully voiced mission "Training Day" to show you the ins and outs of the Lantirn pod in Singleplayer. With it come a set of new mission editor possibilities for Jester in general, and we cannot wait to see what the gifted mission creators of the community will do with them. Please enjoy!

And last but not least, a major first part of our FM overhaul. Known issue: the AP is currently slightly off and we are working to correct itl

Lastly, we would like to share the Forrestal Trailer, the LANTIRN tutorial by Redkite and the Training Day playthrough by Jabbers. Big thank you to both!

Thank you all for your kind patience with us, for your excellent feedback and for your ongoing support!

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Added CV-59 Forrestal Aircraft Carrier - an accurate and realistic representation of an 80’s era Forrestal, currently with standard DCS carrier capabilities, including:
    • A highly detailed and accurate visual model.
    • Catapulting and arresting wire systems.
    • Night lighting in various running modes.
    • Elevators and hangar parking for AI.
    • 12 parking spots + 4 active catapult spawn locations.
    • Point defence and Sea Sparrow defensive armament.
      • Known issues: The ship currently lacks a visual damage model (WIP).

• NEW: added a set of new static carrier vehicles created for the Forrestal for mission creators:
    • Added MD-3 Mule (Early) carrier tow/huffer.
    • Added HS-60 Forklift (Early) small aircraft carrier forklift.
    • Added CV-59 Large Forklift.
    • Added NS-60 Deck Tilly Crane.

• NEW: JESTER LANTIRN - a large upgrade to JESTER AI allowing for full control and use of the LANTIRN targeting pod and bombing systems:
    • Fully usable LANTIRN from the JESTER command window in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer.
    • Including all LANTIRN subfunctions, QWP, QDES, QSNO, QHUD, etc.
    • Ability to control JESTER (auto-)designation, laser usage, bhot/whot, area track and more.
    • Ability to let JESTER search for specific target types, like armor, SAM, ships, aircraft and more.
    • Ability to use QEYEBALLS and QDIRECT Head Control to steer the LANTIRN camera in real time.
    • JESTER will look at QMAPMARKER if created in F10 (and desired).
    • Ability to switch between TCS and LANTIRN.
    • JESTER will talk the player on to the target, including release queues, corrections in azimuth, countdowns and more.
    • JESTER awareness and LANTIRN preparation and operation based on situation (HUD mode = A2G, LANTIRN pod equipped, unit captured, etc.).
    • Ability to change laser codes and buddy lase.
    • JESTER core-functions like human limitations, mistakes etc. included.
    • With over 1.000 new JESTER voice calls recorded.

• NEW: Added back lighted Digital Engine Instrument Group (EIG) to the F-14B, replacing the original F-14A tape gauges.
  • NEW: New Engine malfunctions added to Mission Editor.
  • INST test fixes and upgrades:
    • EGT INST test - Indications will drive to maximum readings for 5 seconds and decrease afterwards to the specified test indications until the 15-second test is finished.
    • Engine Stall/Over Temperature warning sound is now activated during the test
    • Indication of the F-14A engine instruments adjusted to its proper readings during the test.
    • All Fuel Quantity Indicator tapes and bars indicate now 2,000 pounds during the test.

• NEW: Added fully voiced LANTIRN Showcase mission “Training Day” for Quickstart and Singleplayer (F-14A, Caucasus map).
  • NEW: Added 8x F-14A/B LANTIRN Quickstart missions to Marianas, NTTR, PG and Syria maps.
  • NEW: Added mission editor functions for a better implementation of the JESTER-AI in scripted mission environments, through the addition of “x:set command with value”:
    • 10009: value 1 = disables JESTER LANTIRN auto designate; value 0 = enables default.
    • 10010: value 1 = silences JESTER; value 0 = lets him talk again.
    • 10011: value 1 = disables JESTER: value 0 = enables him again.
    • 10012: value 0.01-0.99/1.00 = JESTER tracks target with unit name LantirnTarget01 - LantirnTarget99/LantirnTarget100; value 0 = returns to normal operations. (Exclusive with any previous 10012 or 10013 commands.)
    • 10013: value 0.01-0.99/1.00 = JESTER tracks zone with zone name LantirnZone01 - LantirnZone99/LantirnZone100; value 0 = returns to normal operations. (Exclusive with any previous 10013 or 10012 commands.)
    • 10014: Jester will try to designate the point or object under the LANTIRN cross (for example you can put a LantirnZone01 over a bridge and have him designate it).

• Major flight model accuracy and simulation improvement effort - we’ve been working closely with our main SME for several months to perfect the F-14’s handling and performance characteristics, and have now merged in the first set of work in progress changes:
    • Updated stores drag while mounted to the aircraft to correlate more closely with drag index data from performance manual and the aerodynamic benefits of mounting stores in the “tunnel”.
    • Updated flap and gear drag effects.
    • Updated flap deploy rate.
    • Updated speedbrake drag.
    • Updated overall airframe drag.
    • Updated ram/spillage drag.
    • Updated inlet pressure recovery at extremes of the flight envelope.
    • Fixes to stabilizer shift when activating DLC.
    • Increased spool down response to power reductions on both engines.
    • Fixed automatic maneuvering device deployment schedule.
    • Updated F-110 performance - required after airframe drag changes.
    • Updated TF-30 performance - required after airframe drag changes.
    • Slightly increased stabilizer travel.
    • Improved Yaw SAS effectiveness.
    • Slightly increased differential stabilizer roll power.
    • Static stability adjustments.
    • Adjusted gear pitch effect behavior.
    • Adjusted flaps pitch effect behavior.
    • Adjusted spoiler pitch effect behavior.
    • Adjusted pitch with power.
    • Adjusted TF30 mach lever RPM schedule.
    • Adjusted misc lateral-directional handling/behavior.
    • Adjusted longitudinal handling/behavior.

• Added HSD Heading and Course Knob keybind.
  • Fuel Quantity Indicator gauges now will not move unless electrical power is provided.
  • Adjusted F-14 collision model to better account for wings overswept.
  • AN/ALR-67 threat database updated to version RBA1: added Forrestal as FL, 19JS as TS, and SA-5 as 5.
  • Fixed COMPASS panel SYNC indicator needle showing reversed direction.
  • COMPASS panel SYNC indicator needle won’t deflect when syncing is disabled by the accelerometer.
  • Show TID scan pattern elevation coverage by range to TID cursor when shown (for F-14B and newer F-14A).
  • Use a more specific missile prefix on F-14B and newer F-14A for AIM-7 and AIM-54 on TID: PH/PHC for A vs C models, and 7F/7M/7H for sparrows.
  • Ignore doppler aspect upper/lower filters for PD-STT mode.
  • Fix doppler filter logic for upper and lower aspect switch bounds to ignore own speed.
  • Fix for PD surface targets not being ignored.
  • Fix for TID target aspect angle.
  • Fixed Zuni Rocket release sounds.
  • Synchronized weapon release sounds in multicrew.
  • Fixed Quickstart.lua reversion issues (all missions will now show again).
  • Fixed Campaign COOP missions being accidentally removed from the Missions/Multi folder.
  • Changed all Case1 non-SC Quickstart missions to USS Forrestal.
  • Replaced USS Stennis in several SP missions with the USS Forrestal (thank you Grimes!).
  • Several fixes to NTTR and Marianas Quickstart missions.
  • Fix extra 9L instead of 9M on some F-14B predefined loadouts with a mix of 9L/9M.
  • Fix predefined loadouts on F-14A variants: AIM-54A-MK47*2, AIM-7F*1, AIM-9L*4, XT*2.
  • Added VF-11 AE101 1988, VF-11 AE 103 1988 and VF-11 AE106 1988 by LanceCriminal86. Thank you!
  • Added VF-31 AE200 1988 and VF-31 AE204 1988 by LanceCriminal86 and Shmoo42. Thank you!

HOTFIX 28th Oct 2021

Since it is a hotfix, we will leave up this feedback thread, including the Hotfix. Thank you all for the great feedback so far, it is much appreciated as always!

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• Fixed CV-59 Forrestal LSO position after x axis offset.
  • Jester LANTIRN: Fixed crashes on landing gear down in LDG mode.
  • Jester LANTIRN: Don't show the QDES option when QDES is not available.
  • Jester LANTIRN: Static aircraft are no longer dead to Jester.
  • Rearming with LANTIRN within 4 minutes from hot spawn will result in the pod being installed as pre-aligned.
  • Jester will monitor the LANTIRN pod switch when idle on the ground.
  • Fixed Jester "Set active" not working after disabling Jester from the menu.
  • Taught Jester that you do not need an ejection to climb up in life, even when spawning low.
  • Adjusted longitudinal handling.
  • Removed pitch up effect in the early stage of flaps deployment.
  • Adjusted flaps pitching moment at lower AOAs.
  • Boosted TF30 thrust at very low altitudes and airspeeds.
  • Increased F110 subsonic core thrust at low altitudes.
  • Adjusted landing gear drag.
  • Partial fix to AP altitude hold not engaging and holding properly (WIP).
  • Partial adjustment of AP gains and handling (WIP).
  • Fixed TACAN for Caucasus and PG CV-59 Case1 Quickstart Missions.
  • Updated Fear the Bones Teaser Mission by Reflected Simulations.
  • Updated Zone 5 Teaser Mission by Reflected Simulations.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 15

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The JESTER LANTIRN AI is the most anticipated feature I was waiting on for the Tomcat. The USS Forrestal as well.

Would love to have working deck crew on the Forrestal, as it was advertised 3-4 years ago. Maybe a solution with ED could be, if you own the SC, the Forrestal could have the basic deckcrew that the SC has?

• Like 3

I'm guessing you removed the Ejection Seat Safety key mapping for one of the newer ones since it's no longer there?

Edit - Disregard, finally found it.

Edited by Steve Gee

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

• Added HSD Heading and Course Knob keybind.

Can't wait to see everything else, especially the Forrestal, EIG and new fight model tweaks,   but THANK YOU!  You rock! 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Fantastic patch. The AWG-9 PD modes seem to be rock solid after today!

Unfortunately the STT bug is still present (both PD and P STT). At short range this doesn't negatively impact Sparrows/Phoenixes, but they transition from normal guidance to pure neutral whenever the bug occurs, spoiling longer shots.

TWS seems better than ever 🙂

Edited by Noctrach

The Yaw SAS update is quite dramatic, in a good way from an ease-of-flying point of view 🙂 

After the update I jumped straight into the Case 1 CV59 IA mission, only to notice in the pattern that my controls had been unbound (except for the stick, I had to rebind everything again).
The pitch changes on flaps/gear/dlc are very noticeable! 

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Has anyone else lost all their HOTAS bindings. Mine are a mess after the patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

Jester Lantirn! Have been waiting for this...

Thanks for the huge amount of improvements!!! 

Can't wait to thest the F-14 out.

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

Yeah my bindings were wiped out.  Load button is grayed out....  looks like they're still in the saved games/dcs/config/input/F14 folder, though.   Anyone successfully reload them yet? 

And any missions that start cold or hot on the deck of the Forrestal?  I've flown by a couple times but without bindings...

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

My VKB loaded fine but Virpil throttle FUBAR with some bindings but not others.  Spent my lunch fighting with that. Deck did look kinda sparse from my flyby though and used to ignoring smoke as from the LHA in the BG.

Specs & Wishlist:

Had a problem with Jester LANTIRN:

Cold start on the Forrestal, reloaded from CAP to A/G with GBU-16, Mk20, two Mk82AIR, AIM-54, and LANTIRN pod. Powered up, took off, went to AG mode, waited for LANTIRN to power up, but never got any messages. Selected TCS from A/G Jester menu, then lost all LANTIRN options from there. Tried changing modes back and forth, nothing brought back LANTIRN options. Set Jester to inactive, then couldn't get him to activate again; completely stuck. Had to go to the back seat and jump between seats for testing.

Will try to replicate for a track in a controlled scenario.

Speaking of bloom, the IFLOS on Forestall blooms big time on the IA case I in daylight. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Checking out the awesome new EGT at night was a bit of a shocker 😬

Something really off about the instrument lights right now. Every dial is extermely over-lit even on lowest settings. Flood lights don't work at all. I did delete FXO and Metashaders as per usual.

image.png

4 minutes ago, Noctrach said:

Checking out the awesome new EGT at night was a bit of a shocker 😬

Something really off about the instrument lights right now. Every dial is extermely over-lit even on lowest settings. Flood lights don't work at all. I did delete FXO and Metashaders as per usual.

image.png

The DCS lighting changed again, so we need to re-do the lights completely unfortunately. We hope we can get it in before the next hotifx (if available), if not definitely next patch. Our apologies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

10 minutes ago, IronMike said:

The DCS lighting changed again, so we need to re-do the lights completely unfortunately. We hope we can get it in before the next hotifx (if available), if not definitely next patch. Our apologies.

Aaaah so the scream I heard earlier was probably just Cobra. I'm not entirely surprised that I could hear him all the way in the US 😄

On a more practical note, would you guys consider adding some Lantirn-specific keybinds for Jester, like we have some radar-specific ones?

Edited by TLTeo

12 minutes ago, IronMike said:

Can this somehow be discussed with ED internally? I don't think this is a reasonable state to be in going forward. Really sucks having to wait for a month to get it fixed yet again. 

Edited by Airhunter
  • Like 5