Feedback Thread - F-14 Patch - JESTER LANTIRN + USS Forrestal - Oct 20th 2021 + Hotfix Oct 28th

IronMike

32 minutes ago, Airhunter said:

I feel like the DEIG readout might be a bit on the dim side during the day.

Screen_211021_174833.png

VF-11_Red_Rippers_Cruise_2004.gif

The relative illumination and WB of those two images aren't remotely comparable.  If you look closely, the HDG BRT in the video image is roughly the same brightness as the scales; the same is observed in the DCS image.  It's the rest of the reflected light that isn't the same. 

1 minute ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Damn, so that's just the way it is? I don't suppose there was a red piece of plastic we could clip on top like for the HUD and VDI?

1 hour ago, AvroLanc said:

Shouldn't the Engine Nozzle Area gauges (maybe not correct name) show percentages for the F110's instead of the 1-5 'Zones' of the TF30?

Yes, @Cobra847will swap out the card on the gauge for the proper one soon, just didn't get to it in time for this patch.

• Thanks 4

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

2 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Damn, so that's just the way it is? I don't suppose there was a red piece of plastic we could clip on top like for the HUD and VDI?

Kinda dumb they didn't integrate in with the illumination adjustment. Someone at Grumman messed up. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Something a bit different: was the TCS glass cover retextured for this patch? Perhaps it's my imagination, or perhaps its due to some new shaders ED implemented, but I'd swear it looks different 🤔

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On the new F-14B EGIT gauges is the FF not supposed to increase in full burner?  It stayed at 8000 engaging the burner. When I drop out of burner, it blips down to 7000 to going back to 8000 at mil.  I didn't see temperature changing, either....

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Dunno about the B but the Natops for the A specifically did state that the FF for the engines in AB is not indicated on the FF tape, it's only reading from MIL to IDLE... Suppose maybe the same stipulation applies to the B?

I read somewhere that FF increases 4 fold in AB than in MIL in the A...

The B however, does have significantly more fuel efficient engines than the A.

• Like 1

Could the fuel gauge be looked at again? I understand it wont move without electric power on the jet but A- it shouln't read 0 at spawn since the jet is unlikely to have been be shut down with empty tanks and B- the bingo counter should move regardless of electrical power (at least I think so since setting bingo is part of the cockpit prep before power is connected)

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

3 hours ago, sLYFa said:

Could the fuel gauge be looked at again? I understand it wont move without electric power on the jet but A- it shouln't read 0 at spawn since the jet is unlikely to have been be shut down with empty tanks

Fuel measurement uses capacitance fuel probes, from what I know they need electric power to function, no power no readout.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, IronMike said:

A fully voiced mission "Training Day" to show you the ins and outs of the Lantirn pod in Singleplayer.

Wow, thanks for another masterpiece of a mission! With over 2 hours play time I don't know why it is in the Instant Action category. I highly recommend any Tomcat SP pilot to play it.

And I concur, HB, you should talk about that lighting changes with ED - I don't believe they do that to their all assets, maps and modules with every alpha or whatever change in an update - it must be something missing, like some additional value or coefficient - to not do it every time manually. I believe you're smart enough to have already ask them anyway, sorry, just a loud thinking and disbelief.

@Jayhawk1971 You can delete the \saved games\dcs\config\input\F-14B folder - it's old and not used anymore.

@krayons213 Isn't it that easy to just make Case III/night conditions to get Forrestal to lit up?

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 10/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, sLYFa said:

I'm not Victory but I can tell you that extending flaps on any aircraft will result in a pitch-down moment due to the center of lift shifting backwards.

Simply not correct. The most common trainer in the world, the 172 requires forward pressure to counteract flap deployment. I've flown at least a few more aircraft that have this behavior. The physics are not as simple as "it always does X". However, whatever flap deployment does, you expect flap retraction to do the opposite, which is my point. 

11 hours ago, Uxi said:

On the new F-14B EGIT gauges is the FF not supposed to increase in full burner?  It stayed at 8000 engaging the burner. When I drop out of burner, it blips down to 7000 to going back to 8000 at mil.  I didn't see temperature changing, either....

I believe the point where fuel flow is measured is ahead of/not connected to the A/B fuel lines, so it can't measure the A/B FF.

• Like 1

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

On 10/21/2021 at 11:13 AM, Victory205 said:

I was waiting for this one. A lot of guys that flew the Digital engine gauges liked the analog ones better. 🙃

The initial part of main flap extension causes a pitch up, followed by a pitch down. There is a reference to it in NATOPS handling characteristics if you want to read further about the trim offsets. Right now, the pitch down portion in the sim is there, but it is a little weak. 

Is there supposed to also be a pitch up with flap retraction? That's what I'm seeing in the sim at the moment. 

• Like 1

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

1 hour ago, mattag08 said:

Simply not correct. The most common trainer in the world, the 172 requires forward pressure to counteract flap deployment. I've flown at least a few more aircraft that have this behavior.

I've flown Cessnas too and putting forward pressure on the yoke during flap extension is to counteract the sudden increase in lift to maintain altitude/GS. The pitch down moment is there, how much it effects your flight control input to get your plane where you want it to is a whole different story though.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Not sure what has gone on with the config diff files, I backup my diff files before every update and usually just copy them back and its ok.  This time it copies them back but merges them with the default.  i.e my warthog throttle has BTN21 assigned to the default and also what I have in my diff so it doesn't work.

I've just reset it to default and then changed them to how they should be and backed them up.

For the lighting that people are reporting in here.  I notice it the most in Fear the bones campaign mis 1, at night its super bright.  mis 3 in the morning you can't turn on the lights bright enough.

vor 48 Minuten schrieb hasole:

I notice it the most in Fear the bones campaign mis 1, at night its super bright.  mis 3 in the morning you can't turn on the lights bright enough.

Could you check Mission 11 (Dawn Patrol) whether you too experience that everything inside the cockpit - including displays, most notably the VDI - get dim when flying under a cloud? Just to verify that it's not just me.

One would think backlit gauges and especially displays should seem brighter when the outside light sources get dimmer. 

Edited by Jayhawk1971

32 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Could you check Mission 11 (Dawn Patrol) whether you too experience that everything inside the cockpit - including displays, most notably the VDI - get dim when flying under a cloud? Just to verify that it's not just me.

One would think backlit gauges and especially displays should seem brighter when the outside light sources get dimmer. 

I'm not that far ahead, if I skip will there be any spoilers from starting the mission to getting up in the clouds?

vor 10 Minuten schrieb hasole:

I'm not that far ahead, if I skip will there be any spoilers from starting the mission to getting up in the clouds?

That would depend on how far you are so far, but I'd say yes, there are spoilers. There's some radio banter and "CNN news update" shortly after launch which progress the story.

Didn't know you were on your first playthrough, so of course please do take your time and enjoy the campaign without skipping ahead! The issue is not that urgent. You're in for quite a ride. It's a great campaign. 🙂 

Maybe someone from HB will take a look at it, or someone else who's already finished the campaign

Edited by Jayhawk1971

4 hours ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

That would depend on how far you are so far, but I'd say yes, there are spoilers. There's some radio banter and "CNN news update" shortly after launch which progress the story.

Didn't know you were on your first playthrough, so of course please do take your time and enjoy the campaign without skipping ahead! The issue is not that urgent. You're in for quite a ride. It's a great campaign. 🙂 

Maybe someone from HB will take a look at it, or someone else who's already finished the campaign

I'll let you know when I get there 🙂

I have just done some gear/flaps, pitch moment tests and I have some notes/questions.

Test conditions: F-14A, clean config, around 5k ft, at 15 AOA, trimmed to hands off level flight, at about 8k fuel.

When lowering gear alone (flaps up), there is a some pitch down moment which is what I would expect, razing gear will produce pitch up moment which is also OK imo. Next with same conditions when lowering flaps (gear up) there is also some pitch down moment, again OK as I wold expect. When razing the flaps there is a pitch up, again OK as expected.

So far so good, but now comes the wtf moment for me.

Same test conditions, I lower the gear (flaps still up) there is that pitch down, I compensate for it still holding 15 AOA, then I lower the flaps and instead of pitch down as I expected (from before that I tested flaps only) there is a quite a pitch up. Nose goes to 20° pitch line, 3k fmp up, I watch it still hands off as doing that bleeds off enough speed so it sets back to 15AOA at lower speed higher alt. Interesting, I raze the flaps just to see what happens and there is again pitch up now to 25° pitch line, AOA goes to 11 as they say (actually to 25) and Im in stall prevention mode.

Interesting. Now, why would flaps have different pitch moments just because of the gear state? With gear up they have pitch down moment as I would expect. With gear down they have pitch up moment. Why? All this at on speed 15AOA. Why are they not behave same regardless of gear position?       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1