Feedback Thread - F-14 Patch - JESTER LANTIRN + USS Forrestal - Oct 20th 2021 + Hotfix Oct 28th

IronMike

@IronMike There is a issue with engines autothrottling to 90RPM when AOA is above 17 units (uncommanded). Issue is both if configured to land (L/G down and everything) and cleaned. Any time throttle is between idle and 90RPM if above 17AOA engines will spool up to 90RPM, physicaly moving throttles past 90RPM will spool engines past 90. At no point I touched autothrottle switch (remained at boost position). Checked F-14A only. Can you guys check?

Edited by Golo

19 minutes ago, Golo said:

@IronMike There is a issue with engines autothrottling to 90RPM when AOA is above 17 units (uncommanded). Issue is both if configured to land (L/G down and everything) and cleaned. Any time throttle is between idle and 90RPM if above 17AOA engines will spool up to 90RPM, physicaly moving throttles past 90RPM will spool engines past 90. At no point I touched autothrottle switch (remained at boost position). Checked F-14A only. Can you guys check?

image.png

This is a feature of the TF30 and has been there since the F-14A released.

Edited by fat creason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

27 minutes ago, fat creason said:

This is a feature of the TF30 and has been there since the F-14A released.

I see that its in a changelog, but I dont recall that ever happening before this update, and I did plenty of stall tests like today.

Anyway I can see that its correct, my bad.     

Edited by Golo

I absolutely love the new TID cursor antenna elevation limits! I no longer have to have my calculator next to me using the formulas that Karon made. 

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

11 hours ago, IronMike said:

The DCS lighting changed again, so we need to re-do the lights completely unfortunately. We hope we can get it in before the next hotifx (if available), if not definitely next patch. Our apologies.

@IronMike When you redo the lights again, can you re-examine the tail anti collision lights and TCS (red flashing lights) they look extremely dim and barely visible from even half mile away flying in formation at night  and almost completely invisible in day time from a spread formation... Dunno if LOD issue or what.

https://www.google.com/search?q=f-14+night&sxsrf=AOaemvKX9Nzxwl65ntl1Qn3IjhhFVDGhtQ:1634773579221&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi43uiTltrzAhV-rHIEHZP7D6kQ_AUIBigB&biw=802&bih=397

f-14-vf-31-top.jpg?fit=1280,914&ssl=1

Edited by Baz000
  • Like 1

Just messed with the new Forrestal in some Case Is, and I noticed that with DLC out, the nose climbs considerably compared to what it was. It's interesting to see my muscle memory with the aft DLC not working anymore, seeing as how the nose goes the complete opposite way. It's definitely weird to have DLC aft and foward both put the nose up

Edited by BreaKKer
  • Like 1

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Jester doesn't turn on the LANTIRN pod immediately when switching to A/G after taking off. Or it takes 10 years for the LANTIRN to be operational after takeoff.

Edited by DSplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

35 minutes ago, near_blind said:

LANTIRN takes ~10 minutes to spool up from the time Jester hits the power button.

Ah that's understandable then! I kinda have to start circling my target area since I usually get to it first before the pod starts showing up "NOT READY"

4 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Flood lights borked for me too. Speaking of lighting, is there anyway to adjust the brightness of the new EIG? I can only adjust the red backlighting via the instruments wheel, but the white digital tapes are always full brightness.

I didn't run a night mission yet but they seem kinda dim in daylight.  Do they change with instrument or console lighting?  My bindings are all jacked up and haven't redone those yet.

Case I on the Forrestal kicked my butt mostly because the power changes are throwing me off and I had 5 or 6 bolters in a row.  Finally got down.  Kinda ugly lol.   I mean it's well textured but it's definitely a dirty and grimy carrier.  The SC are probably too clean.  Would have loved to see what HB could do with Enterprise.  Maybe I'll go back to hoping ED will do it for the Supercarrier.

I did get down fine on the Truman in the A after spanking the Flanker (lol at the rename of the IA) and was still able to refuel fine from the S3.  Then I did the Syria IA Case I with the F-14B and that was fine, too though the spooldown effect meant I had to the throttle way down.  Also had to slightly tweak the curve on my throttle because max mil was engaging AB.  Probably due to the engine retune after the aero changes.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

2 hours ago, Uxi said:

Also had to slightly tweak the curve on my throttle because max mil was engaging AB.  Probably due to the engine retune after the aero changes.

Wouldn't recommend. The cans will light if throttles get advanced quickly, that is normal. If you inch your throttles forward, then they will not light below mil power. If you slam them, you will see ABs light at surprisingly low RPMs.

• Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Flap behavior seems abnormal, but I'll defer to Victory for final comment. Pitching moment should be down for flaps retraction and up for flaps extension. I know the horizontal stab is auto adjusted to smooth these out. Currently, both flaps retract and extend cause a nose up pitching moment (flaps retract is much greater than flaps extend). Seems excessive and backwards. I can get the nose to climb to 20-30 degrees by just cycling the flaps...

Edited by mattag08
  • Like 1

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

1 hour ago, mattag08 said:

Flap behavior seems abnormal, but I'll defer to Victory for final comment. Pitching moment should be down for flaps retraction and up for flaps extension.

I'm not Victory but I can tell you that extending flaps on any aircraft will result in a pitch-down moment due to the center of lift shifting backwards.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

8 hours ago, IronMike said:

Wouldn't recommend. The cans will light if throttles get advanced quickly, that is normal. If you inch your throttles forward, then they will not light below mil power. If you slam them, you will see ABs light at surprisingly low RPMs.

Was going quite slow. I have 3d printed detents for a Virpil T-50CM v3 (last of original big base). Previous curve was -15 but had to adjust to -12. 

Did careful deliberate test in the F-14A when I heard the popping. Only briefly played F-14B last night but did confirm they didn't light at my throttles physical mil limit after that. 

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

16 hours ago, IronMike said:

The DCS lighting changed again, so we need to re-do the lights completely unfortunately.

The joys of being a 3rd party developer 😜 At least it keeps you busy - and hopefully not too frustrated 😉 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

9 hours ago, Uxi said:

I didn't run a night mission yet but they seem kinda dim in daylight.  Do they change with instrument or console lighting?  My bindings are all jacked up and haven't redone those yet.

Instrument lighting wheel only affects the red backlight, not the white digital tapes. Console lighting doesn't affect it. I like a dark cockpit at night and the tapes are the brightest thing in my pit. I don't know if you've ever flown the F-18 module, but it's similar to flying at night with the Day setting on, and the IEFI panel white and unable to be dimmed.

I was waiting for this one. A lot of guys that flew the Digital engine gauges liked the analog ones better. 🙃

3 hours ago, sLYFa said:

I'm not Victory but I can tell you that extending flaps on any aircraft will result in a pitch-down moment due to the center of lift shifting backwards.

The initial part of main flap extension causes a pitch up, followed by a pitch down. There is a reference to it in NATOPS handling characteristics if you want to read further about the trim offsets. Right now, the pitch down portion in the sim is there, but it is a little weak. 

• Thanks 1

Viewpoints are my own.