CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

On 10/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, some1 said:

A beautiful model for sure. One strange thing is that it appears very dark compared to other ships in DCS

Screen_211021_223219.jpg

Yep, indeed the bold it's true unfortunatelly.

From less than 1 mile away on the glideslope it looks somewhat like a dark blur, even in good climate conditions and with 2.0 gamma settings.

Not very practical for me...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

5 hours ago, Tomcatter87 said:

I noticed that I tend to spawn in the Tomcat with the Nose Wheel Strut DOWN - dunno why that's the case.

That's strange.  Never saw that. For some reason some of my NTTR saved games always spawn now with the nose wheel all the way to the left.  IIRC something to do with DCS remembering the last state of the aircraft in that config? 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

1 hour ago, Top Jockey said:

From less than 1 mile away on the glideslope it looks somewhat like a dark blur, even in good climate conditions and with 2.0 gamma settings.

I stand corrected:

- the default Instant Action mission (Case 1 recovery on the CVN Forrestal, does have a cloudy sky on January - which hinders visibility);

- after editing this mission, to clear skies in June, the CVN Forrestal's runway and structures do become considerably sharper and clearer.

• Like 3

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

15 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!

Re the darkness of the key grey; I'm pretty confident we have the right albedo value presently.
Of note is that we master all of our artwork for a default tonemapper gamma of 2.2.

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

1 hour ago, Cobra847 said:

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!

Re the darkness of the key grey; I'm pretty confident we have the right albedo value presently.
Of note is that we master all of our artwork for a default tonemapper gamma of 2.2.

Sure, I don't doubt it, and I really like the 'classic era' feeling this ship portrays, details like for instance the island placed roughly at midship.

I just wasn't used to the fact that, the Forrestal is indeed a somewhat darker ship in real life when comparing with other Carriers.

Causing that, unless landing aboard with clear skies, I couldn't easily differentiate when does the top of the deck (runway) begins and the stern of the ship ends - favoring that in certain conditions there could occur a ramp strike.

... and I don't want to get killed, so I'm turning in my wings like Cougar did.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

2 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Of note is that we master all of our artwork for a default tonemapper gamma of 2.2

Hmmm that could explain a few things: I use 1.6 for gamma since everything above that is too bright and the colours are too washed out. This is in VR (on a Reverb G2), were we can't edit any "monitor controls": you end up with factory calibration and that's that.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

In multiplayer I'm experiencing a spawn damage/desync issue.

e.g. Tomcat 1 spawns in cold on the starboard elevator ahead of the island.  Tomcat 2 spawns in cold, right next to him, and both planes instantly take damage.

I thought this old issue was resolved.  Anything we can do about this?

Love the model though - it's beautiful.  Another first class effort from Heatblur.

6 minutes ago, joey45 said:

I just wondering if you're gonna add the hold back bar???

That's an SC feature part of the ground crew so if SC compatibility gets added.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Noticed some FPS drop and stutters when very near the Forrestal / few seconds before touch down at the runway.

(It seems a little bit more resource intensive than the John C. Stennis carrier.)

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Surpirsed no one mentioned the following point already.

Case 3 landings the runway lights and the boat lights itself are not visable until almost in the groove, literally they appear mile and a half ish.

Please can we see the runway deck lights from much further out !

Also as reported datum lights need tweaking, meatball not visable enough either and unusable during daytime.

Lastly great job Cobra & Heatblur team - looks fantastic the deck is so so much better than the SP! 

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

1 hour ago, Uxi said:

That's an SC feature part of the ground crew so if SC compatibility gets added.

I've added the holdback bar to my test mod and it works..

And some other mods has it as well..

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

5 minutes ago, joey45 said:

I've added the holdback bar to my test mod and it works..

And some other mods has it as well..

Nice.  Have you tried doing the deck crew through the lua yet?

Specs & Wishlist:

6 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

Sure, I don't doubt it, and I really like the 'classic era' feeling this ship portrays, details like for instance the island placed roughly at midship.

I just wasn't used to the fact that, the Forrestal is indeed a somewhat darker ship in real life when comparing with other Carriers.

It wasn't much darker in real life (apart from black superstructure). It's just that colors of various ships in DCS are all over the place. Not surprising considering the models were added over the span of more than 20 years and multiple game lighting implementations.  

Screen_211023_235107.jpg

At least the far LOD may require some adjustment

Screen_211023_235116.jpg

Image567.jpg

• Like 3

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 hour ago, some1 said:

It wasn't much darker in real life (apart from black superstructure). It's just that colors of various ships in DCS are all over the place. Not surprising considering the models were added over the span of more than 20 years and multiple game lighting implementations.  

Screen_211023_235107.jpg

At least the far LOD may require some adjustment

Screen_211023_235116.jpg

Image567.jpg

Yep, I must also agree, those pics tell everything.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

In SP I can hook up to the cats, but it won't let me launch with the F-14 (haven't tried other jets yet).  I can hook up and launch in MP though.  

I've tried using both the radio menu "salute" command and the left ctrl + U.  And I just sit there, no launchy launch.  

Is there something different I need to do?/

Dumb question perhaps, but I don't seem to be able to place the Forrestal in the ME, even if I set the timestamp/date to 1988..

It doesn't appear in the drop down list..

Yes I have the F14 module too

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

54 minutes ago, Oban said:

Dumb question perhaps, but I don't seem to be able to place the Forrestal in the ME, even if I set the timestamp/date to 1988..

It doesn't appear in the drop down list..

Yes I have the F14 module too

I don't know if your issue is this, but it is possible to EDIT the Instant Action mission - Case 1 recovery (where the Forrestal is also), tipically they are at:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Missions\QuickStart

• Like 1

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

As stated, in VR the FLOLS is unusable with too much glow/bloom (a problem not only from CV-59 but also Supercarrier module although ED reduced the glow a little). I think it will work better if the carriers FLOLS/IFLOLS use same method of PDL lights of KC-135 or taxiway lights of airbases without the bloom.

Hope there´s a better way to approach this issue in the future.

Besides that, outstanding work and thank you HB.

Best regards,

F-

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1 hour ago, Top Jockey said:

I don't know if your issue is this, but it is possible to EDIT the Instant Action mission - Case 1 recovery (where the Forrestal is also), tipically they are at:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Missions\QuickStart

I shall give that a try sir, thanks

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit