CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

Noticed a couple small things - the forward "tabs" off the bow (I don't know what they are called) you can see through to the sea below (note bow wake visible through them).
The underside of these extensions is not attached to the upper surface, and they sit forward somewhat like an underbite.

Second screenshot there is a gash/scar near the one (left in image) porthole, if that it what that is.

Screen_211020_195755.png

Screen_211020_195832.png

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.

2 hours ago, Baz000 said:

You wouldn't park F-14s there, that in front of the island is called the "Helo Hole" and the helicopters park there with folded blades... Also, more towards the aft of the island from the Helo Hole is where the E-2Cs would be parked.

Generally speaking of course, at start of flight operations... Often on a full flight deck you would see F-14s needed to launch on that cycle being parked right over the fantail right along the landing deck.

The Helo hole on Forrestal class ships were different from those of the Nimitz and other carriers. The way those ship operated was tailored to that type ship. So technically @MBotis correct. See the source imageSee the source image

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

42 minutes ago, Wesjet said:

Noticed a couple small things - the forward "tabs" off the bow (I don't know what they are called) you can see through to the sea below (note bow wake visible through them).
The underside of these extensions is not attached to the upper surface, and they sit forward somewhat like an underbite.

Second screenshot there is a gash/scar near the one (left in image) porthole, if that it what that is.

Screen_211020_195755.png

Screen_211020_195832.png

Those are called Bridle catchers, brother. They are from the days when we used Bridles instead of a launch bar. The Carl Vinson had one on the bow in her later years and the Kennedy had one on the waist with "JFK" written on it. These were deleted as the last Bridle A/C left the fleet! The Truman launched the last bridle equipped A/C from the Training Command, a T-2 Buckeye. The port holes are just that. I've never been on a Forrestal class ship but these port holes are in a berthing onboard The GW! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

Those are called Bridle catchers, brother. They are from the days when we used Bridles instead of a launch bar. The Carl Vinson had one on the bow in her later years and the Kennedy had one on the waist with "JFK" written on it. These were deleted as the last Bridle A/C left the fleet! The Truman launched the last bridle equipped A/C from the Training Command, a T-2 Buckeye.

Your message triggered something in my brain, and I remembered reading this article about them:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/7099/__trashed-9

• Like 1

I love the new ship! The different deck layout, the smoke, the textures, and also the new, yellow deck equipment...

Things I'd like to see implemented: Visible crew behind the windows, the ability to place LSOs on the platform, working propellers.

I'm not too sure though if I like the deck vehicles that are baked into the 3d model around the superstructure. They are located in areas where I'd like to put the crane.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

6 minutes ago, Tomcatter87 said:

I love the new ship! The different deck layout, the smoke, the textures, and also the new, yellow deck equipment...

Things I'd like to see implemented: Visible crew behind the windows, the ability to place LSOs on the platform, working propellers.

I'm not too sure though if I like the deck vehicles that are baked into the 3d model around the superstructure. They are located in areas where I'd like to put the crane.

It looks like the artist tried to portray what's called the "junk yard". It's actually correct with minor details here and there. There was a post earlier about the crane forward of the island. The thing is, that's where it stayed IRL, back in the day. 

I'd like it if we got the Flight deck status lights, as well as the crew behind the windows. The Handler looking out would be cool!

• Like 1

Probably more of an ED problem, but this is my observation of ships in general, and based on the above screenshot the Forrestal exhibits the same visual anomaly as every other surface ship in DCS.

Edited by Baz000
  • Like 3

Found something else, the covers on the cells of the Mk29 launchers remain when firing.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The Forrestal looks awesome, just a couple of quick nitpicks after my first landing attempt.

I flew one of the F-14B Case I approach Instant Action Missions, although I wasn't paying attention to which map I was on.

The runway lines are all but invisible from any significant distance, especially since the mission seems to be in the early morning or late afternoon, again I didn't think to check the time of the mission.

Also, on this particular mission, one of the static Tomcats was parked too close to the forward end of the angle, I crashed into it after I boltered.

If I run into these issues again, I'll try to remember more specific details.

A beautiful model for sure. One strange thing is that it appears very dark compared to other ships in DCS

Screen_211021_223219.jpg

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Landing on the Forrestal causes damage: a minute amount on a successful trap, a larger amount on a bolter/touch and go. As tracks are totally unreliable, this may take several viewings to see the effect in action. The test mission has a readout that gives Forrestal health at the start (7300 hit points) and at landing/bolter (depending on the track status on viewing, it can be 7266 or lower on a touchdown).

F-14A CV-59 Damaged.trk

• Like 1